Page 161 of 302 FirstFirst ... 61111151157158159160161162163164165171211261 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 3014

Thread: What's Happening In Your Life?

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: What's Happening In Your Life?

I forgot to mention that at lunch yesterday, a friend and I were eating healthy at Hardees (OK, well, maybe not healthy), and when it was time to leave, a woman who looked very down on her luck asked us if we would give her and her daughter a ride to a church that was a couple miles away. Her daughter seemed to have Downs Syndrome and other problems as well. Neither Amanda nor I knew what to say. I think I actually stuttered that I don't allow strangers in a vehicle with me, and she looked flustered at that. I explained that I was raised to be careful. The entire time, I was trying to determine what the right thing to do was. So, I ended up saying it was OK, and we all got in my truck. Along the way, she mentioned she was going to the church because it was the Food Bank day, every Tuesday and Thursday, so I'm glad we offered the ride.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Very good VA about the car.

I totally agree you can never be too safe. And as stereotypical as this may come across, I'd have been doubly nervous or suspicious if it was a guy and especially one that looked rough or low-class. I try not to be stereotypical but I also know that a lot of muggings, carjackings, and murders happen and a lot of times it's those people that are involved.

I'm super paranoid about people's intentions. I have severe anxiety in social settings anyway, anytime someone comes up to us asking for money on the street I automatically assume they are going to shoot me. This year I went to check out a record shop in a big town but away from the main business district. This guy followed us from our vehicle to the store but we made it inside before he could catch us, so he caught us on the way back asking for money. I was freaking out, but it seemed like a fairly innocent homeless person.

I never allow my family to use rest stops - ever.... I don't care if your bladder is about ready to rupture... Either use a gas station in a big town where there is lots of people around or just hold it or pee your pants.

Same with nighttime concerts in big cities and making the way back to the hotel. I have a taxi called before the last number of the night is finished! I tell them I'll be right out in a bit and try to give them the right time frame. I don't want to sit outside or god forbid, have to walk around looking for a taxi. I don't care if there is others watching or with us, I don't take any chances - not even in Peoria or Springfield, let alone Chicago or St. Louis.

Better be safe than dead! I realize that's exaggerating but it's the way I feel. I find it's better to make strangers earn your trust from the start than to give it and take it away later.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, I know you did a good deed, but please be careful. I'm pretty leary about strangers too.

Austin, I'm sorry you have to have hip replacement at such a young age, but if that will help, I guess that's what's best! Good luck! I have some hip pain myself and have only been to the doctor once about it. It was an inflammation, but if I over do the walking it comes back...doesn't seem to be the joint itself. All I know is, it's painful!

And Austin, how does it work to call a taxi for after a concert? I've thought of that, but there are so many people looking for one, do they wait for you only? And how do you find the one you called?
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    And Austin, how does it work to call a taxi for after a concert? I've thought of that, but there are so many people looking for one, do they wait for you only? And how do you find the one you called?
    Luckily I haven't had any issues with people nabbing our taxi ride. I tell them my first name and usually they wait for you. I try to time it right so that the cab pulls up right around the time we are walking out the door. If you just call in or wait for one, it's first come first serve. I find in a lot of the bigger cities like Chicago they will actually ask you your name saying "Are you Austin" before we get in, as if they are waiting for us, which is nice. That happened in Nashville last month.

Very nice VA somtimes gut instinct rules out!

Just livin in the HOT and I mean HOT summer days. I was suppose to attend the Paul Mccartney concert on the 5th and couldn't go because it was outside and they wanted people there 3 hours before he played. It was 99 here that day and I cannot go out in the heat, bummed me out but I'll live. My daughter went and said he was very gracious and sounded the same as all of his older stuff.

Austin good luck with your hip. I've had those shots in my shoulder and they did help for awhile.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Packing up and getting ready for my trip to San Antonio. I'm looking forward to the trip, it'll be nice to get out of the office again. The job with the company that is taking over that I mentioned before will not be forthcoming. The govt rep who said he'd recommend me tells me he did and they just aren't comfortable with hiring a manager from their competitor. However, two different people have heard from two different sources that he never recommended me. I can't be too upset about it because I didn't plan on taking the job unless it was all that stood between me and starvation, and these types of petty games tells me it's not a job I need. It just bothers me that I counted this guy as a friend and yet he looks me right in the eyes and lies to me.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    My day started by texting my friend and boss that I would be late getting to the customer office because I had to meet an employee at the company office and collect their laptop and office key. The reply? She would forward my text to someone else because her mother died unexpectedly over the weekend. She had bronchitis and just came from the doctor's, laid down for a nap and never woke up. My boss was en route home after two weeks in Europe on business. She's understandably upset and as she said, a walking zombie. A group of us will make the trip to Lexington tomorrow evening for the visitation.

Then there was the employee who was to have their last day today. Never arrived. When questioned about the company laptop the response was that it had been stolen. Uh-huh. This person doesn't have a personal laptop, only a MacBook, and I know they wanted a PC-based laptop. This person is a subcontractor, and in talking with the people at the company a lot of discrepancies were coming up. So now I have to deal with how to handle this stolen laptop, and a bunch of other drama. On top of worry how my other employees will fare in the job market.
    Prayers go out to your boss. I am so sorry to hear of losing her mother.

I hope you can recover the laptop and hopefully have as little drama involved as possible.

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

I realize I have been MIA on here for some time. I have been away due to some very busy last few months. Work mostly kicked in a few notches of crazy busy (insurance just seems like we're constantly on a rolling ball, trying to stay balanced between accounts). Plus our office moved to a brand new office on the same block that we were on. Prior to this, we were leasing the most expensive office in the city I work in. The views were pretty outstanding. The location was slightly better than what we have now. But, the price was just too much to stay. So, six months of tearing apart half of the 4th floor of where we currently reside and rebuilding from the floor to ceiling, we have a beautiful new office. It's taken some time to adjust to a few tweaks, but for the most part, the move went very smooth.

Also, my mother had to move out of the place she was sharing with a boyfriend (now an ex-boyfriend, lol) Luckily she did get equity out of this, being a co-owner. However, being that the house sold very quickly, she had to be out really fast. My mother needed some help and I had to take 3 days off work to help her get rid of things - to either give to Good Will or throw out. It was difficult throwing out/giving away certain items. I had to give up my old bedroom set that I've had since I was 4 years old. Many of my old Barbie toys, etc. I kept my Barbie clothes though and a couple Barbies I liked most. It was a bit emotional. My aunt came and helped us, which was a God send, as I was falling apart physically, as so was my mother. My back hasn't quite been the same. It feels like a nerve issue in my back, like a snake is crawling up and down my spine. Freaky! I guess too much lifting. Now, all my mom's stuff is in storage and she is out at my Grandma's helping take care of her.

Whew, and now my brother's baby is on it's way in a month or so.

However, in between all of that, I did get to go see Barry Gibb and Steely Dan in concert

I hope all of you have been well - just thought I'd give a little update

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

BR, good to hear from you! Sounds like you've been busy! Hope your back feels better soon too!

VA, have fun in San Antonio! I've only been there once, but loved it! And sorry to hear about your 'friend'.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten