Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Heartache Tonight didn't make the cut either.

Help Me Through the Night stood out for me too

Border Troubadour

I also loved HMTTN. Just a shame they never released that on the CD, I really wanted that version on my iTunes but had to settle for a version back in the 1970s when in all honesty it was about half as good.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

TLR, the HFO dvd also led me to get HMTTN - I found a version that is the James Gang live on Can't Argue with a Sick Mind - I don't know if this is the one you have, but I think it's good. It's not the Eagles, but nice harmonies.

Border Troubadour

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    TLR, the HFO dvd also led me to get HMTTN - I found a version that is the James Gang live on Can't Argue with a Sick Mind - I don't know if this is the one you have, but I think it's good. It's not the Eagles, but nice harmonies.
    The version I've got is the YCAWASM version, however I don't think it was with the James Gang - I though Joe left them behind in Ohio at the end of the 1960s; wouldn't he have been with Vitale and co. by that point? I believe it is the Eagles (or some of them) doing back up vocals on that version - it's good, but the HFO is miles better for me.

Oh no, you're right, I was looking at Funk 49 in my phone and saw James Gang. Well, if there are Eagles on HMTTN, no wonder I think the harmonies sound good !

Edit: Ah yes, Frey, Henley and Felder on vocals per Wikipedia. The Joe fans probably know all of this already! Sorry! [I am a Joe fan...you know what I mean!] And this whole time I was so impressed with the sound of Joe's band's backup singing...I'm an idiot.

Stuck on the Border

I have a studio recording of HMTTN (from So What) and it has Don H, Randy and Glenn on vocals but for the Don Kirshner concert it was Don H, Don F and Glenn and that's what's on the live recording. I guess I need to listen to all three to hear which is my favourite.

Is there any explanation of the choices for the HFO broadcast, video and CD? I've read Don Felder's comments but his focus is a little too narrow to tell me much. Based on the PEF outtake, it doesn't seem like all those songs were cut for quality (that has to be one of the best versions of that song, imo).
    Last edited by UndertheWire; 04-27-2014 at 05:47 AM.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Heartache Tonight didn't make the cut either.
    Yep - Can't believe I forgot that since it is among my very favorite Eagles songs.

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    Is there any explanation of the choices for the HFO broadcast, video and CD? I've read Don Felder's comments but his focus is a little too narrow to tell me much. Based on the PEF outtake, it doesn't seem like all those songs were cut for quality (that has to be one of the best versions of that song, imo).
    Not that I'm aware of other than a few remarks that they weren't happy with some of the live versions. ITA with you about PEF - I love that version. Honestly, it's been so long since I heard them that I can't remember much about the other songs. PEF is definitely the one that stuck in my head.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That's my favorite arrangement of PEF, ever. I will never understand why it didn't make the cut.

Logic says they picked the stuff that they thought came out the best and would be the most marketable, but since PEF seems to fit those requirements better than some that actually DID make it, its omission is inexplicable. I would gladly trade it for NYM; that isn't even an Eagles song, and it got included. HOTM is also a solo song, but it was arranged to involve all the Eagles and it came out wonderfully. For NYM, the rest of the Eagles hover around in the shadows for most of the song. Very lame that it made the cut and PEF didn't.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

They could have fixed anything they didn't like about the live performance of PEF, unless they simply decided they just didn't like the arrangement (sacrilege!). It's gotta be some other reason - I was wondering if it had anything to do with songwriting credits - but wouldn't think so, since LWKUA made it. There must be some strategic reason - maybe they thought they HAD to rely on Henley's super hits for the album to be of interest to the public at that point in time - they didn't have the benefit of knowing how successful the album would be.