Thread: Cass County Reviews

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

Default Cass County Reviews

NPR Stream: http://www.npr.org/2015/09/17/440361...ey-cass-county

Don Henley's Cass County site: http://www.donhenley.com/news/254273

Well I certainly had misgivings about Cass County, judging, not only by the preview tracks but also by all Henley's output since the Eagles HFO reunion, 20 years ago. I most definitely wasn't looking forward to a country music album.

Honestly, I'm stunned by how much I like it. This is Don, growing as an artist for the first time since The End Of The Innocence. I think he may have even outgrown the Eagles. That, the whole is more than the sum of it's parts, nonsense doesn't cut it any more. Cass County is easily better than Long Road Out Of Eden. The songs are stronger, the covers, better chosen and the special guests give it a communal feel that seemed to evade the last Eagles effort.

I listened to Tift Merrit's Bramble Rose when I heard Don was going to cover it. I was underwhelmed. Performing it as a triplet or trio has turned it into a classic. I've already listened to it countless times.

The Cost Of Living is destined to be another favourite. Great song with two great vocal performances.

Don's not as convincing on the up tempo numbers but No, Thank You. It has a great Henley lyrics "Like a drunkard in the night, swinging left and swinging right" paints a great image.

One thing I was not expecting was a rerun of mid 70s Eagles glories. Waiting Tables is as close to Lying Eyes as anything anyone's released since.

Take A Picture Of This has a hint of Busy Being Fabulous about it. I like the little drum hook and the bridge but Henley's vocal tone, I'm not not so enamoured with.

Too Far Gone is a slow, piano blues waltz, with a rich helping of melancholic pedal-steel guitar, beautifully played and sung.

That Old Flame has got a bit of tempo and an almost, rock guitar accompanying the girl/boy, man/woman lead vocals.

The Brand New Tennessee Waltz is actually a pretty, old-school, mandolin, country fiddle tune.

Words Can Break Your Heart also harks back to Busy Being Fabulous and has a pleasing chorus.

When I Stop Dreaming is also an old school country vocal duet. Don and Dolly pull it off nicely.

Praying For Rain's has attractive lyrics. It has a strong eco friendly message without the lecturing tone that marred the last Eagles album.

Too Much Pride is one of the songs that I'm not fond of. Don may be able to sing the phone book but Ray Charles, honky-tonk, piano country is not to my taste, no matter who's singing it.

She Sang Hymns Out Of Tune reminds me, in content and tone, of The Beatles Norwegian Wood. Very different to Henley's usual stuff. I'm surprised it's only a bonus track. It'sdefinitely one of my favourites.

Train In The Distance is such an evocative title. Paul Simon did it justice in the 80s. I'm pleased to say that Don's TITD comfortably matches it. It helps to have the sound of a train in the distance on the track too.

Younger Man is already a firm favourite. Musically it's an easier on the ear Damn It Rose. I remember hearing Glenn introducing The Girl From Yesterday with the tag line "Destined to be a country classic". That's how I'd describe YM.

Can the same guy that knows "You're looking for a Younger Man" really convince us that he's completely happy Where I Am Now. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I may not like Country music any more than I did but Cass County reminds me how much of a Don Henley fan I was in the 80s.

Many congratulations to Henley, Lynch and the rest of the crew for a wonderful new album.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 09-18-2015 at 06:08 PM.