Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 142021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: How Long

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: How Long

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    "Like a bluebird with its heart removed, lonely as a train - I've run just as far as I can run."

What a bizarre lyric to start off what sounds like it's going to be a fun, bouncy song!

Perhaps this is supposed to be an ironic image - the bluebird is normally considered a happy bird full of song, but without a heart, all the joy is dead - same for him.
    I'll take that theory because I've never been able to come up with a meaning to it. To me it's always seemed they just stuck some words together that weren't suppose to make sense.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record BUT we need to hear it from the horse's mouths!! Maybe the dvd will answer some of these questionable lyrics?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

JD's dark humour is all over this one. Considering the bluebird is generally thought of as a symbol of happiness, joy and love, I can't think of anything sadder than a bluebird with its heart removed! The theme of the exterior looking pretty and appealing while the inside is ugly or empty runs through Eagles songs, and it is definitely present in this one. I think it conveys the weariness of that kind of superficial LA lifestyle. "Lonely as a train" is a great line and, to me, it paints a perfect picture of someone rushing through life, living fast, surrounded by pretty scenery, but failing to absorb any of it and certainly not sticking around long enough for anything deep and meaningful to develop. This is a digression, but I like 'Learn To Be Still' so much because it deals with this theme but in a positive way (with the benefit of maturity) and emphasizes the importance of slowing down once in a while to enjoy your surroundings and revel in the simple things. I think that's what the guy in 'How Long' wants, but he's not quite at that stage yet. "It's the same sad situation" - it's like he's stuck on a roundabout and he can't get off.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Ok I just like this song..what can i say..It gets me up rocking and dancing.

Like a bluebird with his heart removed
    Lonely as a train
    I've run just as far as I can run
    If I never see the good old days
    Shinin' in the sun
    I'll be doin' fine and then some
    How long, how long
    Woman, will you weep?
    How long, how long
    Rock yourself to sleep
    I've been doin' time in a lonesome prison
    Where the sun don't shine
    And just outside the freedom river runs
    Out there in that shiny night
    With bloodhounds on your mind
    Don't you know it's the same sad situation
    How long, how long
    Woman, will you weep?
    How long, how long
    Rock yourself to sleep
    Everybody feels alright
    You know, I heard some poor fool say...
    (Somebody oooh...)
    Everyone is out there on the loose
    Well, I wish I lived in the land of fools
    And no one knew my name
    But what you get is not quite what you choose
    Tell me, how long, how long
    Woman, will you weep?
    How long, how long
    Rock yourself to sleep
    How long, how long
    The muddy river runs so deep
    How long, how long
    Goodnight baby, rock yourself to sleep
    Sleep tight, baby, rock yourself to sleep
    B-b-b-bye bye, baby, rock yourself to sleep
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Don't you people recognize a good ol' fashioned country-western song when you hear one? This is a throwback to David Allen Coe's You Never Even Call Me By My Name with the train and prison theme.

http://www.guitaretab.com/d/david-allen-coe/190248.html

Also, look at the similarities with the first verse of Hank Williams Sr.'s I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Hear the lonesome whiperwill
    He sounds too blue to fly
    The midnight train is whining low
    Im so lonesome I could cry

How does someone like me who doesn't care for country music know this stuff? Don't ask.

Bottom line: this song is about a guy who has escaped from prison and is on the run. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Poor little bluebird, I get such an awful graphic image when I hear that line!

Once I get over that line I enjoy the song as a bit of fun & love to sing along with it. Haven't really quite worked the lyrics out on this one yet.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Don't you people recognize a good ol' fashioned country-western song when you hear one? This is a throwback to David Allen Coe's You Never Even Call Me By My Name with the train and prison theme.

http://www.guitaretab.com/d/david-allen-coe/190248.html

Also, look at the similarities with the first verse of Hank Williams Sr.'s I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry.

Hear the lonesome whiperwill
    He sounds too blue to fly
    The midnight train is whining low
    Im so lonesome I could cry

How does someone like me who doesn't care for country music know this stuff? Don't ask.

Bottom line: this song is about a guy who has escaped from prison and is on the run. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Now I know that song (thanks Mom!) and I never put that together.

I'm with you PM. I think that's the story here. And once we get past the graphic image of that poor bluebird with his heart ripped out, it's a fun song that gets you moving.

Side note: Will never forget the first time I saw those 4 figures on a dark stage, holding guitars and just as the lights go up, the first note of this song began. Reduced me to tears!
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Default Re: 20th year Anniversary of the Eagles reuniting for the Take It Easy video.

So for the country fans, what is your opinion of How Long? Even though it was on LROOE, JD wrote it in the early '70s, right? I really like it...I think it sounds like it could have been on an early Eagles album. Or is it over-produced? I wish they were playing it on this tour.

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: 20th year Anniversary of the Eagles reuniting for the Take It Easy video.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    So for the country fans, what is your opinion of How Long? Even though it was on LROOE, JD wrote it in the early '70s, right? I really like it...I think it sounds like it could have been on an early Eagles album. Or is it over-produced? I wish they were playing it on this tour.
    I am not a country fan but I'll tell you what I think. The song was indeed written in the early 70s. When it first came out I loved it & I still love Glenn's vocal, but the lyrics with their imagery of being in a prison don't do much for me. I can't relate to them. I don't know about overproduced... perhaps it is to some extent. I think it is far more a rock song than a country song.

Moved the "How Long" posts here - hope nobody minds!

I love this song and I'm really glad they decided to put it on LROOE. It does have a country flavor to it, but in the modern sense more than the classic country sense.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten