Page 30 of 69 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite TV Shows

Default Re: Favorite TV Shows

I've read the White Queen and enjoyed it. Were the others as good? I like Phillippa Gregory's books, even though they do take artistic license with what really happened.

As for her falling in love with Richard, maybe Gregory thought that would be the only way that she would want to be with a man who was the 'enemy', so to speak. I find it interesting that they left out his crooked spine (he was called a hunchback). I doubt that he would have been quite as attractive to her.

I thought that they handled the disappearance of the two princes well in regards to the fact that no one really knows who killed them. It was highly improbable that one of them got away. I wish that she wouldn't have done that. There is no historical proof that one of them lived.

I love Blue Bloods. Tom Selleck plays an excellent police chief.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Border Desperado

Agreed DJ- We recorded it last night and are watching it right now!

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    I've read the White Queen and enjoyed it. Were the others as good? I like Phillippa Gregory's books, even though they do take artistic license with what really happened.
    I enjoyed The Red Queen as well. While she's far less sympathetic, it's interesting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532
    As for her falling in love with Richard, maybe Gregory thought that would be the only way that she would want to be with a man who was the 'enemy', so to speak. I find it interesting that they left out his crooked spine (he was called a hunchback). I doubt that he would have been quite as attractive to her.
    Shakespeare described him as a hunchback, but his crooked spine was more indicative of scoliosis. Regardless of semantics, the fact that he wouldn't have been physically attractive is undeniable. Still, even if he were a hottie and she discounted the rumor about him killing her younger brothers as is the case in Gregory's scenario, he was DEFINITELY the man who executed her half-brother and uncle. There is nothing sexy about that!

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532
    I thought that they handled the disappearance of the two princes well in regards to the fact that no one really knows who killed them. It was highly improbable that one of them got away. I wish that she wouldn't have done that. There is no historical proof that one of them lived.
    It may be improbable, but there was a real instance of a man who claimed to be that surviving second son and even led several uprisings in the name of York after Henry Tudor took the throne. While his claim is largely discounted by historians, Gregory is treating it as truth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck

Personally, my money's on Richard III having killed both boys, but we'll probably never know.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

My friend Kristin convinced me to watch Game of Thrones, and thanks to my recent subscription to HBO in order to watch the Hall of Fame ceremony at the end of the month, I can stream it from the HBO site.

I just finished Season 1 and I don't know if I can continue. So much gore and death... it gets rave reviews, but I don't know if I'm cut out for it.

I used to watch True Blood religiously but it has gotten very old. This is the last season, thank goodness. I do wonder what will happen to end it all. My prediction is all the Vamp's will turn mortal... Bill and Sookie will get back together.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    I enjoyed The Red Queen as well. While she's far less sympathetic, it's interesting nonetheless.

Shakespeare described him as a hunchback, but his crooked spine was more indicative of scoliosis. Regardless of semantics, the fact that he wouldn't have been physically attractive is undeniable. Still, even if he were a hottie and she discounted the rumor about him killing her younger brothers as is the case in Gregory's scenario, he was DEFINITELY the man who executed her half-brother and uncle. There is nothing sexy about that!

It may be improbable, but there was a real instance of a man who claimed to be that surviving second son and even led several uprisings in the name of York after Henry Tudor took the throne. While his claim is largely discounted by historians, Gregory is treating it as truth.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkin_Warbeck

Personally, my money's on Richard III having killed both boys, but we'll probably never know.
    I watched a documentary a month or so ago on Netflix following the story of how they discovered the remains of Richard III. It was under a parking lot - haha, but had originally been the sight of a church. They determined that he did indeed have scoliosis, but they didn't find any evidence of a withered hand/arm.

I didn't know that there was someone who claimed to be one of the lost princes and had led uprisings. I guess it makes for a more interesting story line to have one of them live. And for what it's worth, I agree that Richard is probably the one who had them killed. Back then anyone who was a threat to, or had a claim to, the throne was usually done away with.

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    My friend Kristin convinced me to watch Game of Thrones, and thanks to my recent subscription to HBO in order to watch the Hall of Fame ceremony at the end of the month, I can stream it from the HBO site.

I just finished Season 1 and I don't know if I can continue. So much gore and death... it gets rave reviews, but I don't know if I'm cut out for it.
    I quite like GOT, but the violence is really in your face. That and the fact that there are women's breasts everywhere you look I don't mind when it's part of the story, but a lot of them are there for window dressing (for lack of a better term!)
    Season 2 is good, but if you decide to watch it, skip the 'red wedding'. I didn't know what was coming, and it was very difficult to watch.
    My favorite is Daenerys Targaryen. She starts to really come into her own. Talk about girl power! Her story line at the end of the second season is great.

I tried to start watching Penny Dreadful on Showtime and couldn't finish it. It's creepy and hard to follow. Perhaps I'll try again.

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    I quite like GOT, but the violence is really in your face. That and the fact that there are women's breasts everywhere you look I don't mind when it's part of the story, but a lot of them are there for window dressing (for lack of a better term!)
    Season 2 is good, but if you decide to watch it, skip the 'red wedding'. I didn't know what was coming, and it was very difficult to watch.
    My favorite is Daenerys Targaryen. She starts to really come into her own. Talk about girl power! Her story line at the end of the second season is great.
    I decided to take your advice. I just look away and fast forward all the violent scenes and ridiculously explicit sex scenes, and I can get through it (plus I get through it much more quickly - I'm already on Season 3 lol). Of course, I can't ff past all the "window dressing" nudity so I just have to deal with that.

I haven't heard of Penny Dreadful, but I don't have Showtime, so I guess it's just as well!

I'll be discontinuing HBO after this month, too. I don't need to spend $18 a month on a television channel when there are tickets to be bought!