Thread: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

I was just wondering who genuinely likes Teenage Jail, the song Felder branded Glenn's worst songwriting effort and that Don admitted to finding funny. Marc Eliott in his book also questioned what the song is really about.

However I love the song, it my be a little simple but it better than say the Disco Strangler with it's lyrics. I love Glenn's heavy guitar riff because it sounds so badass. The synthesizer solo is also a great bit of ingenuity and even though Don F hates his 'lingering' solo I think sounds alright, it matches the slow nature of the song. Also love the songs where Henley and Frey both sing leads

Does anyone else appreciate this gem from the Long Run album, though it seems its been criticised by everyone involved.
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Am I the only one who likes Teenage Jail?

I like Glenn's badass guitar and Don F.'s wicked solo. The vocals are cool, but I'm not a big fan of the synth solo. The song is an odd duck for sure, but it's interesting.

I certainly don't love the song & it's not one of my favourites, but I do like it. Disco Strangler, on the other hand, is the only Eagles' Song that I routinely skip. I don't skip TJ.

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

Count me in as one who likes it, though it's far from being one of my favorites. I love the heavy, slow guitar riff. It reminds me of Black Sabbath and other early doom metal bands. The lyrics are ok. The vocals themselves, I enjoy Don's, but I'm not too fond of Glenn's. I like both the synth and guitar solos. The song is very different and out there, but I think that's part of the appeal.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, although the I like the song, it won’t make it on my “best of” compilation. I like Glenn’s vocals, and the lyrics and guitars are very effective in creating a “teenage jail”. I’m not crazy about Don’s echo in the second verse, but it’s effective in achieving a mood of teenage turmoil. I enjoy listening to the song when I play the album, but that's the only time I ever hear it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

It's the second-to-worst song the Eagles ever released, IMHO. I'm glad there are some people who like it, but I'm not among them!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Out on the Border

Yeah guitar work by Joe Walsh is phenomenal. my favorite Eagles tune. The synthesizer just blows me away. The lyrics are just made for my teenage years.I wish there was a live video somewhere.

I seem to recall Glenn saying he had his youngest brother (who was a teen at the time) in mind when writing and working on that song. It's good to know it still has appeal with young people! I always found it funny! (I was a teenager then, too!).
    "Be part of something good--
    Leave something good behind."

Quote Originally Posted by rockel101 View Post
    I wish there was a live video somewhere.
    Don't think they ever performed this song at a concert which was recorded. Apparently it was only performed once, at Capital Center in 1979. Which is speculative, and most probably never recorded.
    The chemistry... nuff said