Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Border Troubadour

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Any copies of this PEF version knocking about online? My personal fave is from Kirshner's Rock Show with Felder on mandolin.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    They could have fixed anything they didn't like about the live performance of PEF, unless they simply decided they just didn't like the arrangement (sacrilege!). It's gotta be some other reason - I was wondering if it had anything to do with songwriting credits - but wouldn't think so, since LWKUA made it. There must be some strategic reason - maybe they thought they HAD to rely on Henley's super hits for the album to be of interest to the public at that point in time - they didn't have the benefit of knowing how successful the album would be.
    I don't think the songwriting credit would have been a problem as it is by Honorary Eagles Songwriter Jack Tempchin.

It would not have hurt them if Glenn had had one more lead vocal.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    There must be some strategic reason - maybe they thought they HAD to rely on Henley's super hits for the album to be of interest to the public at that point in time - they didn't have the benefit of knowing how successful the album would be.
    This makes sense to me. Judging by the applause that his solo stuff gets during the concert, I think they relied on that to generate some interest from people who were Henley fans, but not necessarily Eagle fans.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I think MC might be on to something too. Don had recently come off of the success of the highly acclaimed End of the Innocence album and they, perhaps, thought the best strategy was to take advantage of that. I think they realize more now than ever that the Eagles' success is largely due to the combined talents of all the members. While we appreciate them all as solo artists, it is their combined chemistry and talents that turn the Eagles into the special band that it is.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Here are the videos of the performances not included on the Hell Freezes Over DVD. The performances are good. The picture quality is very poor, but the sound quality is relatively good. My favorite performance is “One of These Nights.” Don Felder’s guitar solo is, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful solos in music history and he really does a great performance. Timothy’s bass is audible and sounds awesome. The bassline can be heard throughout the whole song, especially from after Don Felder’s solo to the end.

One of These Nights
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OTUyNDQ=.html

Heartache Tonight
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDY5ND....3.1-2.1-1-1-0

Peaceful Easy Feeling
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OT....3.1-2.1-1-1-0

Best of My Love
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OT....3.2-2.1-1-1-1

Lover's Moon
    http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjA4OT....3.1-2.1-1-1-0

I’ll post these videos in the “Eagles videos” thread as well.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

WOW!!!

Thanks SM for finding these. This is awesome!!!

I agree the audio sounds great on these and I guess we'll never know what went into the final decision of which songs to edit out. Another thing I thought about that could have factored into the decision was that maybe they weren't happy with the video in these songs. You can't tell by these since the video quality is sub-standard, but maybe they didn't like the way they were shot or the lighting or something else. It may have actually had nothing to do with the audio at all.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by tjh532 View Post
    This makes sense to me. Judging by the applause that his solo stuff gets during the concert, I think they relied on that to generate some interest from people who were Henley fans, but not necessarily Eagle fans.
    That explains HOTM, but NYM? That never got above #48 on the Billboard chart. I guess he picked that because he thought it would work best with an orchestra over other better known hits like "Boys of Summer" and "Dirty Laundry" - the real crowd pleasers from his solo career - but to have it make the cut when #1 hits like "Heartache Tonight" didn't still mystifies me. Heck, even "End of the Innocence" would have been a better pick; it was a top 10 hit.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

great! thanks SM!

Stuck on the Border Houston Baby's Avatar

Thank you so much SM!! These made my week!!

What a great find SM!

"When you got no life to lose. Well, there's nothin' left to gain"