Page 41 of 86 FirstFirst ... 3137383940414243444551 ... LastLast

Thread: Kennedy Centre Honorees

Border Desperado

Default Re: Kennedy Centre Honorees

[QUOTE=DJ;342843
    Truly all 7 were Eagles.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. Plus, none of us can say for sure that Randy is too unwell to accept the honour, as none of us know how he is doing and should not assume.

I find it strange that Randy had said in January right after Glenn passed away how much he was looking forward to seeing him and the other guys at the KCH awards in December. Was his invitation withdrawn? IMHO, the whole thing is just bizarre.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    I completely agree. Plus, none of us can say for sure that Randy is too unwell to accept the honour, as none of us know how he is doing and should not assume.

I find it strange that Randy had said in January right after Glenn passed away how much he was looking forward to seeing him and the other guys at the KCH awards in December. Was his invitation withdrawn? IMHO, the whole thing is just bizarre.

He may have planned to attend but he wasn't & isn't one of the honorees. It was made clear at the very start of this thread that the honorees are Frey, Henley, Walsh & Schmit. I have no idea about any 'invitation' to him.
    Last edited by Freypower; 09-20-2016 at 03:25 AM.

Border Desperado

Why is it that when I receive a reply from you FP or read your reply to others, I get this image that I am right back in Catholic school with Sister Margaret chastising one of us girls?

You can come across as pretty harsh sometimes. I apologize for not reading the beginning of the thread, but last time I checked, this was a rock band forum, not a place to display our dissertations.

I will try to be more diligent in my research next time, but can you please lighten up a bit?

Stuck on the Border

It certainly read as if Randy expected to be at the Kennedy Center. It may have been a misunderstanding or he may have been invited to attend even if he wasn't explicitly honoured. Maybe it will be all explained to us at a later date but I'm not holding my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    No, not now more than ever. This is not an award for music; it is an award for cultural significance over the decades since the 70s.

I would imagine that for the Frey family the sight of him would be unbearable.

'Forgiveness'? Not right now.
    But we're all fans of the band. Whether we agree or not, Hotel California is probably their best-known track. My brother, who routinely trashes the band, heard it in a shopping centre the other day and finally admitted it was a terrific song.

I don't know whether the antagonism between Glenn and Don F. extended to their families or not but I do think an honour for the music should include the whole band. I wonder whether other bands have the same leeway to decide which of their members should be denied. And it seems a bit like a kick in the teeth to leave Bernie out after the HOTE tour.

I understand that feelings run high on this subject. And if Don H. really believes that it would upset Glenn's family, that's a good reason.

Still, any time is a good time for forgiveness. Not that I always practise what I preach. I'd be a better person if I did.

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014...-backlash.html

On my leatherette looking through pictures...

Regarding my comments on Meisner's health, while I do not know how he is doing physically, those few things I've seen in the news that come directly from the horse's mouth indicate that psychologically he is very frazzled over what happened to his wife. I don't imagine that this would be the right time for him, and there's probably never a good time for Felder. If he is honoured in some way at a later date, it might work better.

As I have said before, only Leadon, who participated in the HOTE tour, should have been considered of the 'former' Eagles for the KCH honour.

Quote Originally Posted by VillageGirl View Post
    Why is it that when I receive a reply from you FP or read your reply to others, I get this image that I am right back in Catholic school with Sister Margaret chastising one of us girls?

You can come across as pretty harsh sometimes. I apologize for not reading the beginning of the thread, but last time I checked, this was a rock band forum, not a place to display our dissertations.

I will try to be more diligent in my research next time, but can you please lighten up a bit?
    I have always noticed her, ah, interesting, if sometimes laboured manner of communication, but since I myself always take great pains to make things clear, I can't really complain about someone else's way of expression. Those few times I've been on the receiving end, I usually realized the fallacy of something or another I had said. That said, I don't see anything wrong with what you were saying.

This much is true, each and every one of us could always lighten up a bit.
    All carrot, no stick.

"He's just another power junkie, just another silk scarf monkey. You'd know it if you saw his stuff. The man just isn't big enough."--Glenn Frey/Don Henley

"You think you know me, but you haven't got a clue."--John Lennon/Paul McCartney

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    Randy already said he was going when Glenn passed.

"I was looking forward to this one. I was going to go to the Kennedy awards and was thinking, 'Man this could be the last time we'll all be together.' Now that really hurts my heart that we couldn't be together one more time," Meisner told The News.

When he says all does he mean the seven of them?
    Was this what Randy said last year or is this a new recent quote?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Was this what Randy said last year or is this a new recent quote?
    That was in January to a newspaper just after Glenn died.

Border Desperado

Well, I'm very saddened by the decision of the band. (Since others are speaking predominately on opinion instead of factual evidence) I will say that means Don and Irving , and Joe and Timothy went along).

I appreciate that the KC took the petition into consideration and presented that information to the Eagles and gave them the opportunity to responded. It is unfortunate IMO, that "the band" made a choice of division, instead of unity and reconciliation.

I feel like being honored would mean a great deal to Randy, Bernie, and Felder, and that this "kick in the teeth" has got to be hurtful to them, but somewhat expected, based on the past.

As someone stated, this is an award of cultural influence, and based on record sales, this band had the most cultural impact of any other band in the 20th century. When you think of the elements of this band, you can't considered the "cultural influence" of this band without considering Randy, Bernie, and Don F! What is Classic Radio playing, what do fans want to hear in concert? the Long Road out of Eden? No, TITTL, HC, OOTN, BOML, WW, PEF, TIE, NKIT, etc. Their love and appeal and endurance over the decades is heavily based on the songs that were created during Bernie's, Randy's and Don Felder's tenure.

It is a dark spot on the legacy of this amazing band that there are still some age old grudges against band members that they lived with, played with, and created musical magic with. I hate it if Glen went to his grave with a bitterness in his heart. His death makes it painfully evident how short life can be, how unexpected and swiftly it can end, and that we don't get to press a do-over button. The legacy of this band is their music that touched all our souls, but what a great legacy to stand together in unity and put decade old issues behind us and for one moment, celebrate the good times this band shared, the good feelings they had about each other, and the amazing music they created--all of them created!

This award is greater than any member's mistakes-- and they all made them--it's not about anger, resentment, self-centeredness or greed. It isn't about only Glenn and Don. It's not about Irving. It's not about Cindy Frey (hopefully, she and her children do not live in hard-heartedness, but live in positivity and gratitude) or is it about the families of the other members. The KC honor is about seven talented men who created something long lasting, deep feeling, and life changing. It's about, as Glenn put it, "a band for all time. "
    Eagles =7
    Last edited by Eagles7; 09-20-2016 at 04:53 PM.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    No, not now more than ever. This is not an award for music; it is an award for cultural significance over the decades since the 70s. Like it or not, it was the last four members of the band who remained the most active & had the most impact for those decades. If you consider that Felder, who drove the band to fire him, sued them, wrote a nasty book & has done nothing but snipe at them ever since, including about the tribute to Glenn & now about this, deserves such a prestigious award, I'm afraid I must disagree. There are wider issues than 'he co-wrote Hotel California'. Henley doesn't want him there & I would imagine that for the Frey family the sight of him would be unbearable.

'Forgiveness'? Not right now.
    I completely agree with your statements here, Fp. Forgiveness? Never!

As far as Randy and Bernie, and especially Bernie, I wish they could have been included, but I imagine that Don and Glenn felt they shouldn't be if they couldn't include Felder.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten