Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast

Thread: Eagles HOTE Tour Discussion (2013 - 2015)

Default Re: Eagles HOTE Tour Discussion (2013 - ?)

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    IMO, the recorded version back in 1973 sounds like filler. The new, live version sounds like the best of two worlds.
    I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

Border Desperado The Thrill Is Never Gone's Avatar

I look forward to hearing it tomorrow night. Love Doolin' Dalton/Desperado.

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Thrill Is Never Gone View Post
    I look forward to hearing it tomorrow night. Love Doolin' Dalton/Desperado.
    Definitely let us know what you think!
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by VAisForEagleLovers View Post
    I thought I'd revive this thread since the comment I want to make pertains to all the concerts and not just one. I've seen a few of these shows now and each time I take away something different. My favorite songs tend to be OOTN and NKIT just because they're my two favorite and both added back to the setlist for this tour. However, as much as I've always like Doolin' Dalton, the Doolin' Dalton / Desperado Reprise is an absolute stellar performance. It far surpasses DD and Desperado in my mind. They play it like they've played it at every show for 40+ years - perfectly. I've noticed that it tends to get short shrift in the reviews, so I guess that makes it one of the most underrated songs in the setlist. It's another one of those songs I wish they'd record in the live version. IMO, the recorded version back in 1973 sounds like filler. The new, live version sounds like the best of two worlds.
    I agree with your praise of the live performance of DD/DR during this tour, however, I have always loved the recorded version as well. I also love the old footage of performances of this song.

I'm glad you revived the thread as I was just thinking about a general comment I wanted to make & I had forgotten about this thread. It is surprising to me (although it really shouldn't be) that when I say I have been to an Eagles' concert how many people immediately tell me that they are jealous. Some are people that I would never expect to be Eagles' fans, including people in their seventies. Just reinforces the fact that their music appeals to all ages.

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Yep - I also totally agree about the DD/Desperado Reprise. Like GL, I have always loved the recorded version, and to see Doolin-Dalton and the reprise live is the highlight of the show for me. I never thought I'd ever get to see them.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Border Troubadour

I think D-D/DR would make a better end song than Desperado, it's much more beautiful and the harmony at the end is breathtaking. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think it's the best vocal harmony the Eagles did pre-SBR. Imagine ending the show with all five of them going at one harmony, the very thing that made them such a prospect to Glyn Johns back in 1971.

Anyway, a couple of questions from me - during BOML do they use a slide guitar like Felder used to back in the 70s or is it just Walsh / Smith playing a standard electric? Also does Glenn play piano on anything? I get the impression that over the years he's become more and more attached to his guitar, especially now they have three backing keyboardists. Would be great to see him on it for stuff like Desperado, OOTN and RMW like he was back in't day, but I suspect the answer's no

Quote Originally Posted by thelastresort View Post
    I think D-D/DR would make a better end song than Desperado, it's much more beautiful and the harmony at the end is breathtaking. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think it's the best vocal harmony the Eagles did pre-SBR. Imagine ending the show with all five of them going at one harmony, the very thing that made them such a prospect to Glyn Johns back in 1971.

Anyway, a couple of questions from me - during BOML do they use a slide guitar like Felder used to back in the 70s or is it just Walsh / Smith playing a standard electric? Also does Glenn play piano on anything? I get the impression that over the years he's become more and more attached to his guitar, especially now they have three backing keyboardists. Would be great to see him on it for stuff like Desperado, OOTN and RMW like he was back in't day, but I suspect the answer's no
    Glenn plays keyboard on ICTYW like he always has. He doesn't play piano at all. He plays guitar on everything else. Sorry, I can't answer your question on BOML. I either didn't notice or don't remember (old age you know).

TLR, I think you are asking if anybody plays steel guitar on BOML. I don't think so...I think Stueart plays slide guitar.
    ~ Cathy ~

And I dream I'm on vacation 'Cause I like the way that sounds,
    It's a perfect occupation for me.

... On a journey from innocence to experience..... In Ireland!

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    Yep - I also totally agree about the DD/Desperado Reprise. Like GL, I have always loved the recorded version, and to see Doolin-Dalton and the reprise live is the highlight of the show for me. I never thought I'd ever get to see them.
    That part of the show for me (watching the reprise) was absolutely spine chilling!! I really loved it and just cannot wait to see all this again.

I refuse to call this a concert when I tell anyone about it. It is so much more than merely some guys up singing. Its a whole production, woven together by narrative from the main players. Even now, two weeks after, I see a pic that I took, or a song flashes into my head and I remember something else from the show. I really say to anyone, if you do nothing else, catch the Eagles when they come to your home town or the place nearest to it that you can get to. It is only spectacular!!
    'I must be leaving soon... its your world now'
    Glenn Frey 1948-2016 RIP

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

In case any of you are wondering how those "no cell phones" announcements at the arenas are created.

https://www.periscope.tv/w/aHa4NDY1N...Egf_X1kXJ99lrM
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.