I don't think the original lineup is underrated, but unknown to casual fans. Eagles fans and music critics know that those four produced the bulk of the hits. The problem is that Bernie and Randy were only in the band for 5 or 6 years (?), and then were basically never heard from again as far as the general public was concerned until the HOTE documentary came out. [Acknowledging Randy had some solo attempts in the 80s and some sort of Poco reunion.] In the 38 years since Randy left, the Eagles have gained many new fans, especially after HFO and HOTE, and those fans simply have no connection to him or Bernie, as much as they enjoy the vocals every time they listen - they don't know who is singing. We hear this over and over and over.

If the Eagles had quit in 1977, Bernie and Randy would be much more well-known and appreciated. The sheer length of time that the band has been active with Joe and Tim has resulted in a diminishing of the perceived impact by the public of those early years.

In terms of playing his instrument, professionalism, ability to navigate the cut-throat music industry and make music his priority, his ongoing presence on other talented musicians' projects, and other intangibles, I would think Timothy is the most underrated Eagle. Everyone thinks he stands there looking pretty and taking direction from Don and Glenn, (which is all true), but I think he's done a lot more to keep the peace and keep the band together, due to his personality and professionalism, since 1994 than he gets credit for.