Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Eagles at the Super Bowl?

Default Re: Eagles at the Super Bowl?

They probably wouldn't bring it back. In the real world, not that many non-serious fans associate SBR with the Eagles.

I'm not sure why they dropped it. I know it was very difficult for them to do and even when they were doing it in concerts, they wouldn't do it unless it felt right before the start of the concert. If anyone was "off" they wouldn't try to pull it off. Eventually, they dropped it all together.

I think that as far as audio goes, they "could" do it in an Arena. It's just a matter of PA volume to overcome the crowd noise. They have their earbuds to prompt them for pitch and they always did it standing or sitting pretty close together so they could cue off of each other.

Everwhich....it is a pipe dream. I don't think it is really in their arsenal any longer.

MikeA

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Gosh Mike-Buzzkill!!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Sorry Willie, I sometimes <LOL> have this bad habit of analyzing things and talking <typing> before I think about the ramifications.

Of COURSE the Eagles will sing SBR when they do the Superbowl! How's that?

MikeA

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well, honestly guys, I don't buy this notion that just because they dropped a song in the past means that they would never bring it back. They've done it several times before, including SBR. If my memory serve me correctly, I believe that they performed it for very first show of the California F1 tour in 2005. I know the Eagles aren't known for making lots of changes to their setlist during a tour, but it does happen, especially for special events. I think the Super Bowl would fall into the category of a special event, so anything could happen if they decided to actually do it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Maleah View Post
    ...so I'd probably vote Take It Easy, Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, and Heartache Tonight.
    I like Maleah's list. I think they will one day do the Superbowl halftime show, and that they would probably do a medley.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Well, honestly guys, I don't buy this notion that just because they dropped a song in the past means that they would never bring it back. They've done it several times before, including SBR. If my memory serve me correctly, I believe that they performed it for very first show of the California F1 tour in 2005. I know the Eagles aren't known for making lots of changes to their setlist during a tour, but it does happen, especially for special events. I think the Super Bowl would fall into the category of a special event, so anything could happen if they decided to actually do it.
    What were the other occasions when songs were brought back? (Apart from 70s songs being brought back in 1994, obviously).

To me 7BR is too slow, too quiet and would require a massive audience that is high on adrenalin from the first half of a big sports event to sit back and be calm for a few minutes. I also don't see how the lyrics are appropriate for such an event. You want to keep the audience on their high, not bring them down, no matter how great the harmonies*. We are not necessarily talking about an audience full of Eagles fans.

In recent years they didn't even play the whole song.

*ETA: I know people will say 'NO! 7BR lifts people up, it doesn't bring them down'! In this case, however, at this event, I don't think the song would work. But no doubt I am in the minority here.
    Last edited by Freypower; 02-10-2010 at 10:20 PM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    What were the other occasions when songs were brought back? (Apart from 70s songs being brought back in 1994, obviously).
    FP, just off the top of my head without doing a whole lot of research - The Millennium Concert.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Yes, in which Glenn makes the claim that they had never played Ol' 55 before (he was wrong) - so he probably thought they weren't bringing it back. Those Shoes was obviously 'brought back'. Not that it matters but this means there is a precedent for this sort of thing.

Didn't they drop "Witchy Woman" for quite a while?

I'm gonna get Stuborn here FP (and THAT's a First <LOL>)

Any EXCUSE for the Eagles to Sing Seven Bridges Road is a good one no matter when, where or whatfor <smile>.

Now, I'm a guitar player and dearly love the work Walsh, Felder, Leadon and Smith have done with the Eagles....but it is SBR I immediately think of when I think of the Eagles. Stupid. It isn't even "Their" song! But they do it So Well.

MikeA