Thread: The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Border Troubadour

Default The Eagles 02 Dublin 4 June 2014

Hi all, I've finally arrived home after numerous modes of transportation as I don't live near Dublin and I'm exhausted and suffering from PEW.

I won't go into all the technicalities of the show as I know you're all aware of the format and I preface my remarks by saying I am Don biased so I'm sure GA and Desperada will balance the equation at some stage. So again, I apologise for being one-sided in my comments.

Firstly, the show was fabulous, the sets, sounds and atmosphere amazing. When Don and Glenn came out I thought my chest would explode. Don immediately won the hearts of everyone when someone shouted (a woman I take it but not me surprisingly) 'I love you Don'. He answered in a not too bad attempt at an Irish accent, 'but darlin' I hardly know you'. The whole set just flew by with everyone joining in as they do in Ireland which Don later acknowledged as he said he needed some help tonight and pointed to his chest. Now I hadn't realised he had a sore throat or infection 'cos I thought he sounded brilliant.

I loved Bernie singing 'Train leaves here this morning' as it's one of my favourite songs. Surprisingly, and maybe it's just me but I thought Bernie actually looked small - maybe he just seemed bigger when he had all that hair

Anyway, I have to be honest but the heat in the auditorium was overwhelming and I was very concerned. You see I've just had the most awful few months of my life. My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer in March and he and I have had our differences so I've been feeling very conflicted. A couple of weeks after the news I was driving into college when my body just went into shock and I collapsed. The paramedics arrived (much to my embarrassment I might add) and examined me and decided it was stress related, the usual answer when they're not sure and told me I must have had a panic attack. Now, I have had those a few years ago and this didn't seem the same to me at all and my doctor actually thought it was the after-effects of a migraine attack when I spoke to him subsequently. But anyway once they mentioned panic attacks I couldn't stop thinking of them and then of course I did start getting them - incessantly, so much so that I could hardly leave the house or drive and I'm already under pressure trying to finish my PhD. I have started seeing someone to talk it through which is helping Thank God but only for this board and the Eagles and Don I think I would have gone crazy these last few months...

...so when Don started singing 'every night I'm lying in bed holding you close in my dreams', I got so overwhelmed to think that was actually him the man I've adored forever - in reality and not just on a DVD or CD. I went through a very bad patch then and really thought I'd have to leave the show and after the interval it got worse so much so that I hardly heard Timothy B. but Glenn is a great showman and when he asked everyone to join in with Heartache tonight, I did and felt my tensions ease. So I was able to enjoy the rest of the night, and savour every Don moment and think about it and remember it 'cos I know times are going to be hard for us but last night will live long in my memory of good times.

They say you should never meet your idol in case they disappoint you - well I didn't actually meet Don but I heard him and saw him and he didn't disappoint. He was gracious, warm, endearing and supremely talented and though I couldn't take a photo of him from last night, here's a sketch I did of him in his 70s heyday.

And yes, in case any of you are in any doubt, I LOVE DON HENLEY
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ...Well it sure makes you wonder the things that some people will say. They can see black and white but they don't seem to notice the grey...