Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Long Road Out of Eden Preview

Stuck on the Border

The instrumental is beautiful.

Waiting In The Weeds sounds like a 'Don classic'. Just beautiful.

As for Somebody - OH MY GOD what IS that????? 'Somebody's following you' - he has never done that to his voice before. That is the coolest thing I've ever heard.

LROOE is astounding. Just astounding. Too much.

I suppose What Do I Do With My Heart is a bit 80s? I like Glenn's vocalising because he's never done that either. What do others think? Is it too 'power ballad'? Am I wrong to like it so much? Why am I rambling on like this?

I've got Frail Grasp on now. A bit 'solo Don' perhaps. But honestly, to me this all sounds like THE EAGLES even if the individuals are showcased. Ah! There's 'who left the cap off the freakin' toothpaste'! You go, Don!!

GOTC was a bit repetitive and IDWTHA was a bit too sweet for me.

I might just go and rewrite Ulysses now.

Stuck on the Border

I'm up to Centre Of The Universe. I loved Business As Usual. I think I heard a naughty word repeated a couple of times! I wasn't that sure about Last Good Time In Town. I think Joe has been underused, sadly.

Centre Of The Universe has a slight Bee Gees feel to it. Lovely harmonies.

As for I Love To Watch A Woman Dance it is a cameo. It is a break from the 'broader' themes of the album. It is exquisite. I suppose not everybody will agree with me.

Oh, and You Are Not Alone? It's very moving. That voice. It just goes through you.

It's Your World Now has just started. Good heavens but that man knows how to get to me. Glenn, will you not talk about 'leaving' please! 'True love never dies' eh? How he loves that phrase.

They've done it. It's a masterpiece. I have absolutely no hesitation in saying so.

LOL! FP I must agree, it's a masterpiece! I'll give my running commentary too

No More Walks in the Woods - Could harmonies even get any more gorgeous and perfect? It's absolutely amazing!

Busy Being Fabulous - love Love LOVE it!! It is SOOOO catchy! I love Don's voice on it! One of my favorites. It's one of those that you find yourself humming or singing later after the music has stopped. As several others have previously stated, I love the "uh huuuh" at the end of the chorus.

What Do I Do With My Heart - gorgeous! Glenn's voice is just silky smooth. It's just gorgeous lyrics, vocals, and harmony! There aren't words to describe how much I absolutely love the parts at approx 3:00 and later when Glenn's adding stuff in and Don takes over and Glenn's adding stuff in the background! Gorgeous! (I seem to be saying that a lot about this song! lol) Another one of my favorites! So no FP, you are not wrong to love it so much because I do too! lol

Guilty of the Crime - I love the beginning and the first verse! Reminds me of something we'd have heard fom Joe in his younger days. Love when the harmonies kick in on the chorus. Joe's guitar solos are fabulous as always! I also love the bass and piano right before the second verse kicks in. Joe's songs can rock like none other.

I Don't Want to Hear Anymore - I really like the fact that it's not extremely slow. It's a ballad, but it's mid-tempo. Tim sounds so smooth. He just has one of those peaceful, relaxing voices that you could listen to forever. lol Again, gorgeous harmonies. I really like when he fades to his falsetto. I really, really like this one!

Waiting in the Weeds - A Don classic! What's more to say? Amazing! I just love the lyrics...fantastic! It really is a gorgeous song!

You Are Not Alone - What a sweet song! Especially knowing what it's about and who it's for. I don't know what else to say except that it's very touching (imo) and Glenn sings it perfectly.

Long Road Out of Eden - Even though I still don't exactly care for the beginning of the song, I can see where it fits with the song. However, I love the song itself! The lyrics are absolutely brilliant! Don's voice is perfection! I really like the melody of it and you always are gonna wanna sing "It's a loooooong rooooooaaaad out of eeeeden!" lol I know it's long, but I honestly wouldn't mind them performing this in concert. Another thing, I love Glenn's lower harmonies with Don before the great harmonies of the "chorus." Oh one last thing...........GORGEOUS guitar solo!!!!!!!!!!!! Definently Joe I don't like the interruption of the middle eastern style music again. It's fine in the beginning, but I don't like it interrupting the song. Still, absolutely fantastic. Definently a favorite! I love the "all the knowledge in the world is of no use to fools" line! So true!

I Dreamed There Was No War - simply beautiful! I wouldn't mind even hearing this in concert either.

Somebody - I really like the way Glenn sings this song with a slight rasp! I LOVE the ""somebody's following you" and "it's calling you home." I've never heard Glenn sing like that before. lol I like it! I really like the guitars in this song. Another favorite!

Fail Grasp on the Big Picture - Funky! Another one that I love the guitars on. Typical Don "attitude" song. lol I understand what he's saying about the religion and the money/sex thing but I think Don has to be careful because sometimes with his attacks on things he forgets that he talks about other people being so close minded that he doesn't realize in a way he's doing the same. I love the beat and funky style of the song. And I love the "attitude" of the song....but just not sure I like the lyrics. Like I said before though, the guitars are fabulous.

Last Good Time in Town - I think this one is my favorite of the two Joe songs and I can't even explain why. lol Love the whispering by, I assume, Glenn in the background. Another song that Joe's guitar playing is fabulous, as always! I didn't listen to the entire song because I have to go to sleep!

Sorry for the blabbing about each song that made this so long! LOL! I'll have to post my thoughts about the other songs later. I have to get to bed! lol

What a week this has been. I'm back in Chicago again about to go to a Stevie Nicks Soundstage concert taping, but all I can think about is this album. So here I am, at 3:30 in the morning, wearing a cheap pair of headphones attached to my laptop while my friends sleep, to finally sit down and give some thoughts on this!

PART ONE

No More Walks in the Woods I too must compliment the beautiful harmonies that this piece is obviously designed to feature. Even on my little plastic headphones the individual voices come through loud and clear, each adding its own texture. Melodically, it's not very interesting, but the melody isn't what's important here, it's the vocal.

How Long So much fun! This one makes me smile every time I hear it, despite the unpleasant opening image of a dissected bluebird. This song has always been great, and the guys do it justice now just as they did over 30 years ago. It seems so "right"!

Too Busy Being Fabulous So, so catchy. I love it. I have a friend staying with me this week (why i've been unable to post much), and she wasn't too interested in listening to the Eagles. She tolerated me streaming the Capital Gold show, though, and once she heard this song played, she couldn't get it out of her head. We even started a running joke using the phrase. "I wonder if Stevie Nicks is busy being fabulous tonight?" lol I think they are right to choose this as the second single. It's got that "hook" that even catches the casual listener.

What Do I Do With My Heart Magnificent vocals, strong melody, effective song structure. Glenn nails that love-lorn vocal, and bringing Don in at the end for that back-and-forth just takes it to the next level. The power of Glenn's vocal from the bridge to the end is what really sells it for me, though. He make you feel it. That's what has always drawn me to his music, and he's done it again here.

Guilty of the Crime Not my favorite, but still good. I've heard this one before courtesy of the Robocop Soundtrack, and I've aways thought it was fun. I really like the piano parts in it, which gives it a different kind of feel than just straight up guitar rock song.

I Don't Want to Hear Any More A pleasant melody and a smooth vocal. Its strength is the chorus, I think. That title line is catchy.

Waiting in the Weeds I saw the title and length of this song and thought it might be a drag. After listening to it, though, I absolutely adore it. I love the lyrics, the images, the structure, the way Don's voice goes up on that verse about "flavor of the week", the shift from the bridge back to the verse - all of it. I love it.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

SHOOT, I just wrote out all this stuff for part two and lost it! DANG IT!

I guess I'd better save that for another time and go to bed.

What an exciting time for Eagles fans! Love it or hate it, they finally came through.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Sexy Girl
    Thank you for the link - it's much appreciated!!

So it looks like we ALL can listen to the entire CD before the CD listening chat party - this is great news!!
    No more worries about shipping dates or stores having their Eagles CD supply in time.
    That was my first thought too SG
    Now I only have to dispose of hubby for the night.

Thanks for the link! That was incredible!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

It was fun to read all the reviews, thanks everyone for taking your time to write it all up.

Though I took my time to listen to the entire album I didn't have the time to write a detailed review, I'm sorry. Anyway this album is a masterpiece, and I can't wait to have it in my hands. Somehow it will be still different than listening on the internet or to recordings.

Something funny I noticed: the title of this thread is "Long Run Out of Eden Preview" However it doesn't seem to matter
    We'll have stars to wish on every single night
    We'll build a fire and make love by candlelight

Your reviews are all very interesting! I'm freaking out because I tried to listen to the new songs yesterday from the link and it just kept "buffering". So it wouldn't play anything!

I'm currently trying again, and this time I'm getting a few snippets of music (no vocals yet), with lengthy pauses in between. And it just keeps on BUFFERING!!

As if my day hasn't been bad enough, I can't sample my beloved Eagles!

Oh, wait - I just heard a bit of Glenn's voice on "Somebody" - it's stopped again . A little bit more... stopped again. Oh, I actually got two lines without interruption - yay!

My heart's already pounding at the sound of that voice. Ah, another line - another stoppage. HELP!!! I'm so jealous of all of you who've managed to listen to all these tracks!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

Nancy, I wondered why you were being so silent during this very exciting week--now I know why. The Stevie Nicks Soundstage gig sounds like fun. How did you manage to get tickets to that one?

It's funny that no one noticed that about the title of this thread before, SG!

Speaking of LROOE, I am still waiting to hear that until Tuesday. And it is so hard to wait....

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I listened to the Capital Gold interview and hearing them talk about the songs really helps me. I think I will be much more positive about it now rather than listening to the new album cold. I don't know. That just really helped me. Sometimes with a new album, you (or I do) tend to skip songs that don't catch me right off the bat. And hearing all of the guys tell how they wrote it or the funny things that happened makes it seem more real.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten