Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Moments In Eagles History Border Poll - Round 1

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Default Re: Greatest Moments In Eagles History Border Poll - Round 1

This was so difficult!! So many great moments wouldn't have happened without the moments before them, first of all. Second, there's great moments for me and there's great moments for them. I like that they won Grammy's, but the awards don't do much for me and what I think of them.

Lastly, I tried to limit mine to 'great' moments and not 'defining' moments. Firing Felder was a defining moment, but certainly not great, in my eyes. Same for them breaking up back in 1980, defining but hardly great.

Here are my choices...

#1 - 1. 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley with a beer at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band
    #2 - 3. 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released
    #3 - 5. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together
    #4 - 9. 1974: Eagles add an official fifth member, Don Felder, to help them achieve a rockier sound
    #5 - 16. 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released
    #6 - 14. 1975: Joe Walsh replaces Bernie Leadon to complete their transition from a country rock to a rock and roll band
    #7 - 23. 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape an MTV concert and record Hell Freezes Over album
    #8 - 24. 1998: Eagles are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, which is the only time all seven band members have appeared on the same stage together
    #9 - 28. 2007: Long Road Out of Eden – the band’s first album in 29 years is released
    #10 - 25. 1999: Eagles are named as the Artist of the Century and Their Greatest Hits: 1971 -1975 is certified as the all-time best-selling album by the RIAA
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

Ok, ok, this was really tough for me too. I'm really bad at these kinds of lists. I don't know, I just get all doubtful about all the choices and am overwhelmed.

I don't see how anyone could leave off the first three at all. There would be no Eagles without them!

My list is just like VA's. I think it's perfect!

#1 - 1. 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley with a beer at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band
    #2 - 3. 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released
    #3 - 5. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together
    #4 - 9. 1974: Eagles add an official fifth member, Don Felder, to help them achieve a rockier sound
    #5 - 16. 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released
    #6 - 14. 1975: Joe Walsh replaces Bernie Leadon to complete their transition from a country rock to a rock and roll band
    #7 - 23. 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape an MTV concert and record Hell Freezes Over album
    #8 - 24. 1998: Eagles are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, which is the only time all seven band members have appeared on the same stage together
    #9 - 28. 2007: Long Road Out of Eden – the band’s first album in 29 years is released
    #10 - 25. 1999: Eagles are named as the Artist of the Century and Their Greatest Hits: 1971 -1975 is certified as the all-time best-selling album by the RIAA
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Stuck on the Border VAisForEagleLovers's Avatar

Hey, that's cheating!! Dreamer, she copied her answers from me!!

Haha, great minds think alike! Actually, I don't find it too surprising that we agree.
    VK

You can't change the world but you can change yourself.

Down some endless road just south of nowhere (Missouri)

VA, yeah I did, but like I said, it's perfect!
    https://i.imgur.com/CuSdAQM.jpg
    "They will never forget you 'till somebody new comes along"
    1948-2016 Gone but not forgotten

Out on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by Ive always been a dreamer View Post
    yekrut - I was in the process of tallying your list and I realized that you included Moment #1 in your list twice. If that is an error, can you either edit your list or either repost a new list. Thanks.
    I fixed it.

I suppose I look at this a little differently than most others, as for me, the early days of the band were their best, so they reflect most of the greatest moments. I also agree with others, that there is a big difference between 'greatest moments' and important events in the band's history. I don't think any Eagles fan would consider the group disbanding, or the firing of Felder as 'great moments' for the band, but they were important events. I am going strictly with 'Great moments'.
    And, although I love Joe and Tim in the current band, I would never call Joe replacing Bernie, or Tim replacing Randy as 'great moments'. Bernie is still my favorite Eagle, so how could him leaving be a great moment? I also don't put much stock in what songs became #1 hits or won Grammies, etc. For me, the greatest moments have to do mainly with the music itself, thus the release of their best albums all rank as great moments to me. And since I think Desperado was their crowning achievement, I placed that as #1 (also placed it #1 because I fear few others will include it on their lists and it needs all the points it can get).
    But, of the more recent events, certainly being named as Artist of the Century, and having the top-selling album of all-time truly has to be a Great moment.

So, here is my list:
    1. #6. 1973: Desperado – the band’s second album and first concept album is released
    2. #2. 1971: Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, and Randy Meisner perform together for the first time as a backup band for Linda Ronstadt
    3. #1. 1971: Glenn Frey befriends Don Henley with a beer at the Troubadour with the idea of forming a band
    4. #3. 1972: Eagles – the band’s self-titled first album is released
    5. #16. 1976: Hotel California – the band’s fifth album is released
    6. #25. 1999: Eagles are named as the Artist of the Century and Their Greatest Hits: 1971 -1975 is certified as the all-time best-selling album by the RIAA
    7. #8. 1974: On the Border – the band’s third album is released
    8. #23. 1994: Eagles reunite after 14 years to tape an MTV concert and record Hell Freezes Over album
    9. #24. 1998: Eagles are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility, which is the only time all seven band members have appeared on the same stage together
    10. #5. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together (note:i placed this a bit lower down than others because this would have happened at some point regardless, and is not as much of a particular special moment as the others, but still, of course, quite important).
    BBKron

Check out my music blog, the BB Chronicles at http://bbchron.blogspot.com

Stuck on the Border

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    10. #5. 1972: Don Henley and Glenn Frey collaborate to write their first songs together (note:i placed this a bit lower down than others because this would have happened at some point regardless, and is not as much of a particular special moment as the others, but still, of course, quite important).
    I don't agree that that can just be assumed. Regardless, I regard it as extremely important. It was the beginning of a great songwriting partnership which defined the band.

Quote Originally Posted by BBKron View Post
    And, although I love Joe and Tim in the current band, I would never call Joe replacing Bernie, or Tim replacing Randy as 'great moments'. Bernie is still my favorite Eagle, so how could him leaving be a great moment?
    It's not meant to be disrespectful to either of them, it's just that their leaving the band made way for a new sound so to speak and it marked a change in direction. Some prefer the country/country-rock days, and others such as myself prefer the classic rock mainstream sound and songs that came with Walsh. I prefer Walsh to Leadon, but I respect that Leadon paved the way and was a founding member. But I liked that change not because I liked seeing Leadon leave, but rather what it brought sonically and how the sound changed to rock n' roll that happened with Walsh joining. I love the classic rock tunes that came with Hotel California including the title track, and I love the other tunes from the album and Long Run. I did like some of the earlier songs with Felder as they were more rockin and less of that bluegrass thing I don't care for.

Stuck on the Border TimothyBFan's Avatar

I see what some are saying... maybe "Greatest Moments" should be thought of as "Defining Moments"?
    He sings it high, he plays it low

Moderator Ive always been a dreamer's Avatar
    Cruising down the center of a two-way street in VA

Quote Originally Posted by yekrut View Post
    I fixed it.
    Thanks, yekrut.

"People don't run out of dreams: People just run out of time ..."
    Glenn Frey 11/06/1948 - 01/18/2016