Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Who do you guys side with? Felder or Henley/Frey?

Excellent post, UTW - I think you hit the nail on the head. Negativity begets negativity. As we have probably all experienced at one time or another, it's just not fun to be around someone who is negative all the time. I know when I'm feeling down, I would just prefer to be alone rather than bring other people down with me. I'm not always successful, but self-awareness is always the first step.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Is there anything worst than working with somebody who's never happy??...always bitching???....Hope it never happens to any of you, but it's pure hell....and like Glenn, all your feel like saying is "then get the hell out of here".....

Stuck on the Border

Have a look at page 275 & how he describes Glenn's diverticulis that caused the 1994 tour to be cancelled. I am reluctant to quote it, because it is not very pleasant reading, especially now. I think it sums the man up. It is also telling that he ascribes the nasty comments to Don Henley. I really don't know why this had to go in the book, even if it is true.

Out on the Border
    Some sort of inn.. A monkey wearing a fancy scarf above me.. I’ll just order some wine I guess

Well Felder seemed very reasonable for wanting more equality and openness in the band. Especially Glenn has had problems with several band members, including Bernie who seems to me like the most modest guy ever, and Randy. Glenn should have been more supportive and lenient in different cases. There was one thing I don't agree on with Don Felder: He shouldn't be singing. It's OK on only a few studio recordings, even if all others had a better voice (maybe he should even have gotten one more song, I'm not saying VOL) but once you're going to perform them live, you got a problem. The money, yeah, that's a difficult thing, both parties are right to a certain extent.

What slightly bothers me is the following. First you have people who are only familiar with some of the Eagles' songs and they like their music (understandable). Then they go dig deeper in search of some information and they find out about this very topic. They usually side with Don Felder and just can't get over Don and Glenn being "tyrants towards their fellow bandmates" anymore. That's too bad, as their music tells most of their story and is most important. Although some people are blinded by it, it still is a rather inportant part of the band's history. In return to what is said in the message that starts this thread: Yes, Don and Glenn seem quite a bit full of themselves (but try to stay modest if you're that great), but Don Felder just keeps on telling his story everywhere, a bit too much for my liking.

Glenn: Good evening, we're the Eagles from Los Angeles...
    Joe: Hey tell you what, if you got firecrackers, save 'em until you get home, lock yourself in the closet and light everything you got okay?
    Glenn: ... Thank you Joe!

I think everyone is right in there reasoning in this situation. Felder maybe was right on the wrongful termination and Frey and Henley were right on why they needed to get rid of him as they would have most likely broken up if he stayed. Another thing is the HOTE doc portrayed Glenn in a extremely negative way. The doc was my first dive into Eagles history and songs other then common knowledge. After my first viewing I was like "Glenn was such a ass etc) I have been reading all the threads on this topic. Joining this board cleared the fog and my opinion did a 180 turn and I know the bias is false and etc. So I am more of a whole Eagles fan and appreciate all seven of them rather then take sides. I am in the minority but I just don't like Long Road Out of Eden. I guess I haven't listened to it enough. Glenn and Don made the right decision as they were able to keep the band going until January 18th 2016. I am very sad I will never see the Eagles in concert. At least I have Farewell 1,HFO,HOTE and Youtube, Finally. I think Stuart Smith is a fantastic picker but the problem I have is that he did not have a lot of original parts in the band and was just a hired hand so I see him as just playing Felders parts(which he can play very well) If he was a a official band member I think I would not have a big issue with him. As for the HOTE tour even if Felder was considered I am kinda happy he did not appear but sad as well. I would have like him just to make a guest appearance just on OFTN and HC as those are the only parts I have a problem with Stuart playing. Now everyone has flaws and strengths[B]. Felder has the media on his side to paint him in a positive light and a victim while Glenn and Don are made to be the villains. Glenn founded the band did whatever he wanted to as long it was in the best interest of the band, These power struggles aren't unique to the Eagles. "You can't have 5 or 4 leaders in a band it doesn't work" Glenn and Don can do what they want as they founded the band and do most of the songwriting it's their right and it can't be taken away. I just like to think of the Eagles as the 7 guys who are not better then each other and all contributed equally but Glenn and Dong get to pull the strings."It's like a sports team no one can do it without the other guy's but not everyone gets to touch the ball."

Have a nice day

Border Desperado

Glenn did have more success than the others during the break up years, but it paled in comparison to Don's. So why doesn't Don get more money. I'd love to hear Glenn's response if someone asked him this. He might blow a blood vessel.[/QUOTE]

This is rather interesting, because I saw something on line about Don Henley being on the 2015 list of musicians as top earners , so I just checked everyone's net worth...and Don did make a lot more, but they said part of that is also from real estate holdings, investments, you know, good business decisions.

Here's each Eagle's net worth..not too shabby.

Don H - 200 mil
    Glenn - 90 mil
    Joe - 65 mil
    Don F - 60 mil
    Timothy - 15 mil
    Randy - 15 mil
    Bernie - 10 mil

Border Desperado

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    With regard to the specific incident back in 2001 I tend to side with Felder, however I don't think he's handled himself well with Eagles matters since; however neither Henley nor especially Frey came out of HOTE smelling of roses either.

In all honesty the whole thing genuinely upsets me. I absolutely adore this band, and all seven members. I look back at all the old footage and see one of Felder's first Eagles moments when he gave one of the best performances I have ever seen on DKRC back in 1974; I see him and Glenn with arms around each other's backs like best buddies on Houston 77 (before Walk Away); the seemingly-impossible reunion back in 1994 that spawned one of the most successful tours of all time. Then it all changes. Gone is one half of one of rock's greatest guitar partnerships, one of the most successful band line-up's ever, and the man who (no matter who wrote or changed what) created the base of the band's most famous song, one of the biggest songs of all time. The fact that it even creates tensions on a fan-forum, factions into who loves one or the other, is awful. I can't tell if Felder's actions since constitute bitterness, contempt or regret, or a combination thereof; but I honest to God hope one day, even if it's the final tour or show or act the band ever puts out that at least the bridges or rebuilt. Will it happen? Probably not. Would it delight millions of loyal followers however? Yes. We should remember the Eagles for being America's finest ever export, a band who millions of people over nearly half a century have sang, cried and had their highest highs to. We shouldn't remember it because three of them didn't get along.
    This thread is showing (haha is showing) up today, and was evidently started 2 years ago. I guess it's up since there has been some discussion and differing views on the Kennedy Center's honor, so I'm gonna try to ready it all today.

I just came across this post on the first page and wanted to say it is beautiful..it just totally captured my viewpoint as well, and I wanted to thank you for such an honest and fair post. I can believe everything you are feeling!

Out on the Border Jeremy Lawrence's Avatar

To me, it was always like a child of divorced parents having to pick one..... I couldn't do it. Still love them both.

Besides, we'll never know the true story, just get bits and pieces of each side.
    Jeremy Lawrence - Author
    "Already Gone: a Novel"
    http://smarturl.it/ey9snd
    https://www.facebook.com/alreadygonenovel/

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eagles7 View Post
    Glenn did have more success than the others during the break up years, but it paled in comparison to Don's. So why doesn't Don get more money. I'd love to hear Glenn's response if someone asked him this. He might blow a blood vessel.
    This is rather interesting, because I saw something on line about Don Henley being on the 2015 list of musicians as top earners , so I just checked everyone's net worth...and Don did make a lot more, but they said part of that is also from real estate holdings, investments, you know, good business decisions.

Here's each Eagle's net worth..not too shabby.

Don H - 200 mil
    Glenn - 90 mil
    Joe - 65 mil
    Don F - 60 mil
    Timothy - 15 mil
    Randy - 15 mil
    Bernie - 10 mil[/QUOTE]

I've never doubted that they are all worth a fair few bob. That's why it really surprised me when I heard that the Eagles helped Randy out with some of his medical bills. Maybe it was financial encouragement for him to get into shape to take part in the HOTE tour.

Was it multi-millionaire Don Henley who said he was having difficulty finding a multi billionaire to help fund his Walden Woods charity?

I would've thought that Don Felder would have enough spare cash to invest in a solo career and Joe Walsh to fund a tour of Europe and the un-United Kingdom.

I'm glad that none of them have retired to a life of opulent luxury.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by The Silk Scarf Monkey View Post
    Well Felder seemed very reasonable for wanting more equality and openness in the band. Especially Glenn has had problems with several band members, including Bernie who seems to me like the most modest guy ever, and Randy. Glenn should have been more supportive and lenient in different cases. There was one thing I don't agree on with Don Felder: He shouldn't be singing. It's OK on only a few studio recordings, even if all others had a better voice (maybe he should even have gotten one more song, I'm not saying VOL) but once you're going to perform them live, you got a problem. The money, yeah, that's a difficult thing, both parties are right to a certain extent.

What slightly bothers me is the following. First you have people who are only familiar with some of the Eagles' songs and they like their music (understandable). Then they go dig deeper in search of some information and they find out about this very topic. They usually side with Don Felder and just can't get over Don and Glenn being "tyrants towards their fellow bandmates" anymore. That's too bad, as their music tells most of their story and is most important. Although some people are blinded by it, it still is a rather inportant part of the band's history. In return to what is said in the message that starts this thread: Yes, Don and Glenn seem quite a bit full of themselves (but try to stay modest if you're that great), but Don Felder just keeps on telling his story everywhere, a bit too much for my liking.
    In my view, the difference is that the internet is saturated with so many social media sites where folks are free to post opinions that are devoid of facts or, at best, their own skewed, uninformed version of the facts. This practice, unfortunately, leads to so much widespread misinformation and misconceptions. On this message board, we are able to strive for a higher standard by asking folks to support their opinions with actual facts. I don’t claim that we are always successful, but most folks who come on this board and play loose with the facts are challenged. Even though we get criticized by some for doing that, I believe that, overall, it gives us more credibility by presenting a more well-balanced closer accounting of reality.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016