Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Least favourite Eagles song?

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Worst Eagles song: Greeks dont want no freaks

I dig all of them.

A friend told me recently his favorite Eagles song is Teenage Jail. lol

Stuck on the Border

Here is our original 'least favourite' topic.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/foru...ead.php?t=5167

Quote Originally Posted by AlreadyGone95 View Post
    I actually like Greeks and Teenage Jail. The Disco Strangler is ok, but I usually hit the skip button or move the needle over it. My vote for worst Eagles song is I Love to Watch a Woman Dance. I hit skip within 10 seconds of it starting. *ducks and runs away from my fellow Frey fans*
    Ill make it even more contrversial, ill go ahead and say that i consider the Long Run to be the Eagles last studio album. That country thing they did a few years back to me is not real Eagles.

Stuck on the Border Jonny Come Lately's Avatar
    Watching the hazy sun sinking in the sea in England

While I agree that Greeks isn't exactly the Eagles' finest hour, I think it's definitely not their absolute worst song. It is good fun, and has a rocking groove. The surf guitar lick before the second verse is a great little moment. It's not exactly a lyrical masterpiece, but it doesn't need to be. It doesn't outstay its welcome either.

I personally really like Teenage Jail - it wouldn't be anywhere near my worst Eagles songs. I love the heavy riff, synth solo and the guitar solo. It also strongly appeals to my sense of humour. It always makes me smile when I hear it.

I have to be honest when it comes to Disco Strangler and say that over time I dislike it less and less. I don't skip it when listening to The Long Run and sometimes listen to it on its own. While I still agree that it sounds 'wonky', I now think this seems more like a deliberate creative decision than a recording session gone horribly wrong. Similarly, I think the most annoying part of the vocal melody 'Look at me baby look at me I'm beautiful I'm beautiful I'm somebody' is meant to be annoying - without condoning the actions of The Disco Strangler himself, I don't think we are meant to sympathise with the woman in the song.

This is probably as good a time as any to state my love of The Long Run album, which has grown on me immensely to the point where I actually cannot think of a record that has grown on me more. It used to be my least favourite of the 1970s releases, but nowadays I consider it to be my fourth favourite Eagles album. The music, lyrics and general dark feel of the record come together to, and I can't argue with most of the songs. This album produced the title track, ICTYW, In The City, Heartache and Those Shoes, plus the greatly underrated The Sad Café and King Of Hollywood. Given that I love TJ, that leaves only two weaker songs, both of which are short (both are under three minutes in length). I think most rock bands would kill for such a line up of songs, especially for a supposedly 'disappointing' album. In my opinion, Tusk from the same year is a weaker set of songs and has a couple of stinkers I genuinely dislike and never listen to - I feel the same way about The Ledge that many Borderers feel about Disco Strangler, for instance.

ILTWAWD isn't one of my absolute favourites from LROOE, but if I'm in the mood for it I do enjoy it. The only real problems are that it just doesn't feel like an Eagles song and I also think it is a bit out of place on the more rock-orientated second disc of LROOE in between Last Good Time In Town and Business As Usual. However, it is the only song I don't love from disc two of that album.

As for my genuine least favourites, there really aren't many. That's one reason why I am such a big Eagles fan! I really like all the songs on Hotel California, Desperado and On The Border, and would never think about skipping any of their tracks. I never skip any tracks when listening to the debut album either, although I could live without Nightingale, and do listen to The Long Run from start to finish without skipping too.

One Of These Nights is a different matter, as I Wish You Peace is definitely one of my least favourites. It's a sweet sentiment, but it does nothing for me musically apart from Bernie's solo, which was partially buried under the strings, which I really don't like. Visions isn't great either (I don't hate Felder's vocal, but it doesn't help, nor do the clunky lyrics) although I don't skip it. There are 2-3 tracks I am not that crazy about from LROOE - I'm afraid I just can't get excited about What Do I Do With My Heart, and I have mixed feelings about Fast Company, although that one I think is just about in my good books. There is so much other music on the two discs that I like though so I don't worry about this. From HFO, LWKUA is another one I don't like that much. I didn't used to like TGFY that much, but I think it's grown on me a bit. Ironically I think I may have Don to thank, as Cass County gave me more of an appreciation of more traditional country music as opposed to country rock. I love the two other new songs from that album. I don't like Funky New Year much either, but I have not heard that one for a long time.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by OutlawManNJ View Post
    Ill make it even more contrversial, ill go ahead and say that i consider the Long Run to be the Eagles last studio album. That country thing they did a few years back to me is not real Eagles.
    OK.... we might need a separate topic on that, perhaps, but I think describing the LROOE album as 'country' doesn't really describe the wide variety of music to be found on it. I think it's a shame you say it's not 'real Eagles' when the final lineup all appear on it. It's a sweeping statement. I would say that perhaps some of the songs do sound more like solo songs than Eagles songs, if you wish to put it that way, and I certainly would have liked a breakdown of who plays on which track.

I think both teenage jail and disco strangler are interesting songs. Teenage has some cool solos....and disco has some nice guitar work also, tho notba bg fan of Dons vocals on that. Greeks on the other hand is a mess that sounds nithing like the eagles.

I think the worst Eagles song is the original Victim Of Love with Felder singing

Just kidding I like them all

Hate Disco Strangler.
    Like Teenage Jail.
    Really like GDWNF.
    Love ILTWAWD.

I really do like all of these songs, because they're all deeper tracks on The Long Run. Of the three, TJ is probably my favorite. Don's voice drops to a snarling whisper before climbing back up to full volume where it then trades off with Glenn in a near monotone. I think it's a great duet.

I like DS only because Don is on lead. However, his voice sounds a bit strained to me. But, considering he was near the point of burnout, I'm not surprised at the quality of the vocals.

Lastly, TGDWNF is nothing but a silly frat boy song. IMO, it may have broke some of the tension faced during the grueling recording sessions. Maybe it was good for the band to just cut loose and have some fun at that time.
    "You thought you would be satisfied, but you never will learn to be still."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    OK.... we might need a separate topic on that, perhaps, but I think describing the LROOE album as 'country' doesn't really describe the wide variety of music to be found on it. I think it's a shame you say it's not 'real Eagles' when the final lineup all appear on it. It's a sweeping statement. I would say that perhaps some of the songs do sound more like solo songs than Eagles songs, if you wish to put it that way, and I certainly would have liked a breakdown of who plays on which track.
    A breakdown would certainly help. I can't help feeling that a lot of the music on Long Road Out Of Eden is played by support band. I wouldn't call it a country album either.

The worst Eagles song is something I never have any doubts about. No hesitation naming Born To Boogie and I'd rather listen to that than One of These Nights (Intro) but I don't count that as a song.

I like Greeks Don't Want No Freaks. The lyrics are fine, apart from the "barfing" reference, catchy chorus, great rhythm track, including the guitar and it has that wonderful surf guitar lick from Joe.

Sure it wouldn't have made the Hotel California cut but it's fine towards the end of The Long Run when short and snappy seems to be the type of song required.