Page 16 of 31 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Stuck on the Border

Default Re: Why I no longer am happy with my favorite band

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Originally Posted by Henley Honey

quote from SpringBo

SB, I have to agree with you on this one. A band is not a business & nothing like running a "bakery"
    Frey & Henley admittedly took over the control as leaders of the band..I don't think there was any question of that...Nobody elected them the leaders, but that aside, how is Don Felder an "employee " behaving badly???? Wow, Felder was brought in as an equal partner & it was put into a binding contract, so he should have equal say in things, but that is not how Henley & Frey wanted it. I do not think that Frey is the driving force behind the band, & that musically it is Don Henley who is...But that's just my opinion. Was there a vision they had for the band in the 70's?? I'm not even so sure about that because things kept changing.

Many people have said that certain things were done "for the good of the band" Well, if things were so good, how did the whole thing fall into pieces & was in such a mess that the break up lasted for the time period of 14 years???Obviously, things weren't going so good.

Frankly, the band is making the money & having the success from their old songs from the 70's...that's the reality of it. The new music they put out for LROOE was moderately successful, but they no longer play anything from that album in concert...The success of HFO, was predominately the old songs as well. so they have become successful replaying their old music, like many other 70's bands out there...Frankly, I feel that much of the success of the band is due to the management by Irving Asoff. I think that without him, they wouldn't be where they are today...I think maybe even Henley & Frey would agree with that.
    I am afraid I will have to be fairly blunt here.

As usual, you slam Glenn Frey every chance you get. To say that only Henley is the 'driving force' musically & Frey is not is grossly unfair. If the songs Frey sang mean nothing to you, OK, but you don't speak for me & many other people on this board. As for their vision, they achieved it. They wanted to become thie biggest band in America. They did so.

LROOE sold over 5 million copies & they do in fact still play How Long from it (many of us wish they would play more) but to just dismiss it out of hand the way you do is again unfair. To use your logic they shouldn't even have bothered releasing it.

You have changed your tune about Irving. You used to say that he had nothing to do with their success. Now you say much of their success is due to him, because once again, you wish to slam Frey & to a lesser extent Henley as much as you can. Of course they wouldn't be where they are without him. They also wouldn't be where they are if they were not extremely talented singers, songwriters & musicians.

Yes, they broke up & that lasted 14 years, but since they reformed, they have been together ever since. As usual, however, all you ever want to talk about is negative stuff. The changes that were made were 'for the good of the band' at the time & they all contributed to the ongoing success. Unfortunately in 1980 there was one major factor that contributed to the breakup.

I don't know how often it has to be stated that although Felder was an equal partner at one time, once the reunion occurred, he was not. I am not going over the same old ground on this again.

Music is a business & to say it is not, is just fantasy.
    Last edited by Freypower; 06-17-2013 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freypower View Post

As usual, you slam Glenn Frey every chance you get. To say that only Henley is the 'driving force' musically & Frey is not is grossly unfair. If the songs Frey sang mean nothing to you, OK, but you don't speak for me & many other people on this board. As for their vision, they achieved it. They wanted to become thie biggest band in America. They did so.

LROOE sold over 5 million copies & they do in fact still play How Long from it (many of us wish they would play more) but to just dismiss it out of hand the way you do is again unfair. To use your logic they shouldn't even have bothered releasing it.

You have changed your tune about Irving. You used to say that he had nothing to do with their success. Now you say much of their success is due to him, because once again, you wish to slam Frey & to a lesser extent Henley as much as you can. Of course they wouldn't be where they are without him. They also wouldn't be where they are if they were not extremely talented singers, songwriters & musicians.

Yes, they broke up & that lasted 14 years, but since they reformed, they have been together ever since. As usual, however, all you ever want to talk about is negative stuff. The changes that were made were 'for the good of the band' at the time & they all contributed to the ongoing success. Unfortunately in 1980 there was one major factor that contributed to the breakup.

I don't know how often it has to be stated that although Felder was an equal partner at one time, once the reunion occurred, he was not. I am not going over the same old ground on this again.

FP, Can you show me where I said that Irving had nothing to do with the band's success? I don't believe I ever said anything like that, as I always thought he was a huge part of the bands success...My feeling that Henley was the driving force of the band ( and here I mean musically ) is not exactly slamming him...is it? .

Also, how is it that once the band reunited in 1994, did Felder's position change? They had contracts & they wanted to change his contract, but I believe that legally they didn't have the right to do that.....

I do not believe that a band is all business...I thought it was about the music, but I guess to some people it is just about money. Yes, many bands crashed & burned in the music business, but I do think that was due to poor management & some crooks in the business that robbed some bands blind....That was very unfortunate. I'm glad that the Eagles have survived & thrived, but I still don't believe that it's ALL business.

As for LROOE. I am one that does really like this album, but in the grand scheme of things, the album has been pretty much ignored once the LROOE tour ended with the exception of How Long, which to me is not even close to being the best song on the album.....I am hoping that the new tour will bring back some of the songs from this album, but I guess we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me if they still just do that one song off this album.
    I'm not going to get into talking about Glenn. I just think that he is given most of the credit for the bands success, and I really don't agree with that, but that is my opinion & I think I'm entitled to it.

AGREE

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

FP, I'm actually kind of shocked at your response. I'm not sure why you expect anything different here. The entire thread has about three positive things posted in it. Even the title is negative. So I'm not sure why you would come here looking for something positive. It gets to a point that when a topic or person or people dwell(s) on more negative than positive, it's really not worth the effort it takes to get upset about it or even try to set them straight. I learned the hard way. I for one do not trust people or entities who focus on the negative, focus on the things they're not rather than what they are, which is why I've posted little to no actual content here or other threads that focus on negative. I have enough to deal with in my life, I don't need negativity in a virtual setting, and I'm certainly not going to spin my wheels trying blast The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow to people who are convinced the silver lining in every cloud is actually a toxic substance.

As for the music vs. business, it comes down to this. If you pay taxes on what you call your passion, it's a business. If you don't, either it's a hobby or you're wanted for tax evasion. People who don't actually get that concept can't be leaders in a band that makes millions, and their opinions when it comes to the business side of things can't be trusted. It is about the music, but with income of that proportions comes responsibility and it's not fun and games. It's my opinion that anyone who wants to make their way in music, acting, painting, cooking, anything where an art is your living (or anything where you get a 1099 instead of a W2), you're doing yourself a disservice by not taking a business class or two.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    FP, I'm actually kind of shocked at your response. I'm not sure why you expect anything different here. The entire thread has about three positive things posted in it. Even the title is negative. So I'm not sure why you would come here looking for something positive. It gets to a point that when a topic or person or people dwell(s) on more negative than positive, it's really not worth the effort it takes to get upset about it or even try to set them straight. I learned the hard way. I for one do not trust people or entities who focus on the negative, focus on the things they're not rather than what they are, which is why I've posted little to no actual content here or other threads that focus on negative. I have enough to deal with in my life, I don't need negativity in a virtual setting, and I'm certainly not going to spin my wheels trying blast The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow to people who are convinced the silver lining in every cloud is actually a toxic substance.

As for the music vs. business, it comes down to this. If you pay taxes on what you call your passion, it's a business. If you don't, either it's a hobby or you're wanted for tax evasion. People who don't actually get that concept can't be leaders in a band that makes millions, and their opinions when it comes to the business side of things can't be trusted. It is about the music, but with income of that proportions comes responsibility and it's not fun and games. It's my opinion that anyone who wants to make their way in music, acting, painting, cooking, anything where an art is your living (or anything where you get a 1099 instead of a W2), you're doing yourself a disservice by not taking a business class or two.
    You are absolutely correct. It is just that occasionally, the constant negativity gets me down.

I've been extremely busy, and as a result have not had time to post as much as I'd like. However I will make a quick observation regarding so called negativity. Much of what is observation and disillusionment in this thread is considered negativity, just because some people here are fans and do not want their idols warts to be exposed.

To that end, any criticism of a particular member is met with fans who are such apologists, they cannot see beyond their own bias. For instance in another thread I mentioned how Felder was complimentary to Frey several times in his book, and a couple of posters said they could not remember anything but criticism. Needless to say they are incorrect, but from their biased lens, the positive was totally overshadowed by the negative.

Sure it is predominately a fan site, but that does not mean we must put them on a throne and defend the indefensible.
    Whether some of you believe it or not, I started out this journey without preconceived notions, other than Henley and Frey had trouble getting along, and that eventually led to the band breaking up. That was from the 1980's, and I never heard much since regarding the Eagles and their behind the curtain issues.

Since then, and in no small part due to the Doc, I learned a lot about the history/make up of the band members, and more than I ever wanted to. Some members were not the wonderful guys they wanted the public to believe they were, and in the Doc they come off poorly. Heck if it had not been for their own words and discussed actions, I'd probably have continued to live in ignorant bliss. But certain things did not add up, so I went on a quest that has had me read multiple books, listen to multiple interviews, and so on.
    Every time I think I have heard the worst about one member or the other, the next book is even more critical. The Eliot book which I finished recently is certainly not a puff piece on Henley. Instead it gives a yet unheard voice to the most inoffensive of the group, Meisner. It also shows a side of Henley that is very unflattering. Some is backed up by other sources, some things are discussed for the first time. Even if only 50% is accurate, it still is not a pretty picture.

Anyway, I've already taken more time than I have tonight, but lets keep things in perspective when it comes to calling opinion of unflattering behavior nothing more than negativity. I still have one more book to read before I get my PhD as an Eagles expert, but I doubt it is going to dramatically contradict what most of the other sources have said. Then again I might be in for a surprise or two.
    `

`

Border Desperado

Gee... How much I missed I can see (long time out of the Boder, dut to work).

What I can say as a starter, from the E´s History DVD, and looking at Vector words, is:

I always tought Randy was a cool and calm member of the Band, but we saw no, he had his own Demons those Days... and...

I think that's it. Very cool unrelaesed stuff, but no surprises. Thanks God.
    Be part of something good,
    Leave something good behind.

Quote Originally Posted by thelongrun View Post
    Gee... How much I missed I can see (long time out of the Boder, dut to work).

What I can say as a starter, from the E´s History DVD, and looking at Vector words, is:

I always tought Randy was a cool and calm member of the Band, but we saw no, he had his own Demons those Days... and...

I think that's it. Very cool unrelaesed stuff, but no surprises. Thanks God.
    He did have his own personal troubles, but he seemed the least offensive toward his fellow band mates(not including Schmit to come later).

You read about most of them having physical issues at one time or another, but when Meisner had them, it was magnified by Frey and Henley.
    You also read about how he resented being scolded by Henley for doing the Chuck Berry walk with Walsh. He essentially was thinking, "who is Henley to tell me what to do since I am an original and equal member of the band and am just entertaining the fans and having some fun with Walsh".
    He was soon to find out what L-eadon saw, and Felder and Walsh were to learn, that Frey and Henley decided among themselves that they were above everyone else in the band, and it would be their way or the highway.

`

Out on the Border

I'm new here, so forgive me for re-igniting this long and passion filled thread!

This is my take:

I learned to play guitar to their first two records, and loved all they did through One of These Nights and Hotel.

I stopped listening to their stuff around Hotel California and yawned when they re-united. I was burnt out on the music, and grew to dis like the public displays of arrogance and ego from Fry and Henley. (as well as Henley coming to my home state of MA and telling us what to do with Walden Woods.) I also didn't want to put money in their pockets.

In the last month, the doc and the re-mastered box set of their albums has me listening and loving the music again. Their music is simply some of the best in my life.

However, after reading Eliot's book, and watching the doc, I don't respect Henley and Fry for any more than their music.

RE Felder:

I dont see him as a victim, as he's led a very nice life.

I do think he may have failed in that he didn't form and keep a close relationship with Fry and/or Henley and had no leverage within the band.

Remember, Fry originally liked him so much that he came in as a full partner. What happened? You can't rule out that for some reason, he became unlikable to his partners.

Also, I ask myself why an incredibly talented and famous guitarist like Felder hasn't teamed up with another "A" list band/songwriter?

Last, Meisner was probably the most underrated musician in the band. Grab a bass and try to cop his lines in any of his Eagles songs

Border Desperado SoaringRockyMountainWay's Avatar

I don't know that much about politics or what the Eagles did in the 70s because I'm only 15. I discovered the Eagles from the documentary and now I think they're the best band ever! I think they write amazing songs and all the band members are so funny. I don't know what I'd do without the Eagles even though I've only known them for a few months. They help me through life. I'm listening to them right now!
    People talking about us they got nothing else to do. When it all comes down we will still come through in the long run.