Thread: Fleetwood Mac Vs The Eagles Or & The Eagles

Out on the Border

Default Fleetwood Mac Vs The Eagles Or & The Eagles

Hi All

I am brand new to the board, I am a avid Fleetwood Mac Fan and Lindsey Buckingham fan but over the past 5 years I have been really enjoying the Eagles music plus their solo work

I have questions ive always wondered, and since I have got the FM Fan side, I kind of want to know from you guys, as I am not familiar with the business nor was I around when both bands were the biggest thing since sliced bread, so here I go

. Who has sold more records?
    . Do or Did FM and Eagles actually like each other back in the day? I know they both were the biggest thing in the 70's and Rumours and HC came out same time etc, I just wonder if there was any dislike of each other etc? I happen to think there was a helath respect
    . Which band do you think was hardest to STAY together ?
    . Which reunion tour was more successful, Hell Freezes or The Dance? I have to say Hell Freezes
    . Did the Mac and Eagles ever play on the same bill ? If so, who headlined?
    . I happen to think Don and Glenn were the back bone of the Eagles, However do you agree that Lindsey Buckingham was the main driving force of Fleetwood Mac? I happen to think so, all be it in the Day Nicks got the most of the credit

. I never have seen much interaction between Lindsey and the Eagles ?
    . Is Lindsey Buckingham the best guitarist of the 2 bands?

. At the end of the day, is it safe to say that BOTH bands are two of the biggest bands that ever existed ?

Side Note, I have been listening to The Carpenters lately, and solo Richard Carpenter, and I am really loving all of the stuff, why arent they in the Hall Of fame?

thank you all and I love being part of this board

David

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

Default Re: Fleetwood Mac Vs The Eagles Or & The Eagles

Welcome, David. Are you from France?

There are indications that the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac had a friendly rivalry back in the day. They played on the same bill several times and Don Henley & Stevie Nicks had a romance of some duration (maybe that's why Lindsey B. doesn't mix with them much).

As for Lindsey being the driving force of FM, do you mean musically? Mick Fleetwood has said that Christine is Lindsey's musical foil, but yes, certainly at times Lindsey's vision has been the dominant one, especially on Tusk.

Why aren't the Carpenters in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame? Snobbery. It is run by Rolling Stone founding editor Jann Wenner and a few (very few!) other people as their personal clique. Many musicians can vote, but I think there is a small circle of people who can nominate people. Yes and the Moody Blues should be in the HOF.

Out on the Border

Yes I am

Stuck on the Border AlreadyGone95's Avatar
    the middle of farm country (southwest Georgia)

I'm a huge fan of both bands. They're both in my top 3 favorite bands. I agree with you that it's safe to say that both hands are among greatest bands of all time.

According to Wikipedia (not the best source for info, I know), the Eagles have sold over 128,000,000 albums while Fleetwood Mac has over 74,000,000 records. The Eagles are the best selling American band of all time.

I wouldn't call Lindsey the backbone of the band. I believe that Mick Fleetwood and John Mcvie are the backbone. They've kept the band going through out the years and the numerous lineup changes.

And welcome to the Border.
    -Kim-

People don't run out of dreams, People just run out of time

Quote Originally Posted by Avile00 View Post
    Hi All

I am brand new to the board, I am a avid Fleetwood Mac Fan and Lindsey Buckingham fan but over the past 5 years I have been really enjoying the Eagles music plus their solo work

I have questions ive always wondered, and since I have got the FM Fan side, I kind of want to know from you guys, as I am not familiar with the business nor was I around when both bands were the biggest thing since sliced bread, so here I go
    Hi David,

Welcome! I am a HUGE Fleetwood Mac fan as well. I love them as much as the Eagles, although lately the Eagles have gotten the lion's share of my attention, and I practically abandoned my Fleetwood Mac-related site years ago to dedicate my efforts to the Eagles. Still, I adore both bands equally.

I wish I was encyclopedic enough in my knowledge of sales and such to gauge success, but I'm not. I suggest you Google for such figures, as I daresay no one here knows them off of the top of their head, and would have to Google it to answer you. However, I'm pretty sure the Eagles have the lead on sales. I just don't know by how much.

The ones I do know:

Do or Did FM and Eagles actually like each other back in the day? I know they both were the biggest thing in the 70's and Rumours and HC came out same time etc, I just wonder if there was any dislike of each other etc? I happen to think there was a helath respect
    Stevie has expressed intense admiration for the Eagles, even appearing briefly on the History of the Eagles documentary to praise them. In interviews "back in the day" she talked about how much she admired their music. She even had a relationship with Don Henley during the 70s. She also had a relationship with Joe Walsh in the 80s when he opened for her. They inspired some of her songs; if you want to stick to the 70s, "Sara" is partially about her relationship with Don. So is "Goodbye Baby," which was written at the time but not released until 2003. She and Don maintain a close friendship to this day.

There was some tension between Stevie and Glenn while she dated Don, but that was resolved and he would open for the Mac in '82. Stevie was one of the artists who publicly expressed sorrow over Glenn's death.

Lindsey is not as big a fan, and has criticized the Eagles for being all about money instead of the craft, but that was only after Don and Stevie were an item. I don't know if that affected his opinion any, but it certainly didn't help.

Which band do you think was hardest to STAY together ?
    Unless you're just talking about the Rumours line-up, Mick Fleetwood made sure Fleetwood Mac, in one way or another, always stayed together.

Did the Mac and Eagles ever play on the same bill ? If so, who headlined?
    I think the only time was a multi-act event on July 4, 1976. They both played Day on the Green in 1975, but on different days. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong about this.

I happen to think Don and Glenn were the back bone of the Eagles, However do you agree that Lindsey Buckingham was the main driving force of Fleetwood Mac? I happen to think so, all be it in the Day Nicks got the most of the credit
    It depends on what you mean by "driving force" and during what period. Overall, Mick was the driving force keeping the band alive. Lindsey, however, was pretty much driving the musical direction of the band from 1976-1987 (not in 1975; he was too new at that point - and arguably not 1982, since there was a blowback from Tusk and he stepped back for Mirage) and from 1997-2003. Lindsey also took the reigns in terms of arranging Stevie and Christine's music as well as guiding production. Lately, Stevie has said he's no longer producing her because she was unhappy with what he did to her songs on Say You Will. It's causing a hold up of a new Mac album. She is a power broker in the band now because, like it or not, she sells more albums and tickets than Lindsey.

I never have seen much interaction between Lindsey and the Eagles ?
    Well, Lindsey did play on one song of Don Henley's Building the Perfect Beast album, but they both shared the same manager. I don't think it was because they were great friends. He has been openly critical of the Eagles. He and Don were both Stevie's guests at a benefit in 2000 and there seemed to be some tension. In 1982, Fleetwood Mac played a benefit where Glenn Frey was the opening act and both Don Henley and Joe Walsh appeared. Lindsey was forced to play guitar on "Leather and Lace" while Don and Stevie sang to each other. He was not happy.

Is Lindsey Buckingham the best guitarist of the 2 bands?
    It's hard to compare because Lindsey's style is so unique. However, if you forced me to pick which guitar player I'd most like to listen to, I'd have to say Lindsey Buckingham.

At the end of the day, is it safe to say that BOTH bands are two of the biggest bands that ever existed ?
    Yes.

thank you all and I love being part of this board
    Glad to hear it and welcome again!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Annoying Twit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Avile00 View Post
    I am brand new to the board, I am a avid Fleetwood Mac Fan and Lindsey Buckingham fan but over the past 5 years I have been really enjoying the Eagles
    music plus their solo work
    Hi David. I presume that if you're a Lindsey fan that you know all his solo album. There are such good songs on those albums that it seems that not too many people have heard. My favourite LB album is "Gift of Screws". There are great songs on there that would fit (in terms of song quality, the lo-fi production might not) on any classic FM album.