Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

BTW - just as an example of my previous post, I would take issue with the comment that Bernie was a 'modest' guy. From many accounts I've read, I've gotten the impression that back in the day, Bernie could be very opinionated, bullheaded, and even confrontational. Not meaning this negatively or disrespectfully, but just an observation. If I'm right, he wasn't much different from Don and Glenn in those regards. Am I the only one that has gotten this impression? One example comes to mind is how Bernie walked into Geffen's office and boldly said "Well, do you want us or not?" Of course, they all mellowed somewhat as they matured.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Well, Don Felder portrays Bernie has hot-tempered and argumentative which he attributes to Bernie learning to fight for his place at the table in a large family.

I find those figures for net worth to be highly suspect. For example, given that Don Felder has few writing credits on the Eagles albums, only played on 4 of 10 tracks of GH1 and hasn't played with the Eagles since 1st Jan 2000, how does he end up with nearly as much as Glenn? If it's the settlement or the book, then Felder screwed Frey and Henley.

Henley's estimated larger worth might have a lot to do with never having been divorced.

Border Desperado

Okay, I just finished reading this 2year old thread today. It's interesting and it really shows how differently we can all think. Even though a lot of people have read the same book (H&H), there are very different interpretations. Some see him as whiney and acting like he didn't make any mistakes, and others see him as justified in his actions and honest about his mistakes. I found it a pretty even view book about life in the Eagles.

A few things to think about:

After the Long Beach/Wrong Beach episode the band was still together trying to finish The Long Run, but Glen wouldn't come..he record d his parts and emailed them in for mastery.

When you see the clips on stage, Glen had way more to say than Felder. " three more songs, asshole. I can't wait. I'm gonna kill you." Really? Way over the top.

When there was a plan to reunite in the early 90s, everybody showed up for several days with the promise of Glenn showing up, until it became evident he wasn't coming. Was Glenn playing them or had Irving manipulated the situation by saying he was coming..hoping he'd show up when all the others did?

Felder's journals were probably started around 2001ish.. Fresh on the heels of the breakup. It couldn't be published until the litigation was settled. I think over time. He has come to focus on the music the good times with the guys and accepted and moved on from the negativity. Everything I read now is pretty complimentary.

The 4version of the Eagles has kept the music alive in this century, entertained old fans and garnered new ones. Don Felder's shows are smaller, but all over the country, and because of his Heavy Eagles tunes show set (which some people think he shouldn't play..huh?), he has also helped keep the music alive.

Glenn had a great chance in HOTE to show the image of a softer gentler Glenn, but it seemed almost as if he prided himself on looking like an SOBthat nobody can boss around.

Glenn was The Eagles. He had that vision from the time he was in his mother s womb. That vision colored everything and the Vision was more important than the people who made the vision happen. We have the amazing music as a result of that vision, but I believe it played a big part in some of the bands issues.

One of the number one culprits that broke up the Eagles was the heavy cocaine use. Glen said it, " It bought out the worst in all of us."

The sad thing is that Glenn is gone and there is no chance to heal those old wounds. It should be a lesson to everyone that life is short. We must make the best of it. What's done is done, forgive and move on..for your own well being first and then for the well being of others.

I didn't see Felder's Grammy statement as whimsy. I just figured he was asked about it, so he was clarifying that he wasn't asked to participate, but he would have been honored to if asked. His words about Glenn after his death indicated his respect. My favorite comment, "Glenn was always the coolest guy in the band,"

All of fans ( those who came to love The Eagles in the days of Felder.) would die to see the remaining six all on good terms..and maybe play one song or two together. It would be amazing for everyone..especially them to move to a new and better place.

Stuck on the Border buffyfan145's Avatar

I hardly ever post about this as it still saddens me when it causes so much divide in the fandom. Of course I'm one of the younger fans and a lot of things happened before I was even born but I try not to take sides. Of course I tend to favor Glenn and Don so I am somewhat biased, but I do love all 7. Plus, I was only 8 when the Eagles reunited for HFO and I really only remembered Felder in that and the HOF induction. My parents told me about what happened and how Glenn and Felder didn't get along and how it was like that in other bands they liked and eventually I liked over the years as well (some current bands still go through this). So I felt they explained it better to me as I was about a pre-teen at the time he was fired so I found this very fascinating, which probably was a precursor to me becoming a writer.

That being said I still find this whole situation sad and it's so much like issues that have gone on in my father's side of the family. Forgive me for getting personal but it shows why I don't understand when people fight like this and don't see the big picture. My Dad has such a turbulent relationship with his older siblings and we now hardly ever seen them as a result, but I do still try to stay in contact with my cousins as we all feel like we were put into this situation we had no part in. This was unfortunately passed down as similar things happened with my grandparents and their siblings, and their parents as my great-grandfather was disowned by his parents because he married and Italian. My Grandma still regrets to this day she never made up with her brother before he died and realized how stupid their fighting was as she'll never see him in this life again. I'm glad my Dad found my Mom and her side of the family as they were not raised to hold grudges and she didn't raise my brother or I that way either.

That's why I have such a hard time understanding how things can get so bad between family and friends. I understand in some cases it's unavoidable but in this case I feel if they all hashed it out and actually talked it would've been different (same with my family). I love all 7 of the Eagles and their whole story involves all 7 of them. It's sad how things turned out but hopefully our love for the band will be what's important. In the end all of this doesn't matter anyway but our love for the band and the music.
    ~*Amanda*~
    "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key."

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

E7 - The answer to a lot of your questions can be found in various threads throughout the Felder forum. I'll reply to a few of your comments here in bold, but for the most part, as you stated, each of us have different perspective and value systems, which is why we may interpret things differently. As far as the HoTE docmentary, much of what you bring up is discussed in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Okay, I just finished reading this 2year old thread today. It's interesting and it really shows how differently we can all think. Even though a lot of people have read the same book (H&H), there are very different interpretations. Some see him as whiney and acting like he didn't make any mistakes, and others see him as justified in his actions and honest about his mistakes. I found it a pretty even view book about life in the Eagles.

A few things to think about:

After the Long Beach/Wrong Beach episode the band was still together trying to finish The Long Run, but Glen wouldn't come..he record d his parts and emailed them in for mastery.

When you see the clips on stage, Glen had way more to say than Felder. " three more songs, asshole. I can't wait. I'm gonna kill you." Really? Way over the top. [No - Long Beach was in 7/1980; the Long Run was released in 1979. Glenn has stated that Long Beach was 'the last straw' for him and that's when the band broke up.]

When there was a plan to reunite in the early 90s, everybody showed up for several days with the promise of Glenn showing up, until it became evident he wasn't coming. Was Glenn playing them or had Irving manipulated the situation by saying he was coming..hoping he'd show up when all the others did? [Don't know - all I've ever read is that Glenn had second thoughts and a change of heart.]

Felder's journals were probably started around 2001ish.. Fresh on the heels of the breakup. It couldn't be published until the litigation was settled. I think over time. He has come to focus on the music the good times with the guys and accepted and moved on from the negativity. Everything I read now is pretty complimentary. [That's definitely a matter of perspective i.e. the Grammy tribute you cite below is just one of several very negative posts by Felder on his Facebook page that he has deleted; there are also quite a few negative interviews that he has given in recent years.]

The 4version of the Eagles has kept the music alive in this century, entertained old fans and garnered new ones. Don Felder's shows are smaller, but all over the country, and because of his Heavy Eagles tunes show set (which some people think he shouldn't play..huh?), he has also helped keep the music alive. [Just my jaded opinion, but I honestly don't think the band benefits much from his efforts in this regard.]

Glenn had a great chance in HOTE to show the image of a softer gentler Glenn, but it seemed almost as if he prided himself on looking like an SOBthat nobody can boss around. [Again, a difference of perspectives - there are many that appreciate how blunt and forthcoming Glenn was.]

Glenn was The Eagles. He had that vision from the time he was in his mother s womb. That vision colored everything and the Vision was more important than the people who made the vision happen. We have the amazing music as a result of that vision, but I believe it played a big part in some of the bands issues. [Agreed, except he was probably the most instrumental of all in making the vision reality, so, to me, he was understandably a bit overprotective of his brand.]

One of the number one culprits that broke up the Eagles was the heavy cocaine use. Glen said it, " It bought out the worst in all of us." [Agreed]

The sad thing is that Glenn is gone and there is no chance to heal those old wounds. It should be a lesson to everyone that life is short. We must make the best of it. What's done is done, forgive and move on..for your own well being first and then for the well being of others.

I didn't see Felder's Grammy statement as whimsy. I just figured he was asked about it, so he was clarifying that he wasn't asked to participate, but he would have been honored to if asked. His words about Glenn after his death indicated his respect. My favorite comment, "Glenn was always the coolest guy in the band," [Our perspectives on this one are so different that it makes me wonder if we read the same info. ]

All of fans ( those who came to love The Eagles in the days of Felder.) would die to see the remaining six all on good terms..and maybe play one song or two together. It would be amazing for everyone..especially them to move to a new and better place. [Gotta disagree about this one; as sad as it may be, there are many fans that are quite content with the idea that there will never be a reunion.]

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Being a person who was 5 months old when the Eagles broke up in 1980 and 14 when they got back together, I knew absolutely nothing about the band and I didn't know who Bernie and Randy until the documentary. I don't remember anything about Felder's firing in 2001. I think I had stopped listening to the Eagles by then and I lost touch on their music until 2013. Even though I had 10 of their songs on my Mp3 player, I wasn't a hard core fan yet.

Now to the documentary. When I first saw the documentary, I didn't like Glenn or Don. I thought Glenn was a butthead. Don too. (This is my opinion. This has changed from 2013. So don't throw stones at me). I was on Felder's side and felt sorry for him because he was treated badly.

Now flash forward to 2016(Heck 2015). As I watched HOTE more and more and try to understand what was going on behind the scenes of the Eagles. My opinion on the Glenn/Don and Felder situation(and even what happened in the 70s) has changed from 3 years ago as I read more about the guys and their history. I also understood Glenn more. Heck for years, I had thought Don was the boss, but it was Glenn who was boss and the Eagles was his baby and Don was his left hand man.

I still like Felder. I never had anything against him, but when he starts shooting his mouth off, I get turned off very quickly.

Banned

Remembering Glenn's 70s comment to Cameron Crowe, say what you like just make us look cool. I guess that rang true for the HOTE doc too.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles 7
    The Long Run was, as Ive always been a dreamer says, released before the Long Beach concert. It was the 1980 Eagles Live album, that neither Don nor Glenn wanted to release, that was completed by Fed Ex mail according to Bill Szymczyk. Email was still in it's infancy, 14 years later, when they regrouped for Hell Freezes Over.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles 7
    All of fans ( those who came to love The Eagles in the days of Felder.) would die to see the remaining six all on good terms..and maybe play one song or two together. It would be amazing for everyone..especially them to move to a new and better place.
    Call me a part timer Eagles 7 but I'd rather stay alive. I love the music, I really couldn't care less how well they get on privately.

Quote Originally Posted by bullyfan145
    I feel if they all hashed it out and actually talked it would've been different (same with my family). I love all 7 of the Eagles and their whole story involves all 7 of them. It's sad how things turned out but hopefully our love for the band will be what's important. In the end all of this doesn't matter anyway but our love for the band and the music.
    You mustn't forget that they did get together and thrash it out, for Hell Freezes Over. Within a couple of years, Henley was saying that all the old issues were resurfacing again. Throughout the 80s, I thought Frey was the problem so when Felder was fired it was quite a revelation.
    Last edited by Funk 50; 06-26-2016 at 06:21 PM.

For 23 years people said Axl Rose and Slash would never perform again together. Well if you been living under a rock for the past 6 months well they are. So if those two can play together again I think we can see Felder and maybe Joe and Don.

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    For 23 years people said Axl Rose and Slash would never perform again together. Well if you been living under a rock for the past 6 months well they are. So if those two can play together again I think we can see Felder and maybe Joe and Don.
    Good luck on that one. I definitely don't see that happening with Don and Felder. Joe maybe and that's a BIG maybe, but I doubt it, but definitely not with Don.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by travlnman2 View Post
    I don't think it was a big surprise that Axl and Slash got back together. They were very successful until they splintered. Not so much afterwards.

I don't see Felder increasing anybody's success, except maybe Bernie but nobody appears to be calling for that reunion.