I love that "No Christmas cards". Seems that Glenn has always been good at coming up with hilarious little phrases. That sounded perfectly understandable to me. It didn't say that the musical ambition wasn't there; just that no one would have any delusions about them being there for the friendship. It's great when that is settled from the very beginning, so that there will be no "where did the friendship go" later on.
I found that interesting especially because in his book Don F kind of grieves about the lack of friendship in the band. But now it looks like it was perfectly clear from the very beginning.
People who work well together don't have to be friends. Often there's this illusion among rock fans that people in a band are best friends, and when they find they are not together when they're not working, they think those people are "not talking".
And finally, I'm sure almost every musician would like to become rich and famous. It's just that most of them won't admit it and keep repeating this "for me it's only about the music" mantra with a humble expression on their faces. Which reminds me of my favourite Freudian slip. Don Felder: "For me it's all about the money...the music".