Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Default Re: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Exactly. The Eagles are in a class by themselves.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Some would say that I'm biased because I'm such a fan, but this is the very reason why I am a fan. The hot looks (then and now) and excellent musicianship just added/adds to it. The hook for me was and is the harmonies, and they still have it. Man oh man do they still have it!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sodascouts View Post
    Exactly. The Eagles are in a class by themselves.
    I agree with this statement , could not have said it better myself.

Stuck on the Border

Eh, I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. I did disagree with his comments at solo shows that they were BETTER, but I have no problem with this "pioneers" bit. They were first, after all.

Anyway, from his perspective, they inspired him not only in his arrangement of HT but in the way he styled his own band. If people are booing his statement of what has inspired him, that's their right, but personally I think we shouldn't boo someone for giving their honest opinion which also happens to be very modest and sweet! Boo people for saying something tacky or mean-spirited, if you must, but not for something like that. If it's some kind of attempt to communicate to Glenn that you think he and the Eagles are just as awesome as the Beach Boys, well, I doubt he needs that ego reassurance, especially at the expense of a group he really respects.

JMHO.
    Agreed.

In any case he probably isn't including his own band in his assessment. If that is his opinion & he wishes to state it then he is entitled to do so without being booed. Good grief. My own opinion is that the Beach Boys are overrated & the best harmony singing band ever, Eagles included, was the Beatles.

In Australia he used the pioneers/settlers line before Caroline, No & I understood what he meant, & to me it was positive. It is negative when he does the Prelude To Obscurity stuff & puts himself down or says things like he sang less because they had Don Henley. That stuff annoys me far more than his obvious honestly felt praise of the Beach Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    or says things like he sang less because they had Don Henley
    Oh gosh, that makes me cringe! I love Don - he has a magnificent voice - but so does Glenn. I hate that Glenn genuinely seems to believe that his voice is inferior.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Oh gosh, that makes me cringe! I love Don - he has a magnificent voice - but so does Glenn. I hate that Glenn genuinely seems to believe that his voice is inferior.
    Yes, I still yell 'boo' when I see that part on the documentary. I'm glad his ego isn't totally out of control, but come on, I still can't imagine what he was thinking then or now to actually think that.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

My own opinion is that the Beach Boys are overrated & the best harmony singing band ever, Eagles included, was the Beatles.
    As much as I love The Beatles and what they did for music (talk about pioneers!), I like the harmonic blend of voices in the Eagles more than The Beatles. I think The Beatles were better songwriters than the Eagles, but like VA said, the Eagles voices are pure MAGIC together. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Same here, PM!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I agree with that too, Pm! There's nothing like the Eagles harmonies.

I will say that I think Crosby, Stills, and Nash are/were a very close second, but the last dvd I heard of their's was a bit of a disappointment. The Eagles voices are holding up better. Jmo.

ETA: Marjorie's hair. It definitely looks like it's been cut around her ear there. And dark? And the hat......makes me wonder.......
    Last edited by Brooke; 10-21-2013 at 03:13 PM.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

With regard to the pioneers/settlers comments, I want to emphasize that I don't think it's a huge deal either, but it did generate some interesting discussion. I certainly understand the point that Glenn is trying to make, I just don't think the way he frames the comment in a concert setting is very effective. All I'm trying to say is anytime a remark is misunderstood and/or causes some fans show their disapproval or displeasure, then perhaps there is a better way to make your point. In any event, I certainly don't get outraged when he says it - just mildly irritated. I only brought it up as an observation.

In Australia he used the pioneers/settlers line before Caroline, No & I understood what he meant, & to me it was positive. It is negative when he does the Prelude To Obscurity stuff & puts himself down or says things like he sang less because they had Don Henley. That stuff annoys me far more than his obvious honestly felt praise of the Beach Boys.
    Both remarks have the same effect on me. I never have any problem with anyone complimenting someone else - as a matter of fact I like to hear it. However, to me these are both examples of Glenn's tendency to undermine himself or the Eagles when he pays a compliment to someone else.

My own opinion is that the Beach Boys are overrated & the best harmony singing band ever, Eagles included, was the Beatles.
    I would also say that I have to disagree with this remark too. IMHO, as big of a Beatles fan as I am and as much as I appreciate their music, I think the Eagles were/are a better band vocally.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016