Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Farewell 1 Survivor

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Farewell 1 Survivor

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I'll be real. The only thing that keeps me from voting off "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" is Glenn gettin' down in the background.
    We'll have to agree to disagree, Soda, about Desperado and ASWTDID - Glenn's 'dancing' is a real turn-off for me! Those shoes make me go cross-eyed

And Funk, it's not Glenn's singing on TITTL, perse that I don't like- it's just that such a strong song has become so weak. There's just no guts in it anymore IMO
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

Border Rebel

I vote for "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" and "Walk Away."

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Well, I thought I had voted last round, but obviously, I hadn't!

The results are fine with me though. I'm one who agrees with those that think Desperado should not be the closer and I don't like the long note at the end. Way overdone for me. I do still love the song though.

I'm going ahead and voting now since I probably won't get back here before Monday. Too much usually going on at home!

I'm voting for I Can't Tell You Why and In The City. (I also love Glenn's dancing in ASWTDIS!)

ICTYW is a pretty song and Tim does a wonderful job, but it's a bit boring for me. In the City for the already mentioned reasons.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

All She Wants to do is Dance (strategic) and Peaceful Easy Feeling (love the song and the way they perform it on the HOTE tour, hate this performance of it).

I can't tell you why and All she wants to do is dance

To be honest I love everything on the DVD!
    It will be fun to find out what our most cherished moment is!
    In the words of Pink Floyd, 10 years have got behind me
    I think we need a new Eagles video

Quote Originally Posted by scottside View Post
    I vote for "All She Wants To Do Is Dance" and "Walk Away."
    Walk Away !! That is such a rockin' song in F1, I love watching Don and Scott on the drums on these songs and the band really get into it

I vote for Tequila Sunrise- I just don't like all the extra bells and whistles added to this song and I Can't Tell You Why I like this song but its just a bit boring here.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by DivineDon View Post
    I Can't tell you Why and Take it to the Limit -

the latter is not a patch on the original, I'd love to hear Don's take on it 'cos I'm sure he'd be able to hit a few falsettos. It's a shame it ends on a whimper.
    Glenn Frey is not Randy Meisner & if he had tried to do all that high stuff at the end it would not have worked. He is doing his own interpretation & he is concentrating on the lyrics. I have no opinion on whether Don should try it (except that we have no evidence that he is unhappy with Glenn singing it). If it's only so you can get the falsetto stuff.... sorry, but I disagree. There is more to the song than that & I think it's a shame that so many people have decided that's all that matters in the song.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-17-2015 at 07:31 PM.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    All the guys seem a lot looser on the solo tracks. They're all salesman at heart.

From experience I'd say Take It Easy is a better Eagles show closer than Desperado. Kinda celebratory.

I'm pretty sure that the Farewell One concert that I attended, Seven Bridges Road (without the last verse) opened the show and The Long Run followed it.

I never really cared for In The City. The horn chart added a bit but it really took off when Joe started playing the second second guitar solo for the Long Road Out Of Eden tour. I've loved it ever since.

Once again I'm voting for Peaceful Easy Feeling and All She Wants To Do Is Dance.
    Am I the only person who dislikes the extra instrumentation on Peaceful Easy Feeliing, Lying Eyes and Tequila Sunrise?

I actually quite like the trumpet solo during Tequila Sunrise.

I think Glenn's fine singing Take It To The Limit but I'd love them to take it up a notch or two at the end, even if it doesn't reach Randy's heights, but I would've thought that they tried it and decided, repeating the chorus twice sounded best. I'm glad they still perform it. They initially dropped Peaceful Easy Feeling for HFO. I frowned when they brought it back.
    First you say you dislike the extra instrumentation & then you say you like the trumpet. You keep repeating this about these songs when the fact is the backing band is onmipresent on every track. What is your opinion of the way the horns drown out the guitars in Heartache Tonight, for example? You say you like the horns in ITC. That is all extra instrumentation as well. I have no problem with this in the songs you mention & I don't understand why it seems to be an issue for PEF. There were backing musicians in HFO too and nobody ever mentions them.

It's true that they started some shows with 7BR followed by The Long Run but I don't think thosee were offcially labelled Farewell 1 shows. Those shows were in 2001 & I think F1 came later when 7BR was dropped. And they did do the last verse back then. I have a bootleg of them singing it in Lucca, Italy, to prove it. It was only during the LROOE period they dropped that verse. However the song is not on F1 so I'm not sure why it's being discussed.
    Last edited by Freypower; 04-17-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Border Troubadour

A few passing comments:

- I'm not as against Desperado being the closer as I once was but I really don't like how dramatic it's made: Henley did it well when he briefly held onto the 'youuuuuu' note back in the day but the 'loooooove' does nothing for me, especially as he holds onto it for about five seconds too long so that it's more like a whimper by the end...
    - I love the F1 rendition of Peaceful Easy Feeling: I love Glenn's light 'ooh'-ing over what would be the first half of the solo and, as on Lyin' Eyes, I love Al Garth's violin accompaniment.
    - The trumpet solo on Tequila Sunrise is superb, it turns it from a moderate Mexican theme into a full blown sombrero-fest. Honest to god, I could just imagine something sounding just like that coming out of the wild towns of Mexico back in the days of the Old West. Very well done.
    - Glenn's dancing in ASWTDID is like he's spilled corrosive acid on himself, but I love it. Very rarely you see the likes of Don Henley have fun on stage. Smile and laugh, yes, but this is an all-out good time.

Anyway, I vote for ODAAT and ICTYW.

I vote ODAAT and TITTL

gotta save I Can't Tell You Why.