Page 64 of 116 FirstFirst ... 145460616263646566676874114 ... LastLast

Thread: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Banned

Default Re: Felder's "Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Springbo View Post
    I'm sure there would have been a fistfight, if Don F. hadn't gotten away so quickly, LOL.
    I dont think Frey wanted any, either. Felder is three or four inches taller and outweighs him, too.

Besides our boys are lovers, not fighters!

You know, watching the documentary so many times, I got to wondering about thus whole segment. Glenn was furious with Felder, seething he even says, and yet he had opportunity to confront him before getting on stage. Glenn smashed his beer bottle in the room Felder was warming up in, but doesn't say anything? If I'm that angry I think I'd be all over the person in no time! Okay, maybe upon reflection I might try to get past the anger, and try to work it out later, which is what I'm sure Glenn was trying to do...

Glenn would have to be a fool to confront Felder before the show. This was a benefit for a politician. It would be a huge embarrassment if two of the band members came onstage beaten and bloodied. The press would've had a field day!

And while some people may smirk at Felder for running, I agree it was smart. Even if he had won the fight, he still could have sustained an injury that would have affected his playing, at least temporarily. What's more important, masculine ego or your career? He's called "Fingers" for a reason.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Here's another grumble from me about a lack of context in the book.

Don writes about the attempted reunion in the studio in 1990. He tells us that Don H had hired Danny Kortchmar as producer and that "Glenn's suggestion had been Elliot Scheiner who'd produced his solo records, but Don didn't rate him as high."

I didn't have any background knowledge and didn't do any research and so I moved on with the impression that maybe Glenn had suggested someone who was a little sub-par because he liked working with him. My mistake, but given the information was presented, I think it's understandable.

So now I'm doing the research, I find that Elliot Scheiner was, and still is a well-respected (and award-winning) recording engineer and producer. He started as Phil Ramone's assistant and has produced for a host of artists, including Steely Dan, Queen, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton.

I think Felder was trying to show that Henley and Frey were disagreeing over the choice of producer and that the rest of the band weren't consulted.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I'd blame it on the editors but they probably weren't informed enough to catch it either.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

I've had some time to think on the Alan Cranston episode since watching the doc, and I've come to the conclusion that though Felder was impertinent or rude with his "I guess" comment, he was probably in the right as far as not wanting to use the Eagles brand to support a politician, especially at that point in time when they were basically the biggest band in the world, and especially with this particular politician, who ended up being censured by the senate for ethics violations. In the doc, he acted sort of apologetic, like he didn't know anything about politics at the time, but I think his instincts back then were correct. I do think it was a little unfair of Don Henley to say that Felder didn't want to do it because it wasn't putting money in his pocket. From what I've seen, Felder has always been willing, even enthusiastic, to support charitable causes, even back in the 70s.

So since that Cranston show, does anyone know if the Eagles, as a band, have played a show as a fundraiser for any other politicians?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I've had some time to think on the Alan Cranston episode since watching the doc, and I've come to the conclusion that though Felder was impertinent or rude with his "I guess" comment, he was probably in the right as far as not wanting to use the Eagles brand to support a politician, especially at that point in time when they were basically the biggest band in the world, and especially with this particular politician, who ended up being censured by the senate for ethics violations. In the doc, he acted sort of apologetic, like he didn't know anything about politics at the time, but I think his instincts back then were correct. I do think it was a little unfair of Don Henley to say that Felder didn't want to do it because it wasn't putting money in his pocket. From what I've seen, Felder has always been willing, even enthusiastic, to support charitable causes, even back in the 70s.

So since that Cranston show, does anyone know if the Eagles, as a band, have played a show as a fundraiser for any other politicians?
    They appeared at a function for Howard Dean when he was running for President. I cannot remember if they played a show or not.

I thought it was Frey who said that Felder didnn't want money going anywhere else except to him.

The point is that Felder was going against their collective ethos by behaving in the way he did & Frey was right to be upset with him. If he was so concerned at them doing it perhaps he should have said so before the actual show. What you say about Cranston has the benefit of hindsight. The Eagles diddn't know any of that at the time.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Yeah, I think you're right, it was Glenn who said that. Agree with the hindsight thing - that's my point. In the big picture, Felder probably had a legitimate position about not wanting to play a benefit for a politician, even if his opinion was discounted. I guess what I'm saying is he was a jerk for the snide comment, but not for his overall position.

Certainly, in recent years, Felder has played a multitude of benefits for charities. However, he has not shunned the political arena. As recently as last year, he played at a fundraiser for the Republican Party. Of course, the Felder of today is a very different man than he was in 1980, I'm sure.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I think Felder was trying to show that Henley and Frey were disagreeing over the choice of producer and that the rest of the band weren't consulted.
    I get what you mean but I'm thinking it's just as simple as the editor deciding to keep the story in Felder's voice - and he wouldn't necessarily stop and explain about Scheiner. Consistency of voice/tone is something considered important in an autobiography, where the reader should feel like they're in the midst of an ongoing narrative, as opposed to a historical progression. But then again, it could very well be that, respected or not, Don did not hold Scheiner in high regard. It seems to me that there were two factors in play:
    -yet another power struggle
    -value judgments based on the perceived value of each other's work. These types of decisions can be as much political as artistic or logistical.
    ...I could have done so many things, baby
    if I could only stop my mind...

Some guys are born to Rimbaud
    some guys breathe Baudelaire
    some guys just got to go and put their rockets everywhere.