Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Busy Being Fabulous

Default Re: Busy Being Fabulous

It's never been a favorite of mine, but after I watched them perform it on the 2008 CMA Awards, I liked it even less. Here's where we begin discussing the performance.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/...+Awards&page=6
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

I like the song but that was certainly a lackluster performance of it. What a waste of an opportunity to generate buzz.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I so agree. I remember being almost angry about the fact that I had to sit through the whole show of COUNTRY MUSIC for that!! They looked as if they were not at all happy that night.

I'm with you PM-- not one of my faves of LROOE and that performance didn't change my mind at all.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

I think the song is great but this is not their best performance ~ everybody has an off night, too bad theirs had to be on national TV.
    ~Sara

I like BBF, it's one of my only songs I like on LROOE. Most of LROOE was too off the beaten path for me. It's also one of my dad's favorite songs (although his favorite Eagles song is In The City).

Just checking out "This Day in Eagles History" and noted that this single was released SEVEN YEARS AGO. Can you believe it?!

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

It does seem unbelievable that it has been 7 years. As the old saying goes ... 'time flies when you're having fun'.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Rebel

Default Meaning of Busy Being Fabulous

When LROOE first came out, I could swear I read somewhere that this song is about George W. Bush. Until I read that, I thought the lyrics were kind of mediocre-ish, vaguely echoing Billy Joel's Big Shot, and possibly the Eagles' Victim of Love. But listening it to from the perspective of being about Bush makes me smile to myself; it seems very Don Henley -- sarcastic and somewhat angry.

Has anyone heard this before? When I Googled it recently, I couldn't find anything like this, although I did see one comment that it was about the state of the union.

Does anyone have any other ideas of what it's about? My other thought would be it's kind of about Don himself, or maybe the Eagles, or "life in the fast lane" again, or possibly all of us, that we all need to take time to smell the flowers and appreciate the little things in life, instead of being caught up in being fabulous and making a great impression on others. I really don't think it's about a woman in Don's life. Any ideas?

Default Re: Meaning of Busy Being Fabulous

I've never heard that theory. I've never thought of Bush as being very "fabulous." He traded on being down to earth and was often mocked for being too "folksy" - far from the glamorous socialite of the song. I took it at face value as being about a woman who put partying over relationships.

When it first came out, I think we had a thread for it. I'm gonna go digging!

ETA: Found it. I'm combining the threads... although in truth, the old thread didn't get into interpreting the lyrics. Perhaps we can do that now, all these years later!

Border Rebel

Thank you for putting it into the right thread, Soda. I'll enjoy reading through it.

If the song is about George W, I don't think it's about him being fabulous so much, as him thinking he's fabulous! (And spending more time thinking that than worrying about the country, or so the song would suggest.)