Page 27 of 77 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25, 2015

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Don videos on YouTube and other video sites

I love the two new songs. My favorite is probably "Picture".

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I like both songs as well, though I like That Old Flame more. (Seems I'm in the minority here lol)
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Border Troubadour

Geez, I don't know which I prefer - I was leaning towards That Old Flame initially but the words in Take a picture of this are pure Don, and THAT voice....I'm in Henley Heaven!
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25,

A review! Apparently, David Gilmour released a new song yesterday as well, and this self-proclaimed Classic Rock critic listened to the songs, and gives his take on both David and Don, and is honest in saying he generally doesn't care for new music. In short, David seems to have 'phoned it in'. Don, however, got a great review. Of course

http://thebrandchef.com/can-40-year-...-test-of-time/
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Default Re: Press and Disussion about Don Henley's new album Cass County available Sept. 25,

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I don't know! It didn't say it was sold out when I ordered, but with ground(ctrl), that doesn't mean a whole lot. The order that was emailed to me doesn't say anything about anything being signed.
    Oh I hope it is VA! Fingers crossed!

The website said the 100 signed bundles are sold out. I think you can still get the bundle. Your bundle just won't be signed by Don.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

I know, what you mean, DD! TAPOT sounds more like Don than TOF. Not sure how that's possible when they are both obviously Don! I guess TAPOT just shows his voice off more. I listened to TOF first and I really liked it, but I felt TAPOT clear to my soul, and it's very definitely the kind of song that will get repeated often when listening to the CD. As I listened, I actually closed my eyes and thought, "Ah, yes, this is exactly what I've been waiting for."
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

I know, ladies. I like TOF. Its a very catchy tune, but there's something about TAPOT that has me liking that song more. That song is like the Don I know and love. His voice is amazing on TAPOT and its like his signature straight to the heart storyline songs we know and love. Ok. Now I want to go back and listen to TAPOT again. I already listen to it early this morning.

Looks like I've got some buying to do. And yeah, I'm gonna go for the pricey one! It looks worth it to me.

I'm definitely doing the Nashville show... perhaps Dallas, depending on timing. I'd like to see more... we'll see how it works out.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by VAisforEagleLovers
    TAPOT sounds more like Don than TOF.
    Time to learn some new acronyms, I see! lol They're both terrific!

I'm glad Don's utilizing social media. By putting the songs on YouTube officially, it heads off those who would do so without permission at the pass. People typically click on what comes up first in YouTube search, and now that will be the official uploads.

Even more importantly, Billboard now includes official YouTube views in their estimates of a song's popularity. When a music entity like that is taking YouTube into account when ranking songs, the artist better take it seriously.

Most importantly of all, it's a revenue stream for the record company. Even if you put aside the interest and sales it generates, they get paid per view. If he refuses, they lose income. I doubt he was given much of a choice. However, I really don't think he had to be forced. He must have realized how selfish it would be to make others lose money in order to promote his own personal anti-YouTube agenda. He is still free to have his people take down all the unofficial stuff, after all.

Yes, he's railed against YouTube as the enemy of musicians in the past, but that was years ago. It's got all sorts of features which benefit copyright holders now that it didn't have then; the artist can even earn money from fanvids and unofficial uploads via YouTube's content matching system nowadays. This is automated and doesn't require the artist to find it; as soon as you upload the song, YouTube detects the song via the content matching program, adds a link to where it can be purchased in the video description, and monetizes it for the copyright holder. (An example of a monetized fanvid is here, for the curious - all those links were added automatically as soon as it was uploaded). He doesn't have to like YouTube to recognize its benefits.

I imagine that his record company enlightened him as to what an asset it could be and that his Billboard ranking as well as his wallet (and more importantly, their wallets) would suffer if he doesn't do it.

Don has a lot invested in getting this album heard. He's an intelligent man and although he's old-fashioned, he's presumably not going to cover his ears and shout "LALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU" when told about what he can gain from modern technology.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten