Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Default Re: Bridgestone Arena, Nashville, TN - 10/16/2013

Yeah. Isn't it amazing that they haven't heard about it before? I mean, we all knew before the tour began but now, how many dates have they played and they're still surprised!

SS
    xx
    http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013...called-it.html

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yeah - it is rather shocking that Bernie is considered a surprise guest, especially in Nashville - you'd think they would be in the know.

But, overall, it is a pretty good review. And like the writer, I have to also respectfully disagree with Glenn's remarks about the Beach Boys being pioneers and the Eagles just being settlers. I know he's trying to be self-deprecating, but I wish he would drop the line. Many people, including myself, boo in disagreement everytime he says it cause it just ain't so, IMHO.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Yeah - it is rather shocking that Bernie is considered a surprise guest, especially in Nashville - you'd think they would be in the know.

But, overall, it is a pretty good review. And like the writer, I have to also respectfully disagree with Glenn's remarks about the Beach Boys being pioneers and the Eagles just being settlers. I know he's trying to be self-deprecating, but I wish he would drop the line. Many people, including myself, boo in disagreement everytime he says it cause it just ain't so, IMHO.
    He said that in Australia. He meant the Beach Boys paved the way for the Eagles & other California rock bands as opposed to country rock bands. I have no problem with that because in my opinion it is the truth. It is not 'just' being settlers (even if he used the word 'just'). The Eagles built strong foundations on the path the Beach Boys had laid down, and pioneered country rock, although some would argue the Byrds were the real pioneers here. I honestly don't think saying the Beach Boys were first is being self-deprecating.
    Last edited by Freypower; 10-18-2013 at 06:29 PM.

WW

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wiy4AyEmxM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCMZnBNYaEKM2XHgoSvRt9A[/ame]

TIE

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_XMQRQ-zGE&feature=c4-overview&list=UUCMZnBNYaEKM2XHgoSvRt9A[/ame]

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He said that in Australia. He meant the Beach Boys paved the way for the Eagles & other California rock bands as opposed to country rock bands. I have no problem with that because in my opinion it is the truth. It is not 'just' being settlers (even if he used the word 'just'). The Eagles built strong foundations on the path the Beach Boys had laid down, and pioneered country rock, although some would argue the Byrds were the real pioneers here. I honestly don't think saying the Beach Boys were first is being self-deprecating.
    FP, thanks for the explanation, but I think I understand what Glenn meant … I just don’t happen to agree with it. However, I’m not sure I understand your post – it sounds like you believe an artist can’t have multiple influences and can’t be a pioneer in their own right if they were influenced by another ground-breaking artist, which I can’t agree with. In the case of the Eagles, they were influenced by many artists including Elvis, The Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Byrds, all of who were pioneers in various ways. Even though the Eagles may not have been the first to perform the genre, I happen to believe that they were pioneers in popularizing and perfecting the country rock sound in much the same way that the Beach Boys were pioneers of California surf music.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    FP, thanks for the explanation, but I think I understand what Glenn meant … I just don’t happen to agree with it. However, I’m not sure I understand your post – it sounds like you believe an artist can’t have multiple influences and can’t be a pioneer in their own right if they were influenced by another ground-breaking artist, which I can’t agree with. In the case of the Eagles, they were influenced by many artists including Elvis, The Beatles, the Beach Boys, and the Byrds, all of who were pioneers in various ways. Even though the Eagles may not have been the first to perform the genre, I happen to believe that they were pioneers in popularizing and perfecting the country rock sound in much the same way that the Beach Boys were pioneers of California surf music.
    We are not in disagreement. I said 'they (Eagles) pioneered country rock although some would argue the Byrds were the real pioneers here'. That has to do with country rock & sort of got buried in the rest of the post. I believe that Glenn's main point about the Beach Boys was that they were the pioneers of California rock generally.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    We are not in disagreement. I said 'they (Eagles) pioneered country rock although some would argue the Byrds were the real pioneers here'. That has to do with country rock & sort of got buried in the rest of the post. I believe that Glenn's main point about the Beach Boys was that they were the pioneers of California rock generally.
    When he said the same thing last night in Indy, he was speaking in terms of harmonies as opposed to genres like Country Rock or California Rock. Of course there were a lot of bands that sang with harmonies, but in the documentary, Glenn was pretty emphatic that the Beach Boys were a huge inspiration to him to sing in 'harmony bands' (or words to that effect). Given that, it's no wonder he felt the Beach Boys paved the way, so to speak.

If you relate it to American history, pioneers found and explored the new lands, then faded away. Settlers were the ones who tamed the land, forged a life from it, and put their mark forever on it. I've never really agreed with the word 'settler' when speaking of these people, but given what they did, I have to agree with Glenn. The Eagles may not have been the first ones there, but they're the ones who defined it and made it theirs.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

There are some more pictures from Nashville.

http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/sfCP4.../browse?Page=1

Those are great!!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

great pictures thanks for sharing