Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Quote Originally Posted by shunlvswx View Post
    There are some more pictures from Nashville.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/sfCP4.../browse?Page=1
    These are good photos but a couple of Glenn singing would have been nice. He barely features on the first page. And his name is spelt wrong.

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Wait, what is happening with Marjorie's hair in those photos? Is it short and brown? I thought it is long and blond. What am I seeing?

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    Wait, what is happening with Marjorie's hair in those photos? Is it short and brown? I thought it is long and blond. What am I seeing?
    Maybe she just has her hair tied back?

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

Its like Liza Minelli hair. Look at photo # 31 of 195...its coming down onto her cheek, all dark and spiky. I don't get it.

I see what you mean. That's quite a drastic change. Guess it's her business, though.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Thanks for posting the videos Austin. They are excellent quality!

Really making me anticipate 3 weeks time!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

First of all, I'm not criticizing but Marjorie's hair caught me off guard too. It's such a drastic change for her to go short and dark all at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    When he said the same thing last night in Indy, he was speaking in terms of harmonies as opposed to genres like Country Rock or California Rock. Of course there were a lot of bands that sang with harmonies, but in the documentary, Glenn was pretty emphatic that the Beach Boys were a huge inspiration to him to sing in 'harmony bands' (or words to that effect). Given that, it's no wonder he felt the Beach Boys paved the way, so to speak.

If you relate it to American history, pioneers found and explored the new lands, then faded away. Settlers were the ones who tamed the land, forged a life from it, and put their mark forever on it. I've never really agreed with the word 'settler' when speaking of these people, but given what they did, I have to agree with Glenn. The Eagles may not have been the first ones there, but they're the ones who defined it and made it theirs.
    VA – I don’t disagree with the premise of your post. However, I do disagree with the way that Glenn compares the bands in live shows. When he says the Beach Boys were pioneers and the Eagles were just settlers, most folks don’t have the time to analyze the remark and it comes across badly, IMHO. Many times he gets booed – including by me. It’s not that he shouldn’t give credit to the Beach Boys for being pioneers, but, the Eagles were more than just settlers, they were pioneers too. There’s nothing wrong with being a settler, but, as you pointed out, it doesn’t have the same positive connotation as pioneer does for most folks. So, to me, he should credit the Beach Boys without appearing to undermine the Eagles. So while I appreciate the sentiment, to me, his delivery sucks.

Perhaps the reason I don’t like the remark is because he previously made similar comments in his solo shows. I can’t remember his exact words, but the first few times he said something to the effect that the Beach Boys were the best harmonizing band ever. Those comments got lots of people booing and saying ‘nooooo’ – some even yelled out things like ‘Eagles Eagles – have you ever heard of a band called the Eagles’. Anyhow – it’s just my opinion and I’ll get off of my soapbox now.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Eh, I honestly don't think it's that big of a deal. I did disagree with his comments at solo shows that they were BETTER, but I have no problem with this "pioneers" bit. They were first, after all.

Anyway, from his perspective, they inspired him not only in his arrangement of HT but in the way he styled his own band. If people are booing his statement of what has inspired him, that's their right, but personally I think we shouldn't boo someone for giving their honest opinion which also happens to be very modest and sweet! Boo people for saying something tacky or mean-spirited, if you must, but not for something like that. If it's some kind of attempt to communicate to Glenn that you think he and the Eagles are just as awesome as the Beach Boys, well, I doubt he needs that ego reassurance, especially at the expense of a group he really respects.

JMHO.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

I didn't think much about the comment either, except that Glenn is obviously a big fan and I'm not. Lol! Never cared for the Beach Boys besides Kokomo. But the comment obviously struck a chord with Dreamer and some others. I actually spent the first part of Heartache Tonight trying to see how he got the vibe of the harmonies from Barbara Ann.

The thing for me about the Eagle's harmonies is that they are the tightest I've ever heard. Some great harmonic bands like CSN and Poco just can't compare, as much as I like them. They don't all stop and start their words together, and that is so important when you're harmonizing with others. You've got to give props to Glenn for that.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    I didn't think much about the comment either, except that Glenn is obviously a big fan and I'm not. Lol! Never cared for the Beach Boys besides Kokomo. But the comment obviously struck a chord with Dreamer and some others. I actually spent the first part of Heartache Tonight trying to see how he got the vibe of the harmonies from Barbara Ann.

The thing for me about the Eagle's harmonies is that they are the tightest I've ever heard. Some great harmonic bands like CSN and Poco just can't compare, as much as I like them. They don't all stop and start their words together, and that is so important when you're harmonizing with others. You've got to give props to Glenn for that.
    Not to mention their voices are pure MAGIC together. Beautifully written, beautifully arranged, perfectly executed, no one can emulate those particular voices blending together. Regardless of how much the Beach Boys inspired Glenn with harmonies, if the original band hadn't sounded so good together, they'd have taken a different direction with the vocals. Even Glyn Johns in the documentary admitted it was the sound of their voices together that made him change his mind and take them on.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.