Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SO...HOW DO YOU THINK THE EAGLES' VOICES ARE HOLDING UP?

Default Re: SO...HOW DO YOU THINK THE EAGLES' VOICES ARE HOLDING UP?

..I am presently watching a 2012 CSN concert and their harmonies are AWFUL...it actually hurts my ears...so disappointing....Compared to the Eagles...well there is no comparison..

They were great in Montreal too. Right, GH?

Border Desperado

I think their voices are holding up extremely well. They have done a lot of shows on this leg of the HOTE tour and for three hours a show no less.
    I can only imagine the vocal strain that could cause!

I was concerned about Timothy's voice when I saw him last summer but that was put to rest when I saw him in Columbus he sounded great.

Of anyone, I think Glenn's singing voice seemed "thinner" to me. That may have been because he was not feeling well. Being sick and having a schedule like that is really tough, he may just need to go home and rest in his own bed for a couple of weeks. Overall though, I think they sound fantastic.

I also believe that the perfectionist tendencies that seem to exist in that band would drive their decision to stop touring if they felt their performances did not meet their standards. I really hope that does not happen for quite some time!

I also believe that the perfectionist tendencies that seem to exist in that band would drive their decision to stop touring if they felt their performances did not meet their standards. I really hope that does not happen for quite some time![/QUOTE]

I haven't yet heard them live, so I hope they keep going so I get the chance to see them. That being said, I think this would be the reason they decide to stop touring. They are notorious for their perfectionist demands of themselves when playing live. I think if they felt they weren't able to 'bring it' anymore then they would hang it up. It's not like they need the money - haha

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

ITA that they'll end their touring when their voices aren't up to their own standards. From what I've heard on this tour, that's a long way away. Thank God.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

..Their harmonies are still incredible...that's what gets to me...and they were oh so wonderful in Montreal....xo

With the exception of Tim, They've said themselves that they can't sing as high as they used to on a consistent basis, which is probably why we don't get the key change in "Already Gone" anymore (I speculate). Another example: Back when they played Heart of the Matter, Don flattened out the melody on "I'm learning to live without you now" because it was hard to hit that higher note on "live" consistently. However, I think they've made the changes necessary to the keys and melodies so that they still sound great live. That's more than I can say for many singers of that generation.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I have to agree that all of these guys are still performing vocally at a pretty consistently high level. They have all had some moments over the past few years, but they've all still 'got it', IMHO.

I remember a few years ago when I went to one of Don's solo shows. It was the last show of the tour and when he took the stage, he could hardly speak. I thought to myself 'he's never gonna be able to make it through this show'. As the night went on, his voice got stronger and stronger. And before long, he sounded great. A similar thing happened the other night at the D.C. show. When Glenn spoke the first time, his voice was very noticeably hoarse. But when he sang, he sounded fine, and his voice seemed to get better and stronger as the show went on.

Honestly, I have no idea how they do it. When I'm hoarse, I can barely get a sound to come out of my throat speaking, much less singing. Of course, I'm not much of a singer even when I'm not hoarse.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

I'm surprise that the years that Don, Glenn and Joe smoke cigarettes (I don't know if they still do) didn't damage their voice too much. I know some singers who did smoke their voices aren't the same. Maybe it did mess up their voices with the high notes, I can't tell.

Don can still hit that high note at the end of LR and OOTN.

Shun, let's hope they've all stopped smoking by now, if not to save their lives let alone their voices!
    I think their voices have all held up really well. They're older, their voices are bound to change even a little. They have a comfortable range that they can work all the songs in, and deliver a quality show.
    Do I wish they sounded like they did on their albums from their youth? Sometimes maybe. I would be really interested in hearing King of Hollywood now, only because Don sounds so different on that song, going for that lower register in his voice. I wonder if he can still go down in his register as comfortably as he hits some of the higher notes, especially if the higher notes stress his back I'm sure.