Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

I grew up in the 70's. The Eagles were my favorite group from day one. I have seen all 7 of them in concert at some time. They are all wonderful musicians, singers and songwriters. And nothing will change that. When I hear Hotel California, the best part for me is when Joe and DonF start playing opposite of each other. I see Joe with his bandana, making faces and putting it all out there. I see DonF with his suspenders, concentrating and playing his music with pride. That's a vision that will never grow old.

I have seen the DOC about 10 times, I have read all the books, articles, online stuff and heard all the interviews. Does it change how I feel about there music, no. The music is still great and the words and songs all still have a lot of meaning to me today.

Do I feel that Glenn contributed heavily to the departures of Bernie, Randy and Don F. Absolutely. Did Don H have a hand in it. Absolutely.

So next week I will go to see them on November 20th in Tampa. I will love every moment of it but one. I do not like Glenn's version of TITTL.
    (This is my opinion, I am not trying to tell anyone else how to feel about it). To me this will always be Randy's song. I know everyone says that Glenn does a good job with it, that the audience loves it and that they dedicate the song to their good friend, Randy Meisner. When their good friend Randy Meisner needed a friend in 1977, they were no where to be found.

Again this is my opinion. Remember opinions are like butts (I cleaned that up) everyone has one.

As far as politics go, I do not discuss them with anyone, not even my family. Politics can become a very heated discussion very quickly. I will keep my views to myself.

Vector, I did not know you were on this board. Welcome back from the thrill.

And this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyBFan View Post
    First and foremost, welcome Vector!!!

When I pulled up the board a bit ago, the title of this thread popped out at me and so I clicked it first and might I say, I love how you expressed yourself very respectfully with your point of view.

That being said, there are certain things in your post I could not have said better. Count me as one of those long time fans that have become disillusioned by my favorite band also and, to a degree, I'm sorry I ever watched the documentary. There's something to be said about the old saying, "ignorance is bliss". I've said on this board several times that I own all the books about these guys, and even tho the books are in my possession, I've yet to read a one of them, mainly for fear of what I might read to make me think they are less than the rock n roll Gods I have built them up to be for the several decades I have loved them. Some will say that's my own fault because I have put them on those pedestals and they are human, just like everyone else, and entitled to mistakes, etc... I get that. But to be honest, my disillusionment started a few years back. The price of the tickets, the picture taking policies, the no standing at concerts, and the members of the band actually calling people out for it, sometimes in the middle of songs, all added up and just put me off to some degree. But nothing deterred me from still loving the music and the musicians. Afterall, they had been with me through most of my life and had actually gotten me through some very tough times of loss, etc...with their music. Then came the documentary....

I had looked forward to this documentary with as much anticipation as the next person. After watching it the first time, with everyone else the night it aired, I was left with a bittersweet taste in my mouth. LOVED all the behind the scenes stuff, loved the interviews with those who were there through it all and knew these guys, etc... but some of the stuff I saw just made me angry.

I've discussed, at great length with other fans and did my own research and found enough online and through the conversations to know, I'm not the only one that felt this way and saw things that really put them off with some of the members of the band. I learned shortly after I posted my first thoughts in the documentary thread, that I was better off just keeping my mouth shut on here because, as you put it, there were those that will defend them at all cost. I'm ok with that and so I just gave up trying to defend my opinion.

As for the political stuff, I really don't care which way they lean as long as they're not ramming it down my throat. I hate when I pay money for a concert ticket, and get the artist ranting and raving about their political views-- (That's you Ted Nugent!!! I will not easily forget the political rally I attended last summer when I thought it was suppose to be a concert).

Since watching the doc the first time, I've only watched bits and pieces of it since and haven't even pre-ordered it yet. I know I will purchase it, if for no other reason because I want the bonus dvd of the concert footage.

I will always love this band and they will always be my favorite band of all time. How could they not be, they've been that since I was 11 or 12 years old, so for decades now. But I guess that's also why I can say that I have the right to be somewhat disappointed in them and some of their behavior.

My mind is Tiffany twisted

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    Welcome back. I'm looking forward to your posts as your perspective on the band is always very thought-provoking and realistic.

Let's not forget snarky and inflammatory.

Quote Originally Posted by Henley Honey View Post
    Let's not forget snarky and inflammatory.
    That was not my opinion of his comments and I consider such remarks as unnecessary and very personal.

That said, my post is neither a complaint or a criticism. Merely MY opinion. Chill out.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border Henley Honey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pueblo47 View Post
    That was not my opinion of his comments and I consider such remarks as unnecessary and very personal.

That said, my post is neither a complaint or a criticism. Merely MY opinion. Chill out.

I'm extremely chilled. Just stating my opinion.
    It was not an attempt to put words in your mouth.
    You stated your opinion and I stated mine.

An opinion I agree with, Henley Honey. He just got proven wrong on the Bernie thing ~ thanks for the info, UndertheWire ~ how is getting your facts wrong realistic?

If you come to this board simply to hate on the band, what's the point? What's fun about that?

[Edited out the part that would tick off a lot of people ~ although I might post it again later ]
    Last edited by Houston Debutante; 11-12-2013 at 05:08 PM.
    ~Sara

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post
    An opinion I agree with, Henley Honey. He just got proven wrong on the Bernie thing ~ thanks for the info, UndertheWire ~ how is getting your facts wrong realistic?

If you come to this board simply to hate on the band, what's the point? What's fun about that?

[Edited out the part that would tick off a lot of people ~ although I might post it again later ]
    Please do post it again, and I totally agree. If I don't like a band I just move on!! Why waste my time trying to convince other people to hate it too? Doesn't make sense to me!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Debutante View Post

That's ok, I have your original post but it didn't tick me off. I just have a few more things to say.

Vector started this thread and for those of you who keep saying why come in here if you hate the band so much, etc., the title of this thread is Why I Am No Longer Happy With "MY FAVORITE BAND." He doesn't hate the Eagles, he has just been posting his opinions and impressions about Frey and Henley from the doc and the books he has read. There are a lot of members in here who agree with his opinions but are afraid to say anything because some of you get so upset that it turns into derogatory remarks designed to demean and insult the poster.

The mods keep insisting that everyone is free to post their opinions as long as it's kept friendly and mature but it does get out of hand sometimes. Several of us like to read Vector's posts as it's from a different viewpoint and brings into play some things that makes us think about it. Yes, he has made some errors with his facts, we all do that, and he accepts the corrections and moves on.

Without Frey, with the assistance of Henley, there wouldn't be a band called Eagles. Right or wrong in their handling of personnel, it still works and they are still on top. And there are many songs that I prefer to hear only Frey sing and the same for Henley, though the original four have always been my preference.

All I ask is that you let others offer their opinions without ganging up on us and getting upset about it. I have always enjoyed this board but all the one-sided fighting has kept a lot of us from coming here much anymore. That's all I have to say. Please don't take anything in this post as a personal criticism or complaint aimed at anyone in particular. It's not meant that way.
    So if you see me walking all alone, don't look back. I'm just on my way back home.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lizzyplays View Post
    And this is why I love you.
    Well thank you!!! I appreciate it. Right back at ya!

P47--- well said!! And I agree. Like I said in the post Liz quoted, I pretty much agree with Vector. They've always been my favorite band, I know no other way but I'm sorry I ever watched that d*mn doc. The things I saw put me off on several things. I'm ok with the people here who love Glenn & didn't/don't see anything wrong with the way he handles things so all I ask is that you respect my opinion also. I'm very thankful for Glenn & Don & I LOVE their music, band or solo but as people, not so much, I'm afraid.

Enough said.
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post

I have seen the DOC about 10 times, I have read all the books, articles, online stuff and heard all the interviews. Does it change how I feel about there music, no. The music is still great and the words and songs all still have a lot of meaning to me today.

Do I feel that Glenn contributed heavily to the departures of Bernie, Randy and Don F. Absolutely. Did Don H have a hand in it. Absolutely.

So next week I will go to see them on November 20th in Tampa. I will love every moment of it but one. I do not like Glenn's version of TITTL.
    (This is my opinion, I am not trying to tell anyone else how to feel about it).
    You lucky devil! You get to see them on Joe's birthday. I always wanted to go to a birthday show.

I have to agree with you on all of the above. The band's personal business has nothing to do with how much I like them or don't. I don't get overly involved with stuff like that. It's really none of our business. I feel the documentary is doing nothing but telling a story. Most stories have ups and downs. That is, if it's a good story.

Have fun at the show!

Wintertime is a razor blade that the devil made
    It's the price we pay for the summertime - J.W. '69