Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Border Desperado

Default Re: Frey-less Eagles??? Was it ever considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I don't wish to overdo this, but from what I understand he wrote most of the music & he has always considered it 'his' song in this regard.

They've never played The Sad Café live. Let's face it; it isn't a crowd pleaser, is it?

NB: As you can see I edited my previous post which BB had quoted. I thought it would be better to make a more generalised point. Apologies.
    That makes sense with Glenn and writing it. I remember in the Doc that Randy indicated that he only had the "take it to the limit" idea...not even the full concept.

Do you mean they haven't done Sad Cafe since the resumption? I know they did it back in 1980. Its on "The LA Long Run"

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by BillBailey1976 View Post
    Sorta off topic, but in line with song choices...does anyone know why they don't do "Sad Cafe"...i absolutely love that song. Have they done it at all since the resumption?
    That's the one thing I kinda have a problem with the guys' setlists: there is very often no surprise inclusions or revived work. They do it a bit in HOTE currently, but once you get past the seventh song (D-D/D Reprise) only one of the remaining 20+ is something not played in a while - Those Shoes. Look at Farewell 1 - aside from a couple of bits and bobs that ended up on LROOE anyway, nothing bar famous work was in there. I know it will never happen, but I would love it for them just to include something a bit odd in a concert - something like Ol' 55 or Turn to Stone or After the Thrill Is Gone. Something just to add a bit of spice to it.

Border Desperado

That's correct, but he did first sing at at the Millennium show.
    In one of those funny happenstances, there is a DVD playing right now, in the living room, and Glenn is singing TITTL...hahaha.

Stuck on the Border

That makes sense with Glenn and writing it. I remember in the Doc that Randy indicated that he only had the "take it to the limit" idea...not even the full concept.

Do you mean they haven't done Sad Cafe since the resumption? I know they did it back in 1980. Its on "The LA Long Run"
    Well, yes, then I obviously did mean since the resumption.

Border Desperado

Well, yes, then I obviously did mean since the resumption.
    I thought so, but I wasn't sure. I had to look just to make sure. haha.
    I know there are a few songs, like "After the Thrill is gone" that as far as I know, they only did during the Summer of 80, right before the break up.

I almost couldn't believe that. It, again was one that I really liked.

Border Troubadour

I know there are a few songs, like "After the Thrill is gone" that as far as I know, they only did during the Summer of 80, right before the break up.
    Only ever played live once, 31 July 1980 at Long Beach, CA. How very fitting. (I am aware it was most likely intentional on Glenn's (?) behalf.)

I also believe that one night was the only time Saturday Night was played live between 1974~ and 2013...

Border Desperado

I think Saturday Night must have been played for the series of shows recorded for Eagles Live. The date on Eagles live has it on July 28.

You are probably right about ATTIG. I figure that was Glenn's parting shot.

Has anyone ever heard the story of why Glenn decided to start doing TITTL? I think the New Year's 99 show was the first time he peformed it, wasn't it?
    Was it fan requests, or I wonder if Glenn thought about doing it from the start? or just decided that it was too big a hit for them to not do?
    I don't know the answer to that BB1976. I do know that Glenn started singing it as early as the 1986 concert in Japan where he shared the bill with Christopher Cross.

Out on the Border

I need to go back and watch the entire documentary from the beginning since I have only watched parts of it. I may have some of the time line wrong.

It is strange how one poster said Glenn didn't want to come back just for the money, but if I remember the documentary right, he made of point of mentioning that he and Henley should be getting more money than the others.
    That seems like being focused on the money to me.
    He also said he sang less because they had Henley, and implied Henley was the best singer in the group. If posters who like Glenn's voice best want to argue the point, take it up with him, not me.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles Rule View Post
    I need to go back and watch the entire documentary from the beginning since I have only watched parts of it. I may have some of the time line wrong.

It is strange how one poster said Glenn didn't want to come back just for the money, but if I remember the documentary right, he made of point of mentioning that he and Henley should be getting more money than the others.
    That seems like being focused on the money to me.
    He also said he sang less because they had Henley, and implied Henley was the best singer in the group. If posters who like Glenn's voice best want to argue the point, take it up with him, not me.
    He was wrong, in my view, to sing fewer songs 'because we had Don Henley'. Wrong. I have never agreed with that and I never will, even if that is what he thinks. However, I would have thought his detractors might acknowledge that it was supposedly for the good of the band that he allowed Henley to sing more songs, and admit that his ego was not as overpowering as claimed. Instead all they say 'well, this proves Henley is a betteer singer. Even Frey says so'.

Glenn Frey is, I repeat, in my view, Henley's equal vocally. I am not saying he's better; he's equal, and I personally would rather listen to him than to Henley. Others prefer Henley & that is their right, of course. Making a statement such as 'Henley is the best singer in the group' is stating opinion, not fact, because not everybody agrees with it. That is where I intend to leave this. The people who dislike Frey will never be convinced by any argument I can make.

Regarding the money question things had changed by 1994. His original statement referred to 1991. If they were going to reform then I think both Glenn & Henley felt they had contributed more than the others & therefore deserved more money. The rights & wrongs of this can be argued forever.
    Last edited by Freypower; 12-31-2014 at 01:45 AM.