Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Vocal harmony conbination variations

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I watched the 1973 BBC video of Peaceful Easy Feeling recently and realised that it's just Glenn, Bernie and Randy singing. About 2 minutes into the song, there's a shot where Don is in the background and he's not singing whereas the other three can all be heard.

This got me wondering whether Don sang "Silver Daggers". It's impossible to see in the BBC concert, but in the 1972 Central Park performance, Don is clearly shown singing.
    Interesting observation, UTW. I've never seen any early footage of Don singing Silver Dagger. I guess I just assumed he did, but it's quite possible that they hadn't fully developed the amazing 4-part (and later 5) harmonies that they would come to be so well known for at that point. When I get a chance, I'll have to try to listen real closely to see how many voices I can hear. Oh my - the work never ends!

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I watched the 1973 BBC video of Peaceful Easy Feeling recently and realised that it's just Glenn, Bernie and Randy singing. About 2 minutes into the song, there's a shot where Don is in the background and he's not singing whereas the other three can all be heard.
    He sings the high harmony on the first line of the second verse ("I found out a long time ago") and the middle harmony on the "oohs" on the bridge and the outro

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

I've read (in one of the many memorials) that Glenn arranged the Eagles harmonies - anyone here know if that's true?

I think the usual way is for singers to write and/or come up with their own harmonies. Art Garfunkel, for example, developed his own harmony part on the Simon & Garfunkel records, as did Graham Nash with CSN. In his book, Felder credited Randy with coming up with the edgy, unconventional high harmony parts he (Randy) sang.

Stuck on the Border

While of course they would all have played a part....Glenn was known as the Lone Arranger & as far as I know arranged not only the musical parts but the vocal parts as well, so the answer is yes.

Perhaps I am wrong but I really don't want to bring Felder into this. He was unable to give Glenn credit for anything at all before Glenn died.
    Last edited by Freypower; 01-26-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Its hard to know the extent of Glenns or anyone's contribution as they never went into any detail about the process of making the songs or what they each did specifically, though I've recently seen a clip opening of the tribute videos saying he loved harmony parts
    Same Dancers in the Same Old Shoes

Stuck on the Border NightMistBlue's Avatar

In a 2003 interview with Cameron Crowe, Don H. said: "We gave Glenn a nickname, The Lone Arranger. He had a vision about how our voices could blend and how to arrange the vocals and, in many cases, the tracks."

Hmm. So Glenn was the vocal arranger. Very interesting. Still, I'm inclined to believe - as Freypower said - that each member contributed. It's hard to imagine a strong-willed person like Henley in particular just taking direction. They were all pros, Glenn wouldn't have told them what to sing just as he (or the producer) wouldn't have told someone how to play.

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs here. I've said it before, but I think I underestimated Glenn as a musician.

Time to revive this thread.

Personally I kinda like Randys Harmonies better then Timmothies because they just seem fuller and I can really hear his voice stand out but Tim is more in the background. Whenever I am listing to pre Tim eagles songs I always can here Randy.

Timmothy is great also like I prefere his Harmonies on VOL.

In the first few lines of Seven bridges road Felder can be really audible with his Bass register.

Border Rebel

It's funny because, although I love both of their voices, I like Timothy's better for almost the same reasons you stated. I think Randy had a stronger/more powerful voice, but to me, in harmony,it's all about the blending,and I think Timothy's voice blends better. His voice also has an incredibly sweet quality that I love.

Stuck on the Border

Tim shines in Waiting In The Weeds. That's probably my favourite backing vocal of any Eagle.

Border Troubadour

Thought of another whilst I was listening to it tonight - would the end of WDIDWMH from Tell me you're not leaving now... be one of the few examples of the three part Don-Joe-TBS harmony?

I will give an extra shout out to Glenn on this too, his vocals at the end are one of the most powerful of any Eagles song, right up there with his And you're still around in NKIT, and Henley at the end of OOTN.