Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Banned

Default Re: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

This threads got a number of strands to toy with.

Firstly, changes in the 70s. The Eagles did lose a major vocalist in the 70s. Randy Meisner and the quality of the songs on The Long Run are not as strong as on Hotel California. It was very noticeable at the time but nobody ever said, this isn't working anymore, the magic's gone, they're not as good as they were, they're now irrelevant, they should disband.

Secondly, it is quite possible that Joe's record contract was over once Songs From A Dying Planet was released. I can't recall seeing any promotion for it. Indeed I asked the retailer I bought it from (mail order, I've never seen it in a shop) if it was genuine as it came so soon after his previous release.

Don's book, Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (1974-2001), to give it it's full title, has never grabbed my interest. If it's padded out with material from before 1974, when he grew up on a dirt road etc., I just thought it must be lacking in content from the time the title actually refers to. I'll pay for Eagles music, I won't pay for vengeful muck-raking.

Being a Walsh fan, I'd be interested in reading about Don's involvement with Joe beyond the Eagles but I wasn't expecting that subject to get, anymore than a passing mention.

Does Don mention Joe's recordings of Told You So and Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk), or indeed the earlier Walsh recordings, he contributed to, in his book?

This past month we've seen Joe mourning the loss of Rick Rosas, Ian McLagan and Joe Cocker. There was a time when we couldn't envisage that he'd be outliving those guys. One Day At A Time, indeed.

Somewhere along the line, we'll all be mourning the death of an Eagle. Do they carry on, as The Who, for one, have done, twice, or do they immediately retire and await their own inevitable demise in solitude.

Since the Eagles own incredible success with HFO, the trend is undoubtedly for bands to reunite rather than spit up. In fact I'm struggling to think of a major band that have actually recently split. (one : REM). I could say Simply Red but I only realised they'd split up after they announced a reunion tour.

I suppose the real question isn't whether or not they'll continue, it's if they will actually produce any work together.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Funk 50 View Post

I suppose the real question isn't whether or not they'll continue, it's if they will actually produce any work together.
    I think that IS the real question. I'm not sure they have any more in them.
    I don't think that they really had anything left when they came back for HFO.
    That's why we get 4 new songs and no new album for 13 yrs after.

Stuck on the Border

This threads got a number of strands to toy with.

Firstly, changes in the 70s. The Eagles did lose a major vocalist in the 70s. Randy Meisner and the quality of the songs on The Long Run are not as strong as on Hotel California. It was very noticeable at the time but nobody ever said, this isn't working anymore, the magic's gone, they're not as good as they were, they're now irrelevant, they should disband.

Secondly, it is quite possible that Joe's record contract was over once Songs From A Dying Planet was released. I can't recall seeing any promotion for it. Indeed I asked the retailer I bought it from (mail order, I've never seen it in a shop) if it was genuine as it came so soon after his previous release.

Don's book, Heaven And Hell: My Life In The Eagles (1974-2001), to give it it's full title, has never grabbed my interest. If it's padded out with material from before 1974, when he grew up on a dirt road etc., I just thought it must be lacking in content from the time the title actually refers to. I'll pay for Eagles music, I won't pay for vengeful muck-raking.

Being a Walsh fan, I'd be interested in reading about Don's involvement with Joe beyond the Eagles but I wasn't expecting that subject to get, anymore than a passing mention.

Does Don mention Joe's recordings of Told You So and Rivers (Of The Hidden Funk), or indeed the earlier Walsh recordings, he contributed to, in his book?

This past month we've seen Joe mourning the loss of Rick Rosas, Ian McLagan and Joe Cocker. There was a time when we couldn't envisage that he'd be outliving those guys. One Day At A Time, indeed.

Somewhere along the line, we'll all be mourning the death of an Eagle. Do they carry on, as The Who, for one, have done, twice, or do they immediately retire and await their own inevitable demise in solitude.

Since the Eagles own incredible success with HFO, the trend is undoubtedly for bands to reunite rather than spit up. In fact I'm struggling to think of a major band that have actually recently split. (one : REM). I could say Simply Red but I only realised they'd split up after they announced a reunion tour.

1. A lot of Meisner fans thought the band was never the same after Meisner left. However it has been pointed out that Meisner's only vocal & songwriting credit on HC was Try & Love Again and therefore his departure did not noticeably change the songwriting situation.

2. Felder does not talk about the small amount of session work he did while the band was apart, with Walsh or anyone else, in his book. He actually didn't do much at all. As for any further relationship with Joe I'm not aware of any connection outside the Eagles. The outside Eagles connection was with Bernie.

3. Any death would only affect the band if it involved one of the four current members. From what I can understand the four of them are happy & healthy.

4. Pink Floyd are about to split up for good.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

3. Any death would only affect the band if it involved one of the four current members. From what I can understand the four of them are happy & healthy.
    I think there would at least be discussion involved if it were Tim or Joe, but if it were Don or Glenn, I think there would be no question, at this point.
    I would say that they are within 5 yrs of retirement anyway, at least I hope so.

The last thing the Eagles need to become is a novelty act like "The Beach Boys".
    There will be a time when they can't play the guitar parts and hit the notes...and I hope (and really think they will)they realize when it's time to hang it up, and dont go beyond that.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I think there would at least be discussion involved if it were Tim or Joe, but if it were Don or Glenn, I think there would be no question, at this point.
    I would say that they are within 5 yrs of retirement anyway, at least I hope so.

The last thing the Eagles need to become is a novelty act like "The Beach Boys".
    There will be a time when they can't play the guitar parts and hit the notes...and I hope (and really think they will)they realize when it's time to hang it up, and dont go beyond that.
    While I agree with your assessment, that when they can't hit the notes or play the parts the time has come. I can honestly say there's no evidence of it happening anytime soon. My honest opinion is that being the perfectionists they are, they'll want to stop while they are still on top, still performing at an awesome level. My concern is that they'll stop too soon.

I like a lot of bands and a lot of artists. There's a lot of things I like about the Eagles, but in reality, it comes down to the harmonies and the way the voices blend. Especially Don and Glenn's. Other artists and bands would be able to fill the void in a lot of ways, but no one will ever produce the magic of those voices and harmonies. I realize I'm biased, but there's sold out arenas all over the world that tell me a lot of other people feel the same way.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado

I think you are right. They will probably stop too soon. With the perfectionist mentality, they will hear something in the voices long before any of us would ever notice it.
    I wouldn't mind them backing down to a 90 minute show, and lasting longer, hopefully doing another mix-up in their set list to include more rare gems, or if they can do it, come up with a whole new album to support.

Do 6 or 8 songs off of it, plus 8 or 10 Eagles classics, and get the tickets back down to a very reasonable price.
    This does a couple things. Makes them some more money, plus leaves fans with the impression of them as a band with reasonable priced admission who care about the fans.

Maybe wait till 2017, give their voices and bodies time to recover, do the new album, and tour as a 45th Anniversary tour, 90 minutes, all tickets 45.00!!

Banned

Thanks for the reply about Felder's book Freypower

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    I don't understand what you're trying to say BillBailey1976. Discussions and questions about what?

I was also surprised to read that you're keen for the band to retire within 5 years.

If they had any desire to retire, they could've done it 30 years ago.
    Obviously their voices are not what they once were, Glenn stopped singing the wonderful "Woo hoo! in Heartache Tonight over half a lifetime ago, they are dropping the keys of their most popular songs but they are still up there, at the top of their profession, selling out huge arenas all over the world, charging extortionate ticket prices and they're still receiving rave reviews. It will end eventually but I can't say when, how or why it will happen.

Apart from Glenn's past flirtations with golf and acting and Don's environmental side projects, I don't think they've ever wanted to do anything else and while Irving is still keeping them active, I don't think that will change.

I'm very pleased that they've gone back to the 3 hour set lists. They tried the shortened set list with a support act or shared headliner and they weren't as successful. McCartney still does 3 hour set lists solo doesn't he?
    Last edited by Funk 50; 12-28-2014 at 01:26 PM.

Border Troubadour

I can see them packing it in once they've done something to mark either Hotel Cali's 40th or the band as a whole's 45th: as amazing as they are now they can't hold such a high standard forever and by the 2016~ they'll be pushing 70. I can't imagine, especially with the amount of pride they take in performing and perfection, that they'd ever cut down the setlist to 90 mins and tour with support, I think they (and what I'd personally prefer) would go out whilst they are still riding a wave (25-30 song setlists, 3 hour evenings etc), and not just giving whatever their health lets them.

I can envisage a less-intense tour in honour of Hotel California's 40th with Leadon back and, if health allows, Meisner in part (dare I even hope for Felder invited back?) then them calling it a day full stop. I'd so much rather they gave a definitive all guns blazing last performance than relegated themselves to a much shorter set, or finished unexpectedly on account of something unexpected occurring (God forbid that should ever happen).

Border Desperado

Thanks for the reply about Felder's book Freypower

I don't understand what you're trying to say BillBailey1976. Discussions and questions about what?

I was also surprised to read that you're keen for the band to retire within 5 years.

If they had any desire to retire, they could've done it 30 years ago.
    Obviously their voices are not what they once were, Glenn stopped singing the wonderful "Woo hoo! in Heartache Tonight over half a lifetime ago, they are dropping the keys of their most popular songs but they are still up there, at the top of their profession, selling out huge arenas all over the world, charging extortionate ticket prices and they're still receiving rave reviews. It will end eventually but I can't say when, how or why it will happen.

Apart from Glenn's past flirtations with golf and acting and Don's environmental side projects, I don't think they've ever wanted to do anything else and while Irving is still keeping them active, I don't think that will change.

I'm very pleased that they've gone back to the 3 hour set lists. They tried the shortened set list with a support act or shared headliner and they weren't as successful. McCartney still does 3 hour set lists solo doesn't he?
    I'm sorry that I wasn't clear. I meant discussion as whether or not to continue in the event of a death in the group. I was saying if Tim or Joe passed away, they would probably discuss the options of staying together or calling it quits, but that if Glenn or Don passed away, I don't think there'd even be a discussion at this point i their careers.

As to being "keen" for them to retire within 5 yrs, I just can't see their voices holding up much beyond that. 4 yrs from right now, they'll all be at least 70 years old. If they can, I think that's great, but I just don't see it.
    My mind keeps going to the Beach Boys, and I don't want them to end up like that. (I know they are about a decade older than the Eagles.)

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Based on statements the band members have made, I think their timeline for performing boils down to how long they can continue performing at a high level and how long they continue to enjoy themselves.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016