Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Don Solo Album

I don't like Garden of allah at all either. Usually I find at least SOMETHING to like about one of Don's songs........but not that one.

hehe, agree.
    "You haven't lived till you've stood in the refrigerated section, staring at the frozen peas, listening to the Muzak version of Desperado coming over. That's when you know you've made it. "

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    1. Building the Perfect Beast
    2. I Can't Stand Still
    3. The End of the Innocence
    4. Inside Job

I've had BTPB for ages and like pretty much every song on it, with the exception of the title track. His other efforts are more uneven, but they each have very strong songs on them.
    Now that I have some more time, I'm going to extend on mine.

1. As I mentioned before, I think BTPB has the largest percentage of strong songs. When I burned myself a "best of Don Henley" CD a few years ago, this album got the most of its songs on there. Not Enough Love in the World and Boys of Summer are two of my all-time favorites.

2. I Can't Stand Still - I love the ballads - when Don gets soft and sentimental without sounding sappy. Songs like Talking to the Moon, Long Way Home, Lilah... gorgeous and moving.

3. The End of the Innocence - so many magnificent songs on here, some of my favorites of Don - The Heart of the Matter, the title track, Last Worthless Evening. It's just that it also houses my LEAST favorites, and those detract from the album overall, so it gets knocked down to three.

4. Inside Job - this also has lovely songs on it, but none of them are as memorable as what you get on the other three, so it gets last place.

The thing is, none of these are bad. It's all relative. I'd put Inside Job against the best of a lot of other groups and singers. He's that good.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

What You think of the song The End Of The Innocence? It`s my favorite song
    Remember when the days were long ...

MARCO

Stuck on the Border

I love the song The End of the Innocence but I have always thought that it is one of Don's more 'American' songs - and yet I feel that way about A Month Of Sundays, which I adore. I think the Bruce Hornsby piano is sometimes a bit repetitive and I am never entirely sure about the attack on Reagan as opposed to the 'personal' stuff - it seems a sometimes uneasy melding of two separate songs.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

You know, I never listen to these albums! I keep Actual Miles in my car cd changer. It never leaves unless I have to take it to the one in the house! It has all the songs I want to hear! (Plus, like you dreamer, it has You Don't Know Me At All and Everybody Knows!)

So, I have gotten them out and been listening. Forgot about some of those songs! Some of them were very forgettable! It's really hard to rate them. In terms of how many songs that I like on each album it's very close. Each one has 5 or 6 songs that are good. So here goes my popularity contest:

1. BTPB-I would have thought that EOTI would have been #1 for me, but this one has more favorites on it: Boys of Summer, one of his best...EVER! I also really like You're Not Drinking Enough, Not Enough Love In The World, All She Wants to do is Dance, Sunset Grill, and A Month of Sundays. (Sunset Grill is not aging well for me though!)

2. EOTI-I think the title track is just beautiful. Heart of the Matter is also gorgeous. Other faves here are I Will Not Go Quietly, Last Worthless Evening, New York Minute.

3. ICSS-This one only has 4 faves on it, but they are big ones! Dirty Laundry is another of Don's best. It totally ROCKS! I also really like Talking to the Moon, Lilah, and The Unclouded Day. There's one song on there that I'm like...what was that?!

4. IJ-My favorite song on this album is Miss Ghost. It's just so cool! And sexy! I also like Taking You Home, Annabel, For My Wedding, My Thanksgiving and They're Not Here, They're Not Coming (which I think is a hoot!) But none of them rate anywhere close to some of the above. imo!

There ya go! Whew, that was hard!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

My turn! I had to wait until I had time to really answer this properly.
    Don's body of work is so impressive, it is difficult to dissect his albums in this fashion (and I am admittedly a bit prejudiced ) but I will give it my best shot.

1. End of the Innocence comes first with me. Heart of the Matter really is a masterpiece, and I feel the same way about the title track. I also absolutely adore New York Minute--it is moody and atmospheric and just gorgeous. Last Worthless Evening perfectly captures the mood of the singles scene, and Gimme What You Got is such an apt reflection of our materialistic society. I Will Not Go Quietly is the most straight-on rocker Don has ever written--plus, okay, it is just HOT -- How Bad Do You Want it rocks, too.

2. Inside Job is next for me. Surprise! Since I "re-discovered" Don & the Eagles at a later point in my life, I relate to so many of the songs on this album. It is a personal journey for Don and I love it. For My Wedding is such an honest look at getting married (I know he didn't write it, but he sings it so beautifully); the love of his children reflected in Taking You Home and and the touching lullaby Annabel; the importance of saving the environment in Goodbye to a River; and Miss Ghost and The Genie--okay, they are HOT too ; and I just adore My Thanksgiving--it is probably my favorite song on the album.

3. & 4. Building the Perfect Beast and I Can't Stand Still are tied here--because they contain all his well-loved and well-played radio hits that I also love: BOS, ASWTDID, Sunset Grill, Not Enough Love in the World and Dirty Laundry. I Can't Stand Still may just edge out BTPB, however, because of the absolutely gorgeous Talking To the Moon and Lilah.

One extra note: You Don't Know Me At All on Actual Miles is a great song--it is quintessential Don.

I'm a Johnny-come-lately when it comes to his first and last CD's. I just got them in the mail yesterday and have been listening to them. I was going to post something about them, but I found this thread so I'll add my two cents here. I liked I Can't Stand Still immediately, but found Inside Job hard to get into. However, today's a new day and it's growing on me. So here's my list from most favorite to least:

1) Building the Perfect Beast: 4 words - THE BOYS OF SUMMER! This is my all time favorite Henley song. Like many others, I'm sure, this song just transports me back to high school and the days when MTV actually played videos. What a concept! There's not a song on this CD that I don't like, but my other faves are Sunset Grill, All She Wants to Do is Dance, Not Enough Love in the World (with some of my favorite lyrics: "You don't have to prove nothing to nobody, just take good care of yourself."), and A Month of Sundays.

2) End of the Innocence: Of course, I love End of the Innocence, Heart of the Matter, and New York Minute, but my favorite from this CD has always been and will always be Last Worthless Evening. It just turns me into a puddle of mush everytime I hear it. I've always thought it's one of his sexiest songs. The other songs are fine, but none are real standouts, except maybe I Will Not Go Quietly for the "pull you, pull you, pull you, pull you right up close to me" lyrics - woo-doggie!

3) I Can't Stand Still - Wow! This was a nice surprise last night. Because it was his first solo venture, I wasn't expecting much (except for Dirty Laundry, of course). I saw him perform Talking to the Moon and Lilah on the Inside Job DVD and kind of liked them, but I like those two even more after listening to the CD last night. I have to say, though, it was Nobody's Business that really got to me. Just from listening to the first few notes made me think, "How Bob Seger-esque" and then I looked at the liner notes and saw that he had co-written the song with Don and J.D. I absolutely love this song and was pretty much singing it all day at work today. I really like everything on this CD, so actually it's close to moving into the #2 spot. We'll see after a few more listens.

4) Inside Job - Well, it's growing on me. Last night, I wasn't too keen on some of the songs. The ones that I really do like are Taking You Home, Everything is Different Now (although the video is really, really creepy), Workin' It, My Thanksgiving and Annabel (I just had to let out a sigh at the end of this one). My favorite, though, is They're Not Here, They're Not Coming. It's kind of a goofy song, but I can't help but sing along (...cold, cold, cold, cold, etc. etc.)
    I'm having a hard time warming up to Goodbye to a River, Damn It, Rose, and Miss Ghost.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Good analysis, Katherine.
    Hopefully Inside Job will continue to grow on you. I like They're Not Here, They're Not Coming too. It is a funny, catchy song and he gets tickled singing it on the Inside Job Live DVD.
    (And you're right--the video for Everything Is Different Now is awful. I really like the song, but the video is so off base, it makes you wonder, "What WAS he thinking?")

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    1) Building the Perfect Beast: 4 words - THE BOYS OF SUMMER! This is my all time favorite Henley song. Like many others, I'm sure, this song just transports me back to high school and the days when MTV actually played videos. What a concept! There's not a song on this CD that I don't like, but my other faves are Sunset Grill, All She Wants to Do is Dance, Not Enough Love in the World (with some of my favorite lyrics: "You don't have to prove nothing to nobody, just take good care of yourself."), and A Month of Sundays.
    Oh, i know! Great song after great song.

2) End of the Innocence: Of course, I love End of the Innocence, Heart of the Matter, and New York Minute, but my favorite from this CD has always been and will always be Last Worthless Evening. It just turns me into a puddle of mush everytime I hear it. I've always thought it's one of his sexiest songs. The other songs are fine, but none are real standouts, except maybe I Will Not Go Quietly for the "pull you, pull you, pull you, pull you right up close to me" lyrics - woo-doggie!
    Good choices again. LWE has so much heart - what woman wouldn't want to hear that coming from a guy?

3) I Can't Stand Still - Wow! This was a nice surprise last night. Because it was his first solo venture, I wasn't expecting much (except for Dirty Laundry, of course). I saw him perform Talking to the Moon and Lilah on the Inside Job DVD and kind of liked them, but I like those two even more after listening to the CD last night. I have to say, though, it was Nobody's Business that really got to me. Just from listening to the first few notes made me think, "How Bob Seger-esque" and then I looked at the liner notes and saw that he had co-written the song with Don and J.D. I absolutely love this song and was pretty much singing it all day at work today. I really like everything on this CD, so actually it's close to moving into the #2 spot. We'll see after a few more listens.
    The ballads from this CD are what kill me. Talking to the Moon.... incredible.

Inside Job is OK... but yeah, not his best.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten