Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Default Re: What do you do for a living?

I import and distribute a synthetic bone-graft product that is used in spine and orthopedic surgery.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    VA, your job gives me a headache!
    Me, too! I should add, apparently I do training as well, it's what I got sent to San Antonio at the last minute to do.

All of you that deal with the public all the time, how do you do it?? I'd go crazy!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    I import and distribute a synthetic bone-graft product that is used in spine and orthopedic surgery.
    Do you go to hospitals and sell the product?
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Grey Sadler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    All of you that deal with the public all the time, how do you do it?? I'd go crazy!
    Blasting our favorite band helps bunches...and lots of chocolate.

Me, too! I should add, apparently I do training as well, it's what I got sent to San Antonio at the last minute to do.

That's the part I like best about my job. Of course, once in awhile you get somebody who's in a bad mood or just plain mean, but most people are good and kind. I believe that every encounter with somebody is a spiritual teaching or learning experience, even if it's only one minute with a customer. When you think of it that way, every day is an adventure.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border Outlawman13's Avatar

LOL I don't really like dealing with the public, but it's part of my job. LOL. I go mental on most parts, but I'm good at not showing it. LOL. I've been working with the public for 6 1/2 years on one job, and now just 7 months on this job. I like my co-workers though. They keep me on my toes. LOL.

You came along and changed my life Glenn!!

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Prettymaid View Post
    Do you go to hospitals and sell the product?

No, PM. I have Sub-Distributors and Independent Sales Reps that sell inside hospitals.

My career has taken a few turns along the way, but I always manged to find work that was fun & creative or at least that was what I thought!

I'll start with my first job after college as an Art major, I got a job in the Adverting department of a large department store, where my title was "Advertising Coordinator" I worked on getting the clothes together for the photo shoots of ads & catalogs & doing the art buying...which meant dealing with the artists & photographers. I later took a job at a Photography studio where I worked as a stylist & catalog coordinator. I earned extra bucks as a hand & shoe model, which I did during my time at the studio. I worked with few photographers & this was not easy dealing with the weirdo personalities of some of these people.I was also hired by one of the photographers as his personal shopper. Yes, he gave me a bunch of money & told me to go buy all his clothes because he didn't have the time or energy to do it himself!!! At the studio, I styled models, worked on set designs & was sent out on various strange assignments to find things for a shoot., then I supervised the shoot, & worked on the finished photos.

I later moved more into the printing end of catalogs & I worked for about 7 years at a Color Separator, doing Production & Quality Control. This was an Italian company & they sent me to Italy several times. This was a fun gig, & I had a lot of perks here. It was high pressure, as they had high end demanding clients, such as Bloomingdales & Saks Fifth Avenue, but it was interesting work. I then went to work at a few Ad Agencies & then I moved into doing Publishing Children's books, which I also did for several years.

When I bought my 2nd apartment, I thought my Real Estate Agent didn't do hardly anything, & at the closing, I had to write him a big fat check....So I was thinking. I can do this..This is easy. ...Well I went & took Real Estate Classes & soon found out that it was not as easy as it looks, & in NY it is very hard core & cut throat., which didn't really suit me. I did ok, but it was hard work & I was a bit frustrated. I lasted about 6 years selling real estate, but the market collapsed & things got very tough. I decided to go back into publishing, but now the entire industry had changed. Print media jobs are few & hard to get & I was several years out of the loop. My connections had dried up, so I had to do temp Jobs, & whatever I could get for a few years.

Luckily, I have a friend who hooked me up with my current job, which is at a CPA firm, where I am doing Admin & learning all about TAXES! I have no head for this, but I have dappled in the Stock Market over the years, so I am learning a lot every day! The office is rather conservative, but everyone has been really nice to me. I have no intention to go for a CPA, but I don't mind doing the office work, even though it can be a little boring sometimes. Looking for work when you are over 50 is very difficult, nobody wants you. I feel lucky to have landed this job, so I'm learning all about finance & International taxes...

My job is very rewarding most days. Somedays it tears your heart out.

We had a student who for the first month was a royal pain, then he settled down got some credits caught up and had a credit or two ahead. Ended his "drug class" last week and we had just given him a 1/2 day schedule as a reward for doing well and getting caught up on his classes/credits on Wed. On Thursday he came to class totally blazed AND had stuff on him to keep him high during the day. Sigh...needless t osay, he is gone

Stuck on the Border Tiffanny Twisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Sadler View Post
    Blasting our favorite band helps bunches...and lots of chocolate.
    Wow I couldnt have said it better my self. got a brand spanking new computer yesterday and the tech guy saw all my eagles pictrues and put a great shot on my sreen saver and down loaded bunches more in my library for me .....