Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Default Re: What do you do for a living?

Quote Originally Posted by MaryCalifornia View Post
    I am a lawyer. My last job was as in-house lawyer for the athletic department at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. Our football team opened last season against Notre Dame in Dublin, Ireland, and I got to go on the team charter. I sat in a 50-yard-line suite with Larry Mullin Jr., the drummer from U2. That was the highight of my career (and my life, except for getting married and having kids haha).

My husband just retired from the Marines after 20 years and we have moved to San Diego - I am from SoCal and my family is here. I don't have a job yet, but I will let you know what I end up doing! I need to get some $$ coming ASAP for the LA tickets.

Did someone say NOTRE DAME? I might have mentioned this before but did you all know they finished the regular season last year at #1? We aren't going to talk about the bowl game or the T'eo controversy after that.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Stuck on the Border MaryCalifornia's Avatar

After Navy's performance against ND in Ireland, and the fake girlfriend extravaganza, Mantii and I both fled to San Diego!! I will let you know if I see him around, haha.

Love your avi!!!

I'm a psychologist. Having lived and studied in the U.S. for some time, I came back to Poland and got my postgraduate degree at the School of Translation, Interpreting and Languages. Started my professional career as a translator. I work mainly for publishing houses in PL, focusing on academic books in psychology and sociology. I am also a foreign rights manager in one of Polish publishing houses.
    Last edited by irga; 03-17-2014 at 03:54 AM.

"I gotta get up, get out, get on that road and go one more mile "

I am a 35 yrs plus Financial Advisor, currently unemployed due to the economy. I actually am enjoying being home for the last 5 months it's been a nice break. Oh and fulltime Mommy and wifey... I would really like to try working in a radio station, I think it would be a blast.

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

I've worked in retail for about 25 years as a manager in varying levels at a couple of specialty places, Pier 1 Imports and DSW currently. I just fell into it as I graduated from college with an Economics degree just as the market had it's first real nose dive. Fifteen or so years later I went to grad school for an education masters, which I ended up getting, but was so turned off by my "thesis" class professor and her fabulous horror stories from life as an Asst Principal in a Brooklyn high school, that I knew I wasn't going to work in a school. I'll probably do some level of tutoring beside the volunteer stuff I do, but I bow my head and wish all the best to everyone who works in a classroom and thank you for what you do.

I am a fourth grade teacher. I've only been in education for about 7 years. Before that I was a stay at home mom, until my divorce. Then I found myself working and putting myself through college and raising my 3 awesome kids. I am getting ready to go back and get my master's in Education with an emphasis on elementary math.

Quote Originally Posted by cricrichan View Post
    I've read with great interest all of your posts in this thread, it's awesome to see how many different jobs are done by the Borderers

I've been working in a museum for 4 years and I like my job. I think to be a people person, I like so much dealing with people and talking to visitors! I'm also going to do (always at the museum) some didactic works with children of primary school.

Unfortunately this job gives me a very few hours of work and my salary is not very good ... so I have to do some extra jobs to increase the money - for example I do cats/dogs sitting or private tutoring for students ... not so much additional money, but it's okay^^ I think to be very lucky because I know that there are many people who unfortunately don't have a job at all ...
    Yep those jobless people would be me....And my unemployment runs out soon.....

So Put Me On A Highway And Show Me A Sign
    And Take It To The Limit One More Time..............

I'm sorry to hear that DJ, I'm looking for work as well but I'm also supported as a student and I have savings, I'd like a job anyway

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

I've work for a commercial insurance brokerage for 2 years. I've been in the industry for 6 years. Prior to that, I had a short period of working in the medical field/studying nursing. However, did not get into nursing school (lottery system; not based on good grades). So, reevaluated things. Prior to nursing, worked in advertising for 6 years. And, prior to that, worked as a remodeling contractor's assistant, assisting my future boyfriend on jobs. I still help him from time to time

Border Desperado Brooklyn Roads's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    Yep those jobless people would be me....And my unemployment runs out soon.....
    Back when the economy really was tanking, I was able to find a job still!! I couldn't believe it. I posted my resume on Craigslist (without my personal info - never give that out until you've verified a legit contact). And, got several job offers - a few not quite in my field and a few that were.

Also, to bring in money, I found a happy medium of working part time, while finishing school and also working as a photographer and also part time assisting an older couple cleaning house, cooking, etc.

It's really weird looking back on it now, how I juggled all of it, but it brought in some extra money. I felt like I had to sort of reinvent myself and my way of thinking. Job searching and becoming desperate for anything will do that to someone, but it worked and now I have a job that is everything I could ask for - so, all in all, this thing we call an endless job search, does have a silver lining

There are a few books that can help: What Color Is Your Parachute? Check that one out

I wish you luck, as I know it can be daunting & scary out there!