Thread: Verizon Center, Washington DC 7/22/13

Default Re: Verizon Center, Washington DC 7/22/13

I think somebody's .
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

OK-- well I'm glad to know that I wasn't the only one to think that that comment was a little unfair. I personally don't see how them traveling from Austria is any different from someone traveling from Australia, the UK, etc...

Do I think some here go to, as Troub put it above, the "extreme"? In my book, yeah but why should I care? And I'm not going to judge anybody who is willing and can do it. That's their business, and their business only. I only know I wouldn't do it. But I'm not going to be snarky about someone else who does do it. I say GO FOR IT if you want to and you can!! And more power to anyone who does. I think it's great when our guys acknowledge it and I love hearing about it when they do. I just hope no one is reading more into any of the attention they may get from the boys then what it really is--- a bit of recognition and "thanks for showing up at our shows".

Just my opinion tho.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers
    but now I have to wonder what others must think of me, and if they think I'm trying to prove a point.
    Well now that you mentioned it......
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

I completely agree Willie! If you can and that's what you want to do-go for it!

It's a personal choice for everyone.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

[QUOTE=TimothyBFan;241460I think it's great when our guys acknowledge it and I love hearing about it when they do. I just hope no one is reading more into any of the attention they may get from the boys then what it really is--- a bit of recognition and "thanks for showing up at our shows". [/QUOTE]

TBF! I guess the point I'm trying to make is summarized by saying I just love this band, and yes, what you wrote above is a very good point. The attention is great and I won't say it makes it worthwhile, because the music alone is what makes it worthwhile. They seem to like seeing repeat fans and do give a bit of recognition in appreciation and thanks, and that is very definitely all it is. In reverse, I am quite happy that the looks of fan adoration I'm sure they see on my face is never construed as me expecting more, either. Gives me the freedom to really enjoy myself.

I do want to mention that the ladies from Austria were far from obnoxious and rude. They were very nice and friendly and were the best kind of fans...total opposite from the guy behind me and in front of Joe who shouted Joe's name every chance he got.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Thanks VA for the review. Sounds like a great show!

I think it's nice that the guys acknowledge repeat fans who are in the front rows. It takes a lot of effort and $ to be there, and it's nice that they recognize it.

Sounds like those Austrian girls have a passion and the resources to follow it. Seems like a lot of harmless fun to me! More power to them

I agree. More power to those women. I am happy for them. How cool for them, and how cool of Glenn.

When VA texted me about two women from Austria in front of her, I immediately thought of the women from Niagara Falls whom Glenn included in the third-row dedication. I sat next to them as they sang along with me to "Some Kind of Blue" and I knew I was next to fellow hardcores.

I am not going to quote FP's post again because it makes me cringe. However, I feel I must address it.

FP, I am stunned that you would criticize them considering the lengths you have gone to in order to see Glenn perform. Plus, if it weren't for financial constraints and other prohibitive obligations, don't pretend you wouldn't be doing the same thing. I'm not being critical; if I had had the money and time, I would also be doing it! I desperately wanted to go to Australia to see Glenn, but it wasn't logistically feasible. Otherwise, I would have been there. Would you have found fault with that? I expect this kind of behavior to be criticized by people outside the fandom or who aren't as intensely into it, but by you??

What did they do that some of us haven't done? Yes, they have traveled far and spent a lot of money to see multiple shows. So have several of us, including myself AND you. Why shouldn't they get recognized?

Thanks to them, you were able to hear the first public performance of "The Girl from Yesterday" since the first leg of the HFO tour. Obviously Glenn finds nothing wrong with their behavior; quite the contrary - to have a song played just for them that Glenn hasn't played in almost 20 years (and has never played solo) is an extraordinary honor and a HUGE deal. He must appreciate them very much.

Finally, it astonishes me that you would make a point of declaring your experience to be "more meaningful." This is not a contest and frankly it comes off as quite egotistical. Your experience was indeed special, but that doesn't give you the right to crap on other people's moments or put yourself above them.

Consider this: What would Glenn think if he saw you using the kindness he showed you to diminish the kindness he shows other people?

I am sorry if I sound harsh. I don't mean to hurt your feelings. I just want to show you that your comments were a mistake.

Always in our hearts, Never forgotten

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    They looked familiar so I know they've been to at least one other show I've been at, but I have to say I wonder about your remark. All they did that I saw was sit in the front row, dead center, which is something I myself do quite frequently. Considering the cost of front row, I suppose that could be considered 'great lengths', but now I have to wonder what others must think of me, and if they think I'm trying to prove a point.

I'm really sorry that you felt that you have to justify yourself in this regard, VA. You don't. How you or I or anyone else on this board (or off) chooses to spend their hard-earned money and their downtime is nobody's business but our own. Whether we choose to sit in the first, second or last row is up to us. Whether we choose to go to one or 21 shows is up to us. I've been to enough shows with you to know that your love of the music and of the band is why you choose to be there. You are not there to get fan-whore recognition.

I'm disappointed that a member of this Eagles-loving community has made you wonder, for even one single second, that ANY of us judge you or think you are trying to get noticed or prove a point. Remember that, you little fan-whore, when we are in the front row in Seattle in six short weeks!
    Last edited by Henley Honey; 07-27-2013 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Remember that, you little fan-whore, when were are in the front row in Seattle in six short weeks!
    Oh, how I wish I could join you! You are going to have an amazing time!

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

I think I want to be a fan-whore!

Maybe this should be in the confession thread...
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Ah, now the real Cathy is beginning to emerge.

I was also thinking that some fan-whore recognition doesn't sound too bad...

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--