Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

What I meant was the whole idea was starting to get ridiculous, not your posts which are very well thought out, although I will never agree that a band can have two bassists. In a song like LITFL if one of them plays bass what is the other going to do? Acoustic guitar? Not on a song like that.

It's just that we are talking about Glenn's voice, his personality and his leadership skills (I won't go into his skills as a keyboardist & rhythm guitarist or arranger) and we're just throwing all of that away, saying none of it matters.

I suppose I should say that it doesn't work if you leave out Henley's voice, his personality, his drumming & his lyrical skills either.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    What I meant was the whole idea was starting to get ridiculous, not your post which is very well thought out.
    **Thanks for clearing that up. **

[/quote]It's just that we are talking about Glenn's voice, his personality and his leadership skills (I won't go into his skills as a keyboardist & rhythm guitarist or arranger) and we're just throwing all of that away, saying none of it matters. [/quote]

**You are exactly right. I mean the behind the scenes impact may have made this even less workable than the on stage performance.**

[/quote] I suppose I should say that it doesn't work if you leave out Henley's voice, his personality, his drumming & his lyrical skills either.[/quote]

** I agree. I think that for it to really work, you do need the unit of Glenn and Don. All fun and what if's aside, I think that a Frey-less Eagles, while workable, would NOT have been as successful. HFO? They could have pulled that off and made millions without Glenn. On the other hand, that was 20 yrs ago, and they are still going strong. Soooo...initially, I think yes, but long term...without Glenn or Don they wouldn't be around today**

I will take your word that 2 bassists wouldn't work. I don't know alot about the technical side of music, so I will defer completely to you on that.
    My thought was without Glenn, more Eagles would give them more of a fighting chance.

Border Desperado

Just as an aside, how awesome would HOTE tour been if all the stars had aligned and fences mended, and we'd have had all 7 Eagles on tour!!!

They could have truly worked magic on a History tour with everyone available!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Just as an aside, how awesome would HOTE tour been if all the stars had aligned and fences mended, and we'd have had all 7 Eagles on tour!!!

They could have truly worked magic on a History tour with everyone available!!
    Agreed...though it would have never happened sadly, Felder is a bad word for them, and Meisner as I understand it isn't in good enough shape for a tour, but a special appearance would be nice on a number or two.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    No doubt someone will answer that Walsh & Felder are the ones who matter anyway & they're really there to hear Waslh & Felder.

(I know there are people who think this so it's pointless not to say so. Maybe I shouldn't have posted anything).
    I'm not sure who you are referring to with this, but I don't believe this way and never have.

They might be my favorites but the Eagles as a group is what made them so great, and certainly the vocal and lyrical contributions of GF and DH included in that.

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Agreed...though it would have never happened sadly, Felder is a bad word for them, and Meisner as I understand it isn't in good enough shape for a tour, but a special appearance would be nice on a number or two.
    Yeah..that ship has sailed unfortunately.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    I'm not sure who you are referring to with this, but I don't believe this way and never have.

They might be my favorites but the Eagles as a group is what made them so great, and certainly the vocal and lyrical contributions of GF and DH included in that.
    I was referring to the imaginary conversation I started amongst a group of people going to see the Freyless Eagles.When UTW suggested that someone might ask how it would differ from a Henley show, it seemed logical to me that fans of the guitarists would then speak up. After that I realised that I probably shouldn't have raised the issue in the first place. I was making a very unsuccessful attempt to have fun with the very thought that a Freyless Eagles could be possible.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Well - I feel like if this is a topic that members want to engage in and have fun with, then they should feel free to do so. If the members feel that it is an exercise in futility, then the thread will die a natural death.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

FP, when listing Glenn's contributions to the band, you left out one of the important ones. Arranging.

As far as the tensions between Glenn and Randy and Glenn and Bernie, we need to keep in mind that in a lot things, Don agreed with Glenn and Glenn was the one that had to be the hard-ass. So, quite a few of those tensions would have still been there with Don at the helm.

What I like about Glenn, and his detractors seldom acknowledge this when saying it always has to be his way is that while true, his decisions were for the good of the band and not always for his good. A prime example is the decision for him to sing leads less in the late 70s. I STILL boo the TV when I watch the DVD and he says that.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    FP, when listing Glenn's contributions to the band, you left out one of the important ones. Arranging.

As far as the tensions between Glenn and Randy and Glenn and Bernie, we need to keep in mind that in a lot things, Don agreed with Glenn and Glenn was the one that had to be the hard-ass. So, quite a few of those tensions would have still been there with Don at the helm.

What I like about Glenn, and his detractors seldom acknowledge this when saying it always has to be his way is that while true, his decisions were for the good of the band and not always for his good. A prime example is the decision for him to sing leads less in the late 70s. I STILL boo the TV when I watch the DVD and he says that.
    Back again; I did mention arranging after I listed keyboards & rhythm guitar.

Of course I completely agree with you about Glenn's decreasing number of vocals & I am so grateful for LROOE in that department.