Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite Don Solo Album

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

I mentioned this earlier in my original post, and Soda and I have also discussed this before. Again, IMHO, the problem with BTPB is that it is very uneven to me. It has the incomparable BOS, as well as other gems that you all mentioned like ASWTDID and Sunset Grill. However, I think it also has a few of Don's weakest solo songs on it such as the title track, Man With a Mission, and Land of the Living. I feel the same way about ICSS. Katherine, I still struggle to like a lot of the songs on Inside Job, too. Overall, the album is just too slow for my taste. However, my solution to that is to listen to EOTI instead. I think that is one incredible album - I just love it.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Stuck on the Border

That was funny how Katherine is having trouble with Goodbye To A River, Miss Ghost & Damn It, Rose from IJ. Those are easily my three favourite tracks on that album. Overall, I am actually starting to really like IJ, but the songs I still struggle with are the 'personal' ones.

I agree with Dreamer about BTPB being uneven as well as some of it sounding very dated with all the synthesisers.

I find Miss Ghost to be unbelievably sexy!

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    That was funny how Katherine is having trouble with Goodbye To A River, Miss Ghost & Damn It, Rose from IJ. Those are easily my three favourite tracks on that album.
    Freypower, I read your original post before adding my comments and thought the same thing - how funny it is that two people can have such different opinions about the same songs. When I read your comments, I thought, "What is it that I'm missing with those songs?" I've listened a few more times, but I still haven't quite gotten to the point where I can say I like them. I'm just indifferent to them right now. Of course, I guess I don't have to love everything that he puts out, but I sure want to try. I do have to say, though, that overall, I'm enjoying Inside Job more than I did a couple of days ago.
    "You don't have to prove nothin' to nobody, just take good care of yourself."

Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    You and me both!

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    Quote Originally Posted by SodaScouts
    You and me both!
    Me three! It's my fave song on the album easily!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by katherine5832
    Quote Originally Posted by Freypower
    That was funny how Katherine is having trouble with Goodbye To A River, Miss Ghost & Damn It, Rose from IJ. Those are easily my three favourite tracks on that album.
    Freypower, I read your original post before adding my comments and thought the same thing - how funny it is that two people can have such different opinions about the same songs. When I read your comments, I thought, "What is it that I'm missing with those songs?" I've listened a few more times, but I still haven't quite gotten to the point where I can say I like them. I'm just indifferent to them right now. Of course, I guess I don't have to love everything that he puts out, but I sure want to try. I do have to say, though, that overall, I'm enjoying Inside Job more than I did a couple of days ago.
    Now this is interesting. Why do I like these songs? I'm not that good at talking about Don's songs really. But I'll try.

GTAR - gorgeous, haunting melody and thought provoking lyrics. Listen to the way he sings 'what will I tell this child of mine'. He's put all his deeply felt enviornmental concerns into this beautiful, passionate song.

Miss Ghost - as others have said, it's sexy! The story is spun out and told in a very enticing way with Don's inimitable mix of cynicism and nostalgia for something that's gone.

Damn It, Rose - for me to say a song is worthy of Bob Dylan is high praise indeed, but this one is, particularly the verses about the 'puffed up little fart' and his 'hollow rebellion'. Of course what Rose has done sounds pretty hollow too. It's just rueful and heartfelt.

Well, that was something of a departure for me!