Page 17 of 42 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

Default Re: Underrated Eagles Song Survivor

I disagree - I'm pretty glad that Those Shoes turned out the way it did. I'd far rather have Don Henley singing it and dual talk-boxes from Joe and Don Felder than having Felder sing it with a single talk-box. A terrific tune, one of the best on The Long Run, could have turned out like Visions, I song I don't care for apart from Felder's guitars. I mean it probably would still have been better than Visions, but not as vastly superior as it is. The dual talk-box is unique and gives the song a great sound IMO. The guitar solo itself is awesome and is in my personal top ten solos.

According to Don Felder himself, him and Joe recorded their talk-box parts live:

http://www.felderfans.com/2013/05/do...cts-questions/

I've no idea whether it was always intended to have twin talk-boxes, or whether this was decided on later.

Although Henley dominates The Long Run album vocally, to me he feels less dominant than on Hotel California - he only sings one of the hits, with Tim getting to sing a hit on his first album, which Randy only got on his fourth, and Glenn owns Heartache Tonight. The fourth most popular song is probably In The City - again not Henley. Henley also sings lead on two of the three widely disliked tracks (and indeed sings alone without backing vocals on The Disco Strangler) while having a co-lead on the third, Teenage Jail.

Contrast this with Hotel California - of the six songs from the album which make the 2-CD Very Best Of, five are sung by Henley and his voice is pretty audible on New Kid In Town too, so not only does he sing the most songs but he also has the most loved ones, and I can't say this for The Long Run. I personally couldn't imagine anyone else singing The Sad Café - I can understand why some think Glenn's voice would work on it, but it has too much of Henley's mark lyrically to feel right sung by anyone else, I think.

Yet again I will go for Ol' 55. I did give some consideration to changing my vote but while I could understand the eliminations of Too Many Hands (a song I like a lot more than most) and PMAIAR (great but not that underrated) I'm slightly disappointed that Bitter Creek went before it. That song just doesn't get enough credit, it's an excellent song which is crucial to the plot of the Desperado album and also happens to be penned by the band's most underrated songwriter. I can see why those who don't like their more acoustic folk type songs don't care for it though.

Stuck on the Border

I didn't know Felder was going to sing Those Shoes but it makes sense. Of all the songs I've heard him sing in youtube clips, that's the one that suits his voice best.

I'm sticking with Those Shoes.

Border Rebel

"Ol' 55"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Come Lately View Post
    I disagree - I'm pretty glad that Those Shoes turned out the way it did. I'd far rather have Don Henley singing it and dual talk-boxes from Joe and Don Felder than having Felder sing it with a single talk-box.
    I agree JCL. I'm delighted that Henley, rather than Felder is the lead singer of Those Shoes. But if Felder was the original vocalist, (remember the Eagles originally set out to make The Long Run a double album) he couldn't play the Talk-Box and sing at the same time. So it must've started out with just Joe playing the Talk-Box.

I suppose when he performs Those Shoes live, Felder plays Walsh's solo and his second guitarist plays the parts, Felder and Walsh doubled on the Eagles track, on his own.

Lastly, as great as they were/are, Jonny Come Lately, I don't think the Eagles could predict which tracks were going to be hits before they released them. Best Of My Love is a testament to that and the fact that Lying Eyes and Take It To The limit didn't make the set list for the tour promoting One Of These Nights!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I vote for Those Shoes. It's gotten plenty of exposure on this tour. I guess I could say that about DD/Desperado Reprise, but I love it and will never vote for it to go.

I will never vote for ATTIG either! One of my all time favorites of theirs!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post
    I agree JCL. I'm delighted that Henley, rather than Felder is the lead singer of Those Shoes. But if Felder was the original vocalist, (remember the Eagles originally set out to make The Long Run a double album) he couldn't play the Talk-Box and sing at the same time. So it must've started out with just Joe playing the Talk-Box.

I suppose when he performs Those Shoes live, Felder plays Walsh's solo and his second guitarist plays the parts, Felder and Walsh doubled on the Eagles track, on his own.

Lastly, as great as they were/are, Jonny Come Lately, I don't think the Eagles could predict which tracks were going to be hits before they released them. Best Of My Love is a testament to that and the fact that Lying Eyes and Take It To The limit didn't make the set list for the tour promoting One Of These Nights!
    I'm sorry, but I find that very difficult to believe. Can you please provide a source for this statement.

I think if songs were released as singles the band had a pretty good idea most of the time if they would be hits.

I thought Felder was supposed to sing "Victim of Love", not "Those Shoes." Where did you hear that, Funk 50?

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Border Troubadour

OL' 55
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...

I can't vote for These Shoes at this point as I think the song is underrated - even if they have played it on tour!

I'm going to vote for Ol' 55 this round to try and save These Shoes
    "The more I know, the less I understand...."

Don't crack up, bend your brain, see both sides, throw off your mental chains"

Border Troubadour

I vote Those Shoes