Page 40 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Banned

Default Re: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Out of the full list of options, I thought the best track by a distance was The Last Resort. Since that was voted off really early in the game, the whole thing became very unpredictable.

For what it's worth, here's my list, best to worst (and where they finished):

01 The Last Resort [14]
    02 Pretty Maids All in a Row [11]
    03 Long Road Out of Eden [04]
    04 Ol' 55 [07]
    05 My Man [08]
    06 The Sad Cafe [02]
    07 Doolin-Dalton / Desperado Reprise [01]
    08 Good Day in Hell [03]
    09 Those Shoes [09]
    10 Do Something [06]
    11 James Dean [13]
    12 After the Thrill Is Gone [05]
    13 Too Many Hands [12]
    14 Bitter Creek [10]
    15 Most of Us Are Sad [15]

So if Good Day In Hell had made the final, DD/DR would have got my vote... though I may have abstained.

If the final had been between GDIH and DD/DR - I would have voted for DD/DR a hundred times over - I really hate GDIH and can't believe it lasted as long as it did in the game.

Hopefully now that survivor is over, I'll never have to hear it again
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Gosh Lacken - I don't know what to say. As someone who doesn't even strongly dislike any Eagles song, much less hate one, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around that.

Having said that, the only song I would have voted for over the Reprise is After the Thrill Is Gone. Good Day In Hell was third on my list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Gosh Lacken - I don't know what to say. As someone who doesn't even strongly dislike any Eagles song, much less hate one, it's hard for me to wrap my brain around that.

Having said that, the only song I would have voted for over the Reprise is After the Thrill Is Gone. Good Day In Hell was third on my list.
    I know, it was hard to say that I really hate an Eagles song, felt like I was betraying the band and the border
    It's kinda like the way Freypower feels about ATTIG....

But it's the only one I really hate, so maybe it's not too bad. If ATTIG was in the final with DD/DR, it would have been close but I would have voted for ATTIG.
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Lacken101 View Post
    I know, it was hard to say that I really hate an Eagles song, felt like I was betraying the band and the border
    It's kinda like the way Freypower feels about ATTIG....

But it's the only one I really hate, so maybe it's not too bad. If ATTIG was in the final with DD/DR, it would have been close but I would have voted for ATTIG.
    I don't hate ATTIG. I don't hate any Eagles song, not even I Wish You Peace, Visions or LWKUA, my three least favourites. My feelings about ATTIG are of indifference, not hate or even dislike. It appears on my least favourite album surrounded by my two least favourite songs as listed above. That hasn't helped it win my affection. I'm not going into more detail because so many people obviously love the song. If I don't it can't be helped.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well we Eagles fans vary a great deal in our likes and dislikes, that's for sure. I brought it up, not to be critical, but because as shallow or indiscriminate as it may be, it's hard for me to wrap my little brain around hating an Eagles song. But, as we always say, it just boils down to personal tastes and there is certainly no right or wrong answer, so none of us should feel the need to be apologetic.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

I thought the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) was one of the two outstanding songs included in the game, the other one being The Last Resort. If I was ranking the songs included in the game in order of quality those would certainly be the top two, however The Last Resort is on Hotel California rather than Desperado and is therefore, I think, more widely regarded as being a great song, making it significantly less underrated than the D-D/D (Reprise) which explains its early elimination. Had song quality been the only consideration of the survivor, I think The Last Resort would have gone a lot further in the game - the fact that it was voted off before Too Many Hands, in particular, is clearly a reflection on it not being as underrated as other songs in the game.

You will not be surprised to hear then that even though Good Day In Hell and The Sad Café are both strong favourites of mine, my vote in the final round would have been the same had GDIH made it through. I would have gone for the D-D/D (reprise) either way.

At the start of the game taking both song quality and perception of how underrated each song was, I had Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) down as my preferred winner. I thought it would get far but probably fall with about 4 rounds left or so. I expected ATTIG to make the final and would have been happy to see that win, although I'd have probably preferred the victory going to GDIH (which, as I expected, went far) or The Sad Café (which I did not expect to get especially close to the final, I actually thought it would go before Those Shoes). As much as I love The Last Resort I wasn't surprised by its early elimination, for reasons I covered earlier, and although My Man is another firm personal favourite I sensed it lacked enough support to get close to winning. I was pleasantly surprised by how well Long Road Out Of Eden fared, although I think Do Something if anything went a bit too far - Bitter Creek, for instance, is a better song and more underrated in my view.

I will come back with my list of the fifteen songs but for now I will say that I think Most Of Us Are Sad was perhaps slightly out of place in this game. I rather like the song but I think it's a notch below the other ones that were included, and the views of those who voted for it in the first round, more so than the actual votes it received, indicated a general sense of indifference towards the song amongst several posters here. As it was the lone representative of the debut album though I do agree that something was needed to represent that album as it is IMO a very good album and all of the other albums had at least two songs in the game. I think the problem there is that I sense there is no consensus as to which song is the most underrated from the debut album.

Here's my list - best to worst.

After The Thrill Is Gone
    Those Shoes
    Good Day In Hell
    James Dean
    Ol '55
    The Last Resort
    Pretty Maids All In A Row
    The Sad Cafe
    Too Many Hands
    Most Of Us Are Sad
    Long Road Out Of Eden
    Do Something
    Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
    My Man
    Bitter Creek

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I thought the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) was one of the two outstanding songs included in the game, the other one being The Last Resort. If I was ranking the songs included in the game in order of quality those would certainly be the top two, however The Last Resort is on Hotel California rather than Desperado and is therefore, I think, more widely regarded as being a great song, making it significantly less underrated than the D-D/D (Reprise) which explains its early elimination. Had song quality been the only consideration of the survivor, I think The Last Resort would have gone a lot further in the game - the fact that it was voted off before Too Many Hands, in particular, is clearly a reflection on it not being as underrated as other songs in the game.

You will not be surprised to hear then that even though Good Day In Hell and The Sad Café are both strong favourites of mine, my vote in the final round would have been the same had GDIH made it through. I would have gone for the D-D/D (reprise) either way.

At the start of the game taking both song quality and perception of how underrated each song was, I had Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise) down as my preferred winner. I thought it would get far but probably fall with about 4 rounds left or so. I expected ATTIG to make the final and would have been happy to see that win, although I'd have probably preferred the victory going to GDIH (which, as I expected, went far) or The Sad Café (which I did not expect to get especially close to the final, I actually thought it would go before Those Shoes). As much as I love The Last Resort I wasn't surprised by its early elimination, for reasons I covered earlier, and although My Man is another firm personal favourite I sensed it lacked enough support to get close to winning. I was pleasantly surprised by how well Long Road Out Of Eden fared, although I think Do Something if anything went a bit too far - Bitter Creek, for instance, is a better song and more underrated in my view.

I will come back with my list of the fifteen songs but for now I will say that I think Most Of Us Are Sad was perhaps slightly out of place in this game. I rather like the song but I think it's a notch below the other ones that were included, and the views of those who voted for it in the first round, more so than the actual votes it received, indicated a general sense of indifference towards the song amongst several posters here. As it was the lone representative of the debut album though I do agree that something was needed to represent that album as it is IMO a very good album and all of the other albums had at least two songs in the game. I think the problem there is that I sense there is no consensus as to which song is the most underrated from the debut album.
    For me it's Chug All Night.

Border Troubadour

Take the Devil easily. Randy's finest ever Eagles vocal and that rarest of things, a Glenn Frey solo. I think we're proving JCL's point!