Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Don & Reba

I actually hadnever heard of Reba before I read about one of Don's projects. He named a couple of singers who would performe, and Reba was one of them. (among others, nora jones. like her too) But that when I started too 'youtube' around on reba, and I think she's a great singer. So I loved the cd. good job.
    "You haven't lived till you've stood in the refrigerated section, staring at the frozen peas, listening to the Muzak version of Desperado coming over. That's when you know you've made it. "

I don't usually have the TV on during the day because I work at home and it gets too distracting, but I made it a point to watch Oprah yesterday because Reba was on her show. I hoped she might talk about Don when she was talking about making her album, but that was not to be—they only wanted to focus on the younger singers who sang with her. Reba sang with both Justin Timberlake and Kelly Clarkson on the show, and while they were both great, I was disappointed. Oprah and Reba are both my age—early 50s—and are looking great, and they frequently talk about not letting yourself be limited by your age. So why couldn’t they have had an older singer from the Duets album with Reba--if not Don, then Vince Gill or Carol King--along with the hip young singers?

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Quote Originally Posted by DonFan
    I don't usually have the TV on during the day because I work at home and it gets too distracting, but I made it a point to watch Oprah yesterday because Reba was on her show. I hoped she might talk about Don when she was talking about making her album, but that was not to be—they only wanted to focus on the younger singers who sang with her. Reba sang with both Justin Timberlake and Kelly Clarkson on the show, and while they were both great, I was disappointed. Oprah and Reba are both my age—early 50s—and are looking great, and they frequently talk about not letting yourself be limited by your age. So why couldn’t they have had an older singer from the Duets album with Reba--if not Don, then Vince Gill or Carol King--along with the hip young singers?
    Exactly! I saw the show, too, DF, and was keeping my fingers crossed to at least hear a mention about Don. But no!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Reba has a "web exclusive" extra from her interview with Country Weekly. She mentioned Don twice - I'll quote the parts here

(the link if you want it http://www.countryweekly.com/reba_mcentire/feature/1297 )

"CW: I know that, unlike the typical way of recording these days where all of the music tracks are done first, then people sing their parts later, you had all the musicians in the studio when you and your duet partners were there … everybody there together. Did that lend itself to any cool moments?

RM: The one thing I think you’re asking about is … that some of the artists we worked with weren’t used to having all the band in there at the same time. And that’s the way I like to record. I don’t like to record tracks. Because, when I get in there … maybe I have an idea … or it could even be as major as changing the key … take it up a little higher or maybe a little lower … or slower or faster. And when you’re in there with the musicians, you feed off of each other and the enthusiasm and the emotion of it. So it was kinda cool. Kelly [Clarkson] said, “Man, you guys all play in here together when you’re doin’ a record? That’s pretty cool.” And Don Henley was the same way … he said, “Y’all gotta give me some time here! I’m not used to this!” So it was fun. "

and then

"CW: You and Don Henley both have instantly recognizable voices. People hear you and don’t think, ”Oh, I wonder who that is.” That’s gotta be a huge advantage for an artist trying to get attention with thousands of other artists out there.

RM: Well, thank you. I’ve always been a huge fan of his singing and his writing. But I think you’re right … it’s very important for a person, not only to be a good singer, but a stylist. Because if you’re a good singer and you just blend in like everybody else, it is hard to pick ‘em out when you hear ‘em. Jennifer Nettles is a perfect example. You definitely know who she is when she comes on the radio. Same way with Don Henley. His talent … to be in a group like the Eagles and then have a solo career … his writing … I’ve just always been mystified at how he writes such wonderful songs. I’m just in awe of that. So I was really pleased when he said yes to bein’ on this project. "

(I really liked the second part. It was cool that she is like us in being so impressed and mystified at his wonderful songs! )

Great find, Maleah.
    I know exactly how Reba feels!

Cool find Maleah!
    How can love survive in such a graceless age?