Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Default Re: What do you do for a living?

I work at a school also but in Admin/student support. Nice to find this board for the Eagles...love 'em and have sure learned a lot about them since signing up a couple of weeks ago!

Welcome, Dyan61. Nice to have another Kiwi here!

I'm a Tenders Administrator, writing proposals and tender responses for new/existing customers. As part of my job I need to work with our sales people, pricing team and people throughout the business to ensure the information we provide is accurate, customised and of course sells our offer. It's like herding cats!

I don't have any particular interest in career advancement at this time either, although I'm quite some way off retiring! I'd really like to cut back to part time...

In my earlier years I worked in the hotel industry, which to be honest was far more interesting, particularly when we had major events on in Auckland. The Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting was held here one year - we had then-President Nelson Mandela stay in our hotel along with John Major and 8 other heads of state (including the Aussie Prime Minister, but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who it was at the time!), and the APEC conference was held in Auckland a few years after that.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesKiwi View Post

I'm a Tenders Administrator, writing proposals and tender responses for new/existing customers. As part of my job I need to work with our sales people, pricing team and people throughout the business to ensure the information we provide is accurate, customised and of course sells our offer. It's like herding cats!

I don't have any particular interest in career advancement at this time either, although I'm quite some way off retiring! I'd really like to cut back to part time...

In my earlier years I worked in the hotel industry, which to be honest was far more interesting, particularly when we had major events on in Auckland. The Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting was held here one year - we had then-President Nelson Mandela stay in our hotel along with John Major and 8 other heads of state (including the Aussie Prime Minister, but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who it was at the time!), and the APEC conference was held in Auckland a few years after that.
    I'd be able to tell you the Australiam PM if you could specify which year it was. During Major's era it would have been Bob Hawke or Paul Keating or John Howard if it was 1996 - 1997.

Hi to you too!
    I only got drunk once...it lasted twenty years
    Joe Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post
    I'd be able to tell you the Australiam PM if you could specify which year it was. During Major's era it would have been Bob Hawke or Paul Keating or John Howard if it was 1996 - 1997.
    November 1995...? Now that you've mentioned Paul Keating that rings a bell - although at the time all the focus was around South Africa (who had just returned to the Commonwealth and were attending their first CHOGM for a while) that everyone else was kind of overlooked. Security was a big issue too (oh and President Mandela's bodyguards didn't want their delegation to walk through the metal detectors in the hotel lobby.
    ---------------------------------
    Suzanne

Border Desperado AstraeaLunaAvani's Avatar

I work as a prep cook in the kitchen of a lodge where the oil workers stay, in Williston, North Dakota...some of you might have heard of the oil boom here, people are coming from all over the country to work here because there are more jobs than there are people to do them. It's the best job I've ever had! We work 12 hours a day for 6 weeks straight, then we go home for 2 weeks.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Thanks to all you teachers. I could never be one. I'd kill those kids in no time, I'm afraid. You couldn't pay me enough to be one!

VA, your job gives me a headache!

I'm the office manager for our rural water district. We have about 2000 active customers. There is the general manager (general do nothing!), service man, receptionist and me here. I've been here over 22 years now and they'll have to fire me to get rid of me! My office is 2 miles from my home, I have great benefits and work M-F, 8-4. It was wonderful when my kids were here in school and just so handy. I can take off pretty much whenever I want within reason. Since there are really only two of us that do office work it's very hard to take much time off during the first 12 days of the month because one person just can't handle it all. I do payroll, take minutes at our monthly board meetings, accounts receivable and payable besides general office duties. We also have to deal with the public, which can be very frustrating ("there is NO WAY I used that much water"), but the good outweighs the bad most of the time.
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

I'm medically disabled, but I do repair computers for people out of my home. I don't do onsite stuff really, I either work on them remotely over the internet, or they bring them to me and I fix them. Lots of virus removal, tuneups, etc.
    -Austin-
    Resident Guitar Slinger
    Fan of the Eagles from 1972-2016 #NOGLENNNOEAGLES

RIP Glenn Frey and Randy Meisner

"So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains and we never even know we have the key..."

This is really interesting! I'm glad I asked!
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Stuck on the Border

November 1995...? Now that you've mentioned Paul Keating that rings a bell - although at the time all the focus was around South Africa (who had just returned to the Commonwealth and were attending their first CHOGM for a while) that everyone else was kind of overlooked. Security was a big issue too (oh and President Mandela's bodyguards didn't want their delegation to walk through the metal detectors in the hotel lobby.
    Yes, that was my hero, Paul, only about six months before he lost the 1996 election.