Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who was the most important member: Henley or Frey?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: Who was the most important member: Henley or Frey?

Not only Henley and Frey but frankly, I can't see the Eagles without ANY of the 7 current or former members. They've all contributed to what the Eagles are. I'm actually trying to figure out where a question like that even comes from. Like HD said--it's the kind of question that could be considered designed to p*ss people off.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by zeldabjr View Post
    I wouldn't go near that question with a ten foot pole...
    Reading the title almost gave me a panic attack. Simehiw wedge an issue with Don Felder in there, too, and this post would become the perfect storm of angry posts.

I really think you can't separate the two men when it comes to the Eagles' success. For all their differences, they truly compliment each other well, musically, and like the best duos, one heightens the other's strengths, and then also makes up for the other's weaknesses. Balance. You need them both for the band to succeeded and grow.

Plant or Page? Lennon or McCartney? Waters or Gilmour? They are impossible questions to answer because the answers don't exist. Any preference is purely personal and no reflection at all on their perceived importance. When they are together, magic happens - magic that, no matter how talented they are, neither person could create alone. That's what makes bands so special.

you better put it all behind you, baby, 'cause life goes on
    you keep carrying that anger, it'll eat you up inside--

OK Since everyone is dancing around the question, I'll answer it. Theres no reason to be afraid to answer the question.

First let it be clear. I don't have a favorite. Especially among these 2. I like them equally.

I'm gonna say that the Eagles without Glen Frey, wouldn't have acheived the success they acheived even more so than Henley. Its not because of voice or song writing but more because of what apparently seems to be Frey's gigantic ambition at the time. Even though Henley was just as ambitious, IT SEEMS that the go getter, leader, was Frey. I think Frey fed Henleys ambition. Had they never met, I could see Henley just sitting behind a drum set for the rest of his career. Notice that even in the Eagles first album, Henley was getting only 1 track (eventually 2). Henley as the main man only came later.

So again, this is all Guess-o-matic...but my guess is Eagles without Henley would have been a mid-level success...but not the huge band it became. And Eagles without Frey, may have never even taken off....remember, Frey's look/personality was an early motivator for the record company to sign them.

One thing is for sure though. The combination of both of them (and the others also) made for the perfect storm of super stardom.

See there, that wasn't so painful was it?

Good! You answered your own question! Next thread!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Good! You answered your own question! Next thread!

I have my opinion but no way am I going to put it out there like that.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

Stuck on the Border

I am not going to answer it either. I just don't need this stuff.

Awesome! A FORUM where debating is not wanted.

fo·rum

/ˈfôrəm/
    Noun
    A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Oh, we debate lots of things, both serious and trivial (who can forget the boxers vs. briefs thread?). It's just that most of us think neither is more important than the other, and to be honest I feel we'd be doing the other five members (present and former) a disservice by debating just Henley/Frey. I'm a big believer in Ecclesiastes 3, which most are more familiar as the song sung by The Byrds Turn! Turn! Turn! (to Everything There Is a Season). The original four came together and made magic together and it wouldn't have happened without any of them. Yes, Glenn and Don are the two original members, but no one goes to hear Glenn and Don. They go to hear the Eagles.

It is right up there with the chicken and egg thing I mentioned earlier and creating a nonsensical argument between Henley and Frey fans would be a good way for a fan forum to lose members, because it can be taken too far and spill over into other threads. Just look at how much venom has been spewed across multiple threads over the Henley/Frey vs. Felder issue.

Glenn and Don have a huge amount of respect for each other. As fans, we respect that.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border Witchy Woman's Avatar

I enjoy a good debate, but I do not enjoy a contentious one, which this surely would turn into at some point. It is a great question, however. Just not one where others opinions wouldn't be ripped apart if it wasn't the favored member.