Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3440414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden Survivor

Border Rebel

Default Re: Long Road Out of Eden Survivor

Waiting in the Weeds - It has a great melody, and it's well sung with lovely instrumentation, but the lyrics just knock it out of the park, IMHO. My favorite Eagles song and possibly my favorite song period.

How Long
    "a full refund...in dollars and in karma"

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

WAITING IN THE WEEDS FOR THE WIN!

Oh my gosh, I just can't even say how much I love this song! The first time I heard it it just took my breath away! I know I've said that many times before, but it's true! I think Don and Steuart outdid themselves on this one. I think it's beautiful and epic and a masterpiece! The play on words.....the gorgeous piano at the end.....nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it. Need I say more? Love!

WAITING IN THE WEEDS!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    WAITING IN THE WEEDS FOR THE WIN!

Oh my gosh, I just can't even say how much I love this song! The first time I heard it it just took my breath away! I know I've said that many times before, but it's true! I think Don and Steuart outdid themselves on this one. I think it's beautiful and epic and a masterpiece! The play on words.....the gorgeous piano at the end.....nearly brings me to tears every time I hear it. Need I say more? Love!

WAITING IN THE WEEDS!
    Brooke, I agree, WAITING IN THE WEEDS is the quintessential song representing this album. It is so beautiful.The lyrics, the harmonies, the instrumentals, all magnificent... It also took my breath away,....I cannot see a song not written by the Eagles win this
    WAITING IN THE WEEDS FOR THE WIN

How Long for the win!

Stuck on the Border

Waiting In the Weeds

It wasn't my choice but it's a much better song than How Long.

I love How Long and I hate Long Road Out of Eden is gone

So I'm voting for Waiting IN The Weeds for the win. One of my favorite top 5 songs from the album.

I love How Long but Waiting In The Weeds gets my vote to win. I think it's in line to be a classic Eagles song and I love the lyrics and the music and well everything about it really
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Wow! This feels like a Ping Pong match.

I believe the two standout tracks on this album are the same two that have made it to the final round now in all of our LROOE games. IMHO, How Long and Waiting In the Weeds are the two songs that deserve to duke it out in the end. I think Waiting In the Weeds is an absolutely gorgeous song. . The song has great lyrics, music, vocals, and harmonies – all the ingredients for a perfect Eagles song. It is obviously a fan favorite. However, I believe How Long equally passes this test, as well. It’s up to each of us individually to decide what criteria we use to judge which of these song should prevail.

While Waiting in the Weeds is a beautiful song, my only criticism is that it sounds more like a Don solo song than Eagles. We have said the same thing in this game about several of the songs sounding more like solo efforts than collaborations. When I listen to How Long, I hear the band I first fell in love with in the early 70’s, and I'm sure that nostalgia is partially what makes me love the song and want to hold on to it. Because it is more of a collaborative effort, it just seems more “Eagley” than WITW. If you want to penalize the song because it was written by J.D. Souther, just remember that Jackson Browne basically wrote almost all of Take It Easy, with Glenn only contributing a few lines. I don’t think anyone would ever claim that this is not one of THE definitive Eagles songs. And just for another example, Jack Tempchin wrote two other definitive Eagles' songs - Peaceful Easy Feeling and Already Gone. IMO, How Long has emerged as the definitive song from the LROOE album. It was the band’s only hit song and garnered the band its first Grammy from the album. It is the song the band opened their live LROOE shows with, and virtually all the marketing and promotion for the album used the song. Barring any changes, my guess is that in years to come that it will be the song that is best remembered from the LROOE era.

I vote for How Long for the win!!!!!!!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Well. Dreamer you have stated your case, but to me How Long sounds like an old time Eagles song, where Waiting In the Weeds sounds like a new more grown up & mature Eagles sound. Lyricly, to me there is no comparison of these 2 songs. How Long is a catchy hook, where WITW is a lovely meaningful twist of smart lyrics & the harmonies are beautiful. I love when Tim comes in on the last chorus & it all sounds so beautifully melodic & it always makes me feel calm & relaxed when I hear it on my way home from a stressed out day at work. I heard Tim say that the song is just brilliant, & I have to agree.
    I don't think it sounds like a Don solo song at all even though Don sings it, he sings many other songs as well.
    WITW deserves the WIN!