Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: what holiday traditions are important to you?

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Default Re: what holiday traditions are important to you?

well reading everyones posts so far made me think.

I have only been celebrating this holiday for 33 years with JAHH

when we first were dating and married everything was Christmas eve at the inlaws house after his brothers fish store closed( a busy day for them 7 fishes and everything)
    The my oldest neice came along so we went there on Christmas eve.

by the time we had our son, my niece got so upset one year cause my son was not in his crib at home sleeping for Santa to come and bring his presents I knew the gig was up . (besides by that time I just wanted to be in my own home on Christmas eve)
    SO now it had morphed into Christmas dinner all together at the oldest brothers house.
    the kids come in and out (nieces and nephews from two marriages his and hers second marriages lol)
    Us adults have dinner and fun.

As my sister in law who I love dearly said again last night.
    As long as we are all together that's what counts.
    So I promised her I already have lots of her favorite wine for her and coffee and all her favorite things she likes.
    (Its all in a reusable tote basket that is decorated in shoes, her favorite. ANd the coffee is called Joe--dark and handsome , two things my bro in law is not lol)

when our son was little I made a big deal about decorating the tree and remembering each person who gave us each ornament as we put it up.
    Ornaments are a big thing between me and my son. But I found out by accident by almost throwing them away to him it would not be xmas without these three felt mice that we bought together when he was three and we were very poor and bought them in the dollar store. They are falling apart , missing eyes but for some reason , they are a treasure to him and because of that , a treasure to me too.
    sorry

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    100 IMMEDIATE family members?! DANG!!!!!
    Inlaws, kids, grandkids, and great grandkids.

I know. Every day closer to the 21st and I get a little more nervous. Soda, you know there's no way my house will 'sit' that many people! If you happen to get a chair, it's best if you don't get up!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

My family consists of the three of us plus my mother.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

I guess some families are big! Some small!

We tend to put the tree and decorations up around the 8th of December. Then the kids are usually involved in various carol services over the month which we attend. Laura is singing on Friday night this year and Chris on Saturday afternoon. Once the schools close we really feel Christmas is upon us. That will be the 20th this year.

Christmas Eve we go to see the deer in the Phoenix Park in Dublin. A lot of families with small children go to give the deer a traditional 'send off'. We go to Mass Christmas Eve as well. On Christmas Day we exchange our gifts and of course Santa has come. I cook for us on Christmas Day, then the following day, known here as 'St Stephens Day' we head to my parents and family.

In Ireland Christmas tends to continue for the full 12 days. Most people are off until the 6th/7th January. So right up till then we are pretty much in Christmas and Party mode and anything goes!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

My hubby's birthday is the 23rd of December. Growing up, he always hated that because people combined his birthday with Christmas. When we started talking about children, he was strong about the fact that we didn't want children born in December.

Our one child was supposed to come around Thanksgiving but she was stubborn (kind of a pre-warning of things to come ) and she finally decided to enter the world December 8.

To keep her birthday special and to show her how much we care we have always put our tree up AFTER December 8. In years past she would have a bunch of girls over for a slumber party and they would decorate it usually the wee hours of December 9. She is 22 now and in college. My tree is up today but it is not decorated yet.

What a sweet tradition! Even when weeks separate your birthday from Christmas you still get people going the "combo" route. I bet your daughter appreciated your efforts very much!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I hope she does. And I hope she remembers it forever. Today is her 22nd birthday and she has been a grunch all day. I have to remember that her finals week is this week and she is stressed about them. I asked her what she wanted me to make for her b-day (she loves my cooking) and she asked for a special soup I created for her and her boyfriend came over. They ate then left. Who knows when they will be back.

that's so sweet and thoughtful of you 5o wait till afer her bday

I love hearing about everyone's holiday traditions...but kind of makes me sad...our family is pretty much kaput!!...no more traditions from the old days...I put up my tree and play my music...and make cookies...just for myself...

Bj that's a great thing, cause you are important.