Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
I've spent some time with CC on CD and on Spotify.

I can say that at first I was very nervous. I'm NOT an old country guy. The steel guitar and the "my dog died, the wife left me, and I'm drinking my brains out" doesn't do much for this rock n' roll junkie. Most of that classic Hank Sr, Haggard, etc stuff puts me to sleep....

BUT....I love the way Don did these songs with himself and several guests. For whatever reason they are more palatable than the original tunes and the way he sings it isn't so damn boring! I realize my words are quite strong for a "classic" fan of country music, but those would be the same people that offend me when they get to bashing some rock stuff or new country, which I unashamedly love. Perhaps I'm a biased Henley fan, perhaps it was the fact that the people who played on this record I've listened to before I loved their style, or perhaps it was just not so melodramatic and "fogey". But regardless, I've enjoyed this album.

Now, I'm not going to break it down song by song but there isn't much I don't like off of this record. Again, I'm as surprised as anyone. I was ready to write "BORING" in a more polite way, to sum it up, but the music and Don's voice were the saving grace for me and made my ears stayed focused throughout.

For me, without a doubt my favorite is That Old Flame with guest Martina McBride. The rockin' power chord "building up" sound and the guitar solo are some much needed "rock edge" to this otherwise traditional country sound of this song...

I prefer the modern country sound, which is more rock n' roll (and now more RnB influenced), and not so much the steel guitar and tear in my beer stuff. I LOVE modern Nashville rockin' guitar, a throwback to the 70s and 80s. I looked at the credits and I recognized several of the players on TOF. Most of them play on the new country stuff, so I knew that was why.

I'm one who buys Florida Georgia Line songs because they've got great guitars on them and some of them are fun (albeit not deep lyrically, but I don't need that as much as some do, who would likely prefer the storytelling of classic/traditional country/western music and not mind what would bore me to death...) I have no problem admitting I like the new stuff, as formulaic as it is. It is miles more palatable for me than LA pop or classic country. For me I enjoyed more of the rock sound than the new RnB sound, but I'm gonna ride that wave. But for me country music that I like can be heard on songs like Jason Aldean's "Hicktown" or Eric Church's "Drink In My Hand". Rock n' roll throwback guitar with some country-esque vocals made for a younger crowd. Not so much the beer/tears thing, more about country life in the 2000's forward with trucks, ATVs, and such.

Everything I've said about me not caring for classic country (other than some standout 90s songs with some edge to them), I've enjoyed this album and it's a really good thing to have a new album from Don... Since his last solo effort, all of the Eagles have put out SOMETHING. Glenn, Joe, even Tim.

That said, I think from an early standpoint I knew it was worth it. Even as someone who initially turned his nose up at the idea. I've got select songs in my playlist on Spotify and the CD is still in my stereo's 5-disc CD player and hasn't left since I got it. I think this is one of those albums that would sound good on vinyl... Mostly I only like old vinyl records as the new stuff usually is digital to begin with but there is a certain sound I hear on the CD that I think would sound good on a LP. Maybe I'll buy it later on.

All in all, I have to give it a very surprising (to me) 2 thumbs up. Even if you are like me and yawn at the thought of someone singing a George Jones classic - give the album a try. Don puts a much needed spin on these songs. I really think it's worth the entry fee, so to speak. And this is coming from someone who never thought it would for himself.

Austin have you heard the steel guitar on CSNY Teach Your Children Well? It isn't a tear in your beer steel it's fabulous.