Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Border Rebel

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by chaim View Post
    EDIT:

The "bipolar" thing wasn't that nice either. http://www.realrocknews.com/former-e...-tv-interview/
    But I've said all I've got to say about these ancient interviews years ago, so I won't discuss them again. Just threw an example here I managed to find. A lot of the interviews seem to have disappeared. I agree with UndertheWire in that Don has changed his conduct in interviews and it's a good thing.
    The biploar thing wasn't that nice, but may not have been far off the mark. I noticed that in his statement on Glenn's death, Henley buried the word "mercurial" among the complimentary adjectives. I don't think he meant to be insulting to Glenn, but rather to paint a realistic portrait of Glenn's personality, instead of stooping to the view that once someone has passed, the memories of them are perfect. The word does confirm, though, that Frey's moods were up and down.

Still, Felder could have used a less insulting word, as Henley chose to do. I don't think I've commented on this thread before, but I have commented on other threads that while Henley is my favorite Eagle, I love all the Eagles in varying degrees. The suggestion somewhere in this thread that if you're a Frey or Henley fan, you're necessarily biased toward hating Felder, bothers me. I'm sure there's some truth in Felder's book. I have no idea, and I probably will never know, how much truth. I do find his tone whiny at some points, and also feel that he takes backhanded swipes at people, including even Joe, sometimes. Even given all that, though, I would probably go to see him if he was appearing near me and the price was right. I have every respect for his awesome guitar work. He also has a nice voice, although nowhere near in the league of Don Henley's, and I'm glad the Eagles stuck to their guns on the lead vocal of VOL. I love the song and don't think the versions I've heard on YouTube with Felder's lead vocals even come close to Henley's.
    Last edited by maryc2130; 05-03-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Stuck on the Border

I think the objection to "bipolar" is that Felder is not qualified to make such an assessment and that he demonstrates this by his misuse of the term. I agree that quite a few people have spoken about Glenn having both good and bad sides but that's nothing like bipolar disorder. It's insulting to those who suffer from that condition to have Felder misuse it.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by UndertheWire View Post
    I think the objection to "bipolar" is that Felder is not qualified to make such an assessment and that he demonstrates this by his misuse of the term. I agree that quite a few people have spoken about Glenn having both good and bad sides but that's nothing like bipolar disorder. It's insulting to those who suffer from that condition to have Felder misuse it.
    Also, my point was that he has changed the way he speaks in interviews. He wouldn't use that word today when asked about Glenn. Anyway, when people are asked to describe their bandmates/ex-bandmates with one word, usually they say something complimentary or neutral.

Border Rebel

I agree. There is a big difference between calling someone mercurial and bipolar, in that bipolar is a professional diagnosis. My degree is in psychology, and even if I thought someone exhibited symptoms of bipolar disorder, I would never call them that, especially not to the press. It was a low blow from Felder, and I'm glad he seems to have lightened things up in interviews since then.

Ugh. I really don't want to get mired in this but I do feel compelled to comment.

Quote Originally Posted by maryc2130 View Post
    The biploar thing wasn't that nice, but may not have been far off the mark. I noticed that in his statement on Glenn's death, Henley buried the word "mercurial" among the complimentary adjectives. I don't think he meant to be insulting to Glenn, but rather to paint a realistic portrait of Glenn's personality, instead of stooping to the view that once someone has passed, the memories of them are perfect. The word does confirm, though, that Frey's moods were up and down.
    I agree that the "bipolar" comment wasn't nice. Obviously, Don F wasn't using the term in a clinical sense, so being "qualified" to use it doesn't come into play. Just like when some people use the term "retarded" to mock or insult someone who doesn't really suffer from mental retardation. However, I do agree with maryc2130 that Don's intent may not have been to insult Glenn; he was simply alluding to the different sides of Glenn's personality. Unlike we board members, Don worked closely with Glenn for years. I'm pretty sure Jackson Browne also used the term "mercurial" to describe Glenn (in the documentary, I think). Even Glenn himself told Joe, "Sometimes I get crazy and I'm sorry." I would add that the interview Chaim linked to was almost 10 years ago, and mentioned that Felder had plenty of praise for Glenn and Don H; it wasn't just some bash fest.

Keep in mind we are talking about a review in an obscure blog discussing an interview from a local Boston TV show, which I'm guessing none of us saw and can adequately judge context, mannerisms, inflection, etc. Contrast that with a televised documentary on a premium cable station as well as a national news station that garnered millions of views and plenty of buzz and publicity, plus untold sales of the DVD, where Glenn calls Felder an "asshole." That wasn't nice either. I respect and admire both of these guys a lot but neither one was a saint.
    Last edited by Delilah; 05-03-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Clarification

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I didn't link to the interview - it was new to me.

I'll also note that there are several definitions of "mecurial" and not all have negative connotations. I'm inclined to believe that Jackson meant "animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted" rather than "changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature" given that he was referring to Glenn's ability to come up with the right words to finish the song.

Anyway, it's good that Don is talking in a more positive way recently. Good for him and good for fans, too.

Oops, sorry, that was Chaim who posted the link. I made the correction.

Right or wrong, what’s done is done
    It’s only moments that you borrow...

Stuck on the Border

I'll also note that there are several definitions of "mecurial" and not all have negative connotations. I'm inclined to believe that Jackson meant "animated; lively; sprightly; quick-witted" rather than "changeable; volatile; fickle; flighty; erratic: a mercurial nature" given that he was referring to Glenn's ability to come up with the right words to finish the song.

Anyway, it's good that Don is talking in a more positive way recently. Good for him and good for fans, too.
    This is the first time I have seen the word mercurial described as negative. Of the second set of words used here I wouldn't have used 'fickle' or 'erratic' about Glenn and still less 'flighty' which is normally used to describe airheaded women. I also don't see changeable & volatile as negative. He was able to adapt to changing circumstances. However mercurial is a far better choice of word than 'bipolar'.

Border Rebel

In my experience, it is most often used in a negative way. Maybe it's different in different countries, but from what I've heard in the US, it's not often used to mean whimsical.

The first definition that comes up when I google the word:

mer·cu·ri·alˌ
    adjective

1. (of a person) subject to sudden or unpredictable changes of mood or mind.
    "his mercurial temperament"
    synonyms: volatile, capricious, temperamental, excitable, fickle, changeable, unpredictable, variable, protean, mutable, erratic, quicksilver, inconstant, inconsistent, unstable, unsteady, fluctuating, ever-changing, moody, flighty, wayward, whimsical, impulsive"a mercurial temperament"

2. of or containing the element mercury.
    noun
    a drug or other compound containing mercury.

Another dictionary states: If you describe someone as mercurial, you mean that they frequently change their mind or mood without warning.

Stuck on the Border

MaryC2130 - I agree. I have never heard the word used in what could be called a "nice" way. I remember being kind of surprised when Don used that word in what was really a beautiful statement the day Glenn passed.

At the time of the KCH, Don gave an interview with the Washington Post. Jackson was also interviewed. Both stated they had been "estranged from Glenn for years." I remember being surprised they both said that. Especially since Don had just finished the two year HOTE Tour.
    In one of Tim's latest interviews he stated he preferred to remember Glenn's "Pooh Bear" side. I remember being shocked by both statements.

While Glenn is my favorite Eagle, I like all the Eagles and respect everything that all of them contributed to making the Eagles the greatest American Band.
    Last edited by New Kid In Town; 05-03-2017 at 09:03 PM.