Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Moments In Eagles History Border Poll - Round 2

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Default Re: Greatest Moments In Eagles History Border Poll - Round 2

Quote Originally Posted by Topkat View Post
    Is this like Survivor? Does something get eliminated each round?
    No TK - this will be the final round. We are just narrowing it down to a Top 10 list.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    No TK - this will be the final round. We are just narrowing it down to a Top 10 list.
    Oh, OK, I was a little confused!

1> #25 1999 Eagles are named Artist of the Century & Greatest Hits 1971-75 certified best selling album.

2> #24 1998 Eagles inducted into R&R HOF & all 7 Eagles appear on the same stage

3> #23 1994 Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape the MTV concert & record HFO album

4> #16 1976 Hotel California the bands 5th album is released

5> #3 1972 Eagles release self titled album

6> #13 1975 OOTN becomes the bands first #1 album

7> #9 1974 Eagles add official 5th member , Don Felder to help them achieve a more rockier sound

8> #15 1976 Eagles win first Grammy for Lyin' Eyes

9> #18 1978 Eagles win Grammy Awards for Hotel California (single) & New Kid in Town

10> #2 1971 Glenn, Don, Bernie & Randy perform together for the first time as Linda Ronstadt's back up band.

Once again, I am going with the events that would be their 'greatest moments' to me, and not necessarily with their most important or 'defining' moments for the band, as others have suggested.
    So, I rank those early stages of the band and the music itself as the greatest moments, and once again cannot consider Bernie being replaced in the band as a 'great moment' at all. Likewise, although certainly a big turning point for the success and future direction of the band, I don't consider them dumping producer Glyn Johns (who is a great producer) and hiring Bill Szymczyk as a 'great moment'.
    Anyway, here's my take:

1. #1. 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley with a beer at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band
    2. #2. 1971: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner perform together for the first time as a backup band for Linda Ronstadt
    3. #3. 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released
    4. #9. 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released
    5. #5. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together
    6. #12. 1999: Eagles are named as the Artist of the Century and Their Greatest Hits: 1971 -1975 is certified as the all-time best-selling album by the RIAA
    7. #10. 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape an MTV concert and record Hell Freezes Over album
    8. #11. 1998: Eagles are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, which is the only time all seven band members have appeared on the same stage together
    9. #4. 1972: Take It Easy becomes the band’s first hit single
    10. #7. 1974: Eagles add an official fifth member, Don Felder, to help them achieve a rockier sound
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

FINAL REMINDER:

Everyone has until this Friday, 3/22 at 8:00 p.m. EST to post their list for Round 2.

(And TK - you already posted a list for this round on Page 1 of this thread, so I can't count your last one. No cheating Missy!!! )

Okay - Here is my list ...

1. #1 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley with a beer at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band
    2. #5 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together
    3. #6 1973: The disgruntled band abandons recording their third album under Glyn Johns and David Geffen and returns to America to hire a new producer, Bill Szymczyk and manager, Irving Azoff
    4. #10 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape an MTV concert and record Hell Freezes Over album
    5. #11 1998: Eagles are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, which is the only time all seven band members have appeared on the same stage together
    6. #12 1999: Eagles are named as the Artist of the Century and Their Greatest Hits: 1971 -1975 is certified as the all-time best-selling album by the RIAA
    7. #8 1975: Joe Walsh replaces Bernie Leadon to complete their transition from a country rock to a rock and roll band
    8. #2 1971: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner perform together for the first time as a backup band for Linda Ronstadt
    9. #9 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released
    10. #3 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released
    I didn't want to leave any of these events off of the list, but I thought that some of them were similar so that helped me decide. For example, I think the Eagles LP and Take It Easy being released are very similar, so I did not include Take It Easy. Also, I think that Felder and Walsh joining the band had a very similar impact, which was to provide a rockier sound. I decided Joe was more valuable so I left off Felder.

oh shoot glad you reminded me...

1.#1.1971 Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley with a beer at the Troubadour with the ide of forming a band

2.#2.1971 Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon and Randy Meisner perform together for the first time as a backup band for Linda Ronstadt

3.#5.1972 Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together

4.#9.1976 Hotel California- the band's fifth album is released

5.#8.1975 Joe Walsh replaces Bernie Leadon to complete their transition from a country rock to a rock and roll band

6.#3.1972 Eagles- the band's self titled first album is released

7.# 6.The disgruntled band abandons recording their third album under Glyn Johns and David Geffen and returns to America to hire a new producer Bill Szymczyk and manager Irving Azoff

8.#7. 1974 Eagles add an official fifth member Don Felder to help them achieve a rockier sound

9.#10.Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape an MTV concert and record Hell Freezes over album

10.#12Eagles are named as the Artist of the Century and their Greatest Hits: 1971-1975 is certified as the all time best selling album by the RIAA

Z - Normally our cutoff rule is that the timestamp on your post must be before the clock strikes 8:00 p.m. However, even though your post changes the final outcome of the poll, I'll go ahead and count it since we are at the end. However, I'm going to have to recalculate the totals so it will be later before I can post the final results.

don't worry about mine then..it's ok...not a big deal

Sorry, I wasn't able to get around to this last night, but I am now going to post the final results of our poll. I'm going to post the results both with and without zelda's list. Normally, I would have just posted a final one, but her list only changed the results slightly, but created a tie for the final spot. So anyway, here's the list according to those Borderers who participated, the Top 10 Greatest Eagles moments are ...

Greatest Moments in Eagles History

1. 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band 82 points

2. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together 78 points

3. 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape MTV concert & record Hell Freezes Over album 74 points

4. 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released 59 points

5. 1971: Frey, Henley, Leadon, & Meisner perform together for 1st time as backup for Ronstadt 53 points

6. 1972: Take It Easy becomes the band’s first hit single 51 points

7. 1975: Walsh replaces Leadon to complete transition from country rock to rock and roll band 49 points

8. 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released 48 points

9. 1998: Eagles inducted in R&R HOF in 1st yr of eligibility; only time all 7 members appear together 45 points

10. 1999: RIAA names Eagles Artist of Century & Greatest Hits certified all-time best-selling album 43 points

11. 1974: Eagles add an official fifth member, Don Felder, to help them achieve a rockier sound 41 points
    12. 1973: band abandons recording in London under G. Johns & D. Geffen and hires Szymczyk & Azoff 37 points

And the results with zelda's list included ...

1. 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band 92 points

2. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together 86 points

3. 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape MTV concert & record Hell Freezes Over album 76 points

4. 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released 66 points

5. 1971: Frey, Henley, Leadon, & Meisner perform together for 1st time as backup for Ronstadt 62 points

6. 1975: Walsh replaces Leadon to complete transition from country rock to rock and roll band 55 points

7. 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released 53 points

8. 1972: Take It Easy becomes the band’s first hit single 51 points

9. 1998: Eagles inducted in R&R HOF in 1st yr of eligibility; only time all 7 members appear together 45 points

10./11. 1999: RIAA names Eagles Artist of Century & Greatest Hits certified all-time best-selling album 44 points (tie)

10/11. 1974: Eagles add an official fifth member, Don Felder, to help them achieve a rockier sound 44 points (tie)

12. 1973: band abandons recording in London under G. Johns & D. Geffen and hires Szymczyk & Azoff 41 points

Thanks to everyone who participated and hope you found this interesting.