Default Re: Every picture tells a story

Quote Originally Posted by Koala View Post
    Austin, I really like your photo!
    Thanks!
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Austin, can we have a little more info on your photo - I know I'm supposed to recognise them from your previous posts, but... um... I can't (obviously I look at all the wrong stuff in the pictures you post!). Which guitars are these?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

I like to call these the three main food groups of electric guitar. The "Trio" if you will. Be ready for a long post because I know my guitar history and LOOOOVE sharing it with people - even if they don't care to know what colors were available on 1960 Fender Strats for instance! Heheheheh.

The one on the far left is a Fender Telecaster (aka Tele). Made popular by a lot of the country-western cats in the 50s. Very bright and twangy. It was the first produced "solid body" (not hollow) electric guitar. It was released in 1950 as the Fender Esquire, but it only had one pickup (the silver tube looking thing close to the guitar neck wasn't there). Later that year Leo Fender (inventor of Fender guitars and amplifiers) released the Fender Broadcaster, which added the silver neck pickup. But it was only around for a little while. In 1951 Fender got a cease and desist from the Gretsch company, they had a drum set with the same name. So for a while the headstock on the guitar simply said "Fender". They just clipped off the Broadcaster part while trying to come up with a named. These guitars are referred to as "Nocasters" by collectors and appraisers. Very rare instruments. In late 1951 Fender came up with the Telecaster name but it was virtually the same guitar as the Broadcaster and the Nocaster. These guitars have been played by everyone from James Burton to Keith Richards to Brad Paisley. Used predominately in country although very good rock guitars as well.

The one in the middle is a Fender Stratocaster (aka Strat). Made popular by a lot of blues and rock artists in the late 50s and 60s. Very quacky/nasally sounding. It was released in 1954 by the same company who made the Telecaster. The Stratocaster was the response to people's complaints about the design of the Telecaster. Leo Fender thought the Telecaster would become obsolete but the Telecaster's simplicity and versatility has proven him wrong. This guitar had three pickups (pickups are what transfer the sound from the guitar to the cable then to the amplifier). It also added a tremolo system (commonly called a "whammy bar"). The name of the guitar has remained the same since it's introduction unlike the Telecaster. The Stratocaster with a 5 way switch is very versatile and can get out of phase quacky sounds or nasally sounds. These guitars have been played by everyone from Jimi Hendrix to Stevie Ray Vaughan to Eric Clapton. Predominately used in blues or lighter forms of rock. Also can be used for country.

The one on the right is a Gibson Les Paul (aka LP). Made popular by a lot of Classic Rock guitarists from the 60s and 70s. Very thick, warm, and bold sounding. It was released in 1952 after Les Paul (a jazz guitarist) invented the model. This was Gibson's response to the Fender Telecaster. Originally came with two P-90 single coil pickups and in a Gold or Black finish. In 1958 the guitars started coming in a Sunburst finish and with Humbucking (feedback cancelling) pickups and became the most desired and famous Les Paul model. The '59 Gibson Les Paul Standard is the holy grail of collectible vintage guitars. They go for half of a million dollars or more for a NON-celebrity owned Les Paul. Prices have yet to reach a million dollars but is expected to first on a Celebrity-owned instrument. These guitars have been played by everyone from Jimmy Page to Joe Walsh to Slash. Predominately used in classic and hard rock. Probably the most famous guitar for 1970s "Classic Rock" music. It has also been used in blues, jazz, and heavy metal.

My favorite guitar of all time is the Gibson Les Paul. 2nd place goes to the Fender Telecaster. IMO Leo Fender and Les Paul got it right the first time and the first solidbody guitar designs are the best. I have nothing against Stratocasters or SGs (a Gibson model that later replaced Les Paul models during the mid 60s) and own both but I really prefer Les Pauls and Telecasters. With those two guitars you can cover all bases and play any kind of music out there.

Now, to tie this into the Eagles - Joe Walsh is a BIG user of ALL three guitars. He has used Les Pauls, particularly on tracks like "Rocky Mountain Way" or "Life's Been Good". He has used Telecasters, particularly on tracks like "Funk #49" or "Hotel California". And he has used Stratocasters, particularly on tracks like "Life In The Fast Lane". Don Felder is a BIG user of Gibson Les Pauls. Don used a Les Paul most on the time on everything from "Hotel California" to "One Of These Nights". He used a Fender Stratocaster though on "Victim Of Love" and "New Kid In Town". He used a Fender Telecaster only on one song to my knowledge, "Lyin' Eyes". Bernie Leadon used only Fender Telecasters to my knowledge on everything from "Take It Easy" to "Peaceful Easy Feeling". He did use a Gibson Les Paul on "Witchy Woman" but that was it. No Fender Stratocasters for him.

Confused?
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Not yet

The info on what guitar was used on which track is great, thanks! And who likes to play what... (so what about Glenn?)

So going back to your picture, I presume these are of some of your own "girls"... does that mean Rebecca's on the right & Ruby in the middle?
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post
    Not yet

The info on what guitar was used on which track is great, thanks! And who likes to play what... (so what about Glenn?)

So going back to your picture, I presume these are of some of your own "girls"... does that mean Rebecca's on the right & Ruby in the middle?
    Rebecca isn't in that shot, but it is indeed Ruby on the far right. She's the same "kind" as Ruby.

As far as Glenn's guitars he mainly uses Gibson Les Pauls, both his Standard Sunburst and the black Les Paul Jr. I've never seen him with a Fender Strat although he does play a Fender Tele on a few tunes to my knowledge.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by WalshFan88 View Post
    Rebecca isn't in that shot, but it is indeed Ruby on the far right. She's the same "kind" as Ruby.

As far as Glenn's guitars he mainly uses Gibson Les Pauls, both his Standard Sunburst and the black Les Paul Jr. I've never seen him with a Fender Strat although he does play a Fender Tele on a few tunes to my knowledge.

He plays Strat on Boys Of Summer:

I am sure that's a Strat but if it's a Tele I apologise.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    He plays Strat on Boys Of Summer:

I am sure that's a Strat but if it's a Tele I apologise.
    That is a Tele...... But he does play that Tele during that and The Long Run if I remember correctly.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger

Stuck on the Border

Sorry Austin! Now I may have to go through my entire Photobucket account searching for Glenn with a Strat. I am sure I'v got at least one....

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    Sorry Austin! Now I may have to go through my entire Photobucket account searching for Glenn with a Strat. I am sure I'v got at least one....
    FP, You can tell a Tele from a Strat by looking at the headstock if the body of the guitar isn't clearly visible such as in that photo you posted. A Tele has a much smaller circular knob at the end. A Strat has a much larger knob and a sharper hard angle before the knob. Hard to describe, but if you go back and look at some of the pics that Austin has posted, you will clearly see what I'm talking about.

MikeA