Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

What a great idea for a thread! I agree with most everyone's comments, especially these from dreamer:

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer
    - Tim's infamous "Are you pukin'?"

- Joe talking about wanting to prove that they can still rock.

- When Don comes out of the trailer looking for his partner and calling out "Glenn, Glenn".

- The way Don and Glenn look at each other during Tequila Sunrise.
    And Soda's comment about the beginning segment, where they are all goofing around; and at the end, where Glenn cracks up and teases Don about blowing the words to the new song.

The beginning segments where they are all talking informally are all great--love it when Glenn is shaking their hands and says "Glad to be with you--hope I'm with you all night!" and they all laugh.

That reminds me of a cute moment on Don's Inside Job DVD, where he is talking at the beginning of the DVD about songwriting and says: "When you really can't come up with the right word, there is no substitute for the word 'baby.'"

Stuck on the Border

I pretty much agree with all this so I will add a couple of comments about Glenn The Band Leader.

Because he doesn't sing much you have to watch what else he is doing. His speeches are classic, in particular the 'I wanna thank all you guys' moment. He is very nonchalant about it but he is obviously running the thing even after an absence of 14 years. That is why the incident with Joe is so moving. For once you see a crack in his facade. It gets me every time. There are other hints of nerves elsewhere.

I like watching the way he watches the other musicians. This is particularly evident during Life In The Fast Lane but also while he is playing keyboards. He is keeping an Eagle (what else) eye on proceedings. When he comes over to help Don out during the New York Minute rehearsal segment he obviously wants them to get on with it.

The interaction between Glenn and Don is great to watch. It is so good to see them being friends again. I love how they look at each other during Tequila Sunrise and Learn To Be Still. The 'Tommy Smothers' and 'probably a Wednesday' moments are priceless, as is Glenn's face during Don's 'I don't know' speech.

The pep talk at the start is wonderful, though you can tell how nervous he is by the way he slams the trailer door. 'Hope I'm witcha all night' seems to me just what was required.

He doesn't do a bad job during his lead vocals either. I love how he stands. I love listening to him.

I know this is all about Glenn and I do watch the others as well, but this is what I wanted to say about HFO.

Stuck on the Border EasyFeeling's Avatar

I really enjoyed what you all have written about the favourite HFO moments. I can hardly add something, nothing was left over. Reading this makes me want to watch HFO today which is the best I can do because it's raining all day.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    That reminds me of a cute moment on Don's Inside Job DVD, where he is talking at the beginning of the DVD about songwriting and says: "When you really can't come up with the right word, there is no substitute for the word 'baby.'"
    DF, that is very prophetic, indeed. You are always coming up with such great quotes from Don. Have you thought of compiling them and sending them to Soda so she could start a "Quotable Henley" page on DonHenleyOnline similar to the one she has for Glenn. JMHO, but I think it would great.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

That's a good idea, dreamer! You've found so many quotes, DF, that archiving them would be worthwhile. If you want to copy them into one document and categorize them for me, I'll put them up when I get back from visiting my parents (I leave Tuesday).

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Another sweet moment is Joe's 'It's so sad! Aaah!' before Pretty Maids. Also Don pounding his drums during both this song and later during Take It Easy when he looks like he's having a really good time.

Glenn gives the roadie who hands him his guitar before Help Me Through The Night a nice smile, and Don does this 'calm down' thing with his hands to the audience.

Default Re: Hell Freezes Over: Your Favourite Moments!

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    MF, what you've said about HOTM goes for me, too. It's so moving a song on its own, but when you add the harmonies of other Eagles and the poignancy of the moment... and I love to pick out Glenn's voice on "forgiveness" because he pronounces it just a bit differently from everyone else. "FERgiveness... FERgiveness..." It really is special to hear them going back and forth like that.

"Help Me Through The Night". Joe's finest song and vocal in HFO, in my humble opinion. Joe looks great in HFO, by the way . When they do the last "ooh ooh" to end the song, check out Glenn's expression - closed, intense eyes, furrowed brow, open mouth... Help me through the night, indeed...
    I also agree about HMTTN! Joe sounds and looks magnificent. As for Glenn - just last night I was struck by that last "ooh-ooh" of the song, the very moment you mentioned, with that expression and that mouth... When you wrote this here I thought "Wow, it's like she read my mind!" I also find Joe's performance on Pretty Maids riveting.

The Girl from Yesterday... oh the hotness!!
    Thank you ALL so much for your responses to this! I'm glad you enjoyed the topic.

Soda, I could've quoted your entire post here, but for the sake of length, I decided to pick a select few comments to respond to. You know, I've never noticed that Glenn pronounces "forgiveness" as "FERgiveness" - I'm going to listen out for that when I get a chance to watch HFO again!

It's also amazing that we were thinking along the same lines regarding Joe's HMTTN, AND we watched it on the same day, if not the same time. Great minds, and all that, hmm, Soda? I also enjoy Joe's "Pretty Maids..." performance. Yes, FP, his intro to that is very cute. I've always thought he said "This song is so beautiful...", while pretending to cry. Perhaps I heard incorrectly.

Soda, as for TGFY: oh, the hotness, indeed! I couldn't have put it better myself! I've probably mentioned this before in other threads, but this was the song that made me fall HARD for Glenn . It's the performance that got me interested enough to do an Internet search for him... and the rest is history!

Yes, that "Learn To Be Still" intro in the show by Don and Glenn is adorable - "We wrote it about an hour ago!" The blooper footage is even better, with Glenn's great laugh, straight from his heart, which to me shows his great affection for Don. It's therefore quite a poignant moment too. I love Don's response to Glenn's "I thought you didn't know the third verse - that was only the second verse!"

"No, I know the third verse..." says Don, with a combination of matter-of-factness, a faked wounded ego and amusement. I LOVE it!

Glenn's "...probably a Wednesday" comment is classic, along with Don's amusement. Another poignant moment emphasising the strong bond between those two. Awwwww... Heart-warming stuff.

Then there's Glenn's fingers-through-the-hair moment. Siiiiiiiiiigh... Soda, I must check out Glenn playing on "Take It Easy" - I haven't taken notice of his triceps there... I also love the way Don smiles as they launch into the song. I know why you love the opening credits - I love them too...

Don's moan after "Mercedes Bends" is special to me, too - whenever I perform this song with the band, I make a point of duplicating the moan. It's just got to be there, otherwise it won't sound right! I can't claim to sound as sexy as Don doing it, but I do try...

The band congregating around the drums for LITFL is special, indeed. Has anyone ever noticed the riff they play to end that song? It sounds to me like the riff that runs through The Beatles' "Day Tripper". They also congregate around the drums to end "The Last Resort". I particularly enjoy Glenn's energy there.

Brooke, Don's "I Don't Know!" moment is great, particularly with Glenn's "Good question!" in support! That's a great screen cap, by the way...

Dreamer, I always laugh at the moment when Don is listening to the orchestra, and he says to the camera, "these trained musicians... trained...", and then tells the conductor that they are playing like white people - "It doesn't have the blues, man..."

When Glenn pulls out his tongue coming out of the trailer, that to me is his John Lennon moment. John made a habit of making faces at cameras as he passed them, particularly at airports. I think Glenn would enjoy that comparison! I also love Don's smile at Tim during HC, and believe me, Dreamer and Soda, when Don calls out to Glenn as he comes out of the trailer, my heart just melts... Awwwww...

JF, Joe's guitar solo on LITFL not only seems effortless, it's thrilling!

Maleah, I too enjoy Tim's "off-to-work" comment. The way he says it is almost to reassure those who think he might be goofing off!

FP, that moment where Joe reassures Glenn is moving indeed. Glenn sure seems to put a lot of pressure on himself - he is such a perfectionist (I can identify... ). He makes me want to comfort him... You also said something that pretty much sums up the way I think everyone on this Board feels about Glenn , or any of the other Eagles, for that matter: "I love listening to him". ABSOLUTELY.

One more thing: does anyone know why Glenn is the only Eagle not interviewed before the show? Apart from Sugar singing only three songs, that is the only other downside to HFO from my point of view .

Phew, I waited the whole weekend to discuss this genius DVD with you all (or y'all as Don says in LITFL!) and boy, have I had a good time! Thanks, everybody!! I can't wait for more comments (there will always be more!)!

I've got a peaceful, easy feeling
    And I know Glenn won't let me down

I think the reason Glenn wasn't interviewed was that he was recuperating from his colon operation. You can read more about that here: The Great Gastro-Intestinal Saga of Glenn Frey!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border

They do play the Day Tripper riff at the end of LITFL.

I think Joe does say 'so beautiful' or whatever.

I guess people are also fond of Tim hugging Jean.

Another favourite moment of mine is after the instrumental break in TGFY when Glenn walks back to the mic. Also the way he waves to the audience at the end.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

MF next time you are going to post a topic like this please oh please give me ample notice so I can plan my holidays around it However better late than never. I'm not going to reiterate everything everyone else has said, although I can identify with all of them. I have a list of 14 special moments. but as many are repeats of others mentioned, I'll just put in a few of my favourites. So in order

1. Glenn singing TGFY. From his introduction, where he dedicates his 'new song' to JD souther, the intensity in his voice and his face as he sings it, the way he steps back to allow Joe to do his guitar piece, and how close his mouth is to the mic.

2. Take it Easy, both Glenn' s famous 'And here's How it allllll started', his 'Alright' in the middle of the song, and just the song itself. Its like the lads used it to announce to the world 'We're back' IMHO its a song of sheer joy exuding energy from each band member. See Don's big grin at the start as well

3. Glenn introducing the 'new material' they are going to put forth. He just looks and sounds so hot in that section, and then when he hands over to Tim and Tim sings it. (Had to put that in for my 6 year old daughter who loves Tim. She'd kill me if I didn't include it.)

4. Glenn on the piano as Don sings 'Desperado' Absolutely perfect!

5. Glenn s infectious laugh during the end credits or epilogue as he says 'This is TV' and then himself and Don banter over the second and third verses. I too love the light blue shirt with the jeans that we see in the end credits and at the start where the band members are introduced

There are many more moments which I love, but these are probably the best and most memorable. And I make no apology for the Glenn bias! Hope you like them MF
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP